Sophia L

Still scanning? 5 hours? Could it be malware's "tricks"? Help, NOW?

Help, please! :cry:

Hi guys. First time posting here, thanks for a great resource.

My HP Pavilion laptop has been going berserk and getting worse. Avast, I think, found Win32 PUP and quarantined it but nothing improved, to the contrary. Laptop was running great until reboot and then all hell broke loose again. I found that win32 PUP can "resurrect" itself during reboot. I ran the Free edition last night and it found nothing. It was recommended to me to run it again in Safe Mode. I am running the free edition right now, in SAFE MODE, on the highest power setting. In the first 2 minutes, it found 1 Adware Tracking cookie and 66 (!) Secirity.HiJack. BUT...

it has been running, in Safe Mode, for 5 hours now!

It's not crashed, because I can see names of different files being scanned "running" under Scanning Progress , but 5 hours? Even on an older laptop?.. It hasn't detected any threats after the 67 it got in the first two minutes of the scan. Is it at all possible to run that long or do you think it's the malware making it go in circles?

What do you think I should do? Thanks in advance!

Try running a complete scan in safe mode. If you have the same issue, try disabling real-time protection when running the scan. If that fails, try these:

Open SUPERAntiSpyware, select a Complete Scan then click on 'Scan Your Computer' - this will open a scan options window. In the lower right corner of this window is an option that says 'Scan Inside Zip Files' - please UNCHECK this. Exit SUPERAntiSpyware by right-clicking the bug icon and clicking "Exit," then restart it and run a scan.

If that doesn't fix it, try this:

Open SUPERAntiSpyware, click on Preferences, go to the Scanning Control tab, and then UNCHECK the 2nd to last, 3rd to last, and 4th to last options in the list -- they will be named 'Kernel Direct File', 'Kernel Direct Registry' and 'Direct Disk'. Please UNCHECK these. Exit SUPERAntiSpyware by right-clicking the bug icon and clicking "Exit," then restart it and run a scan.

I have a similar problem but it appears to be stuck in Temporary Internet Files. However, I have delete most of the files through Internet Options and when I look at the “Files” there, there are only a few. It almost seems like it looking at an “old” Temporary Internet Files location.