Clark2011

Can't delete four entries

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP. I have scanned three times using SAS and I keep getting the same four entries:

PUP.CNETInstaller

PUP.SoftonicDownloader

Heur.Agent/Gen-WhiteBox

PUP.Adinstaller

Are they viruses or any harmful software? They seem to be deleted but they reappear every time I reboot and scan my machine.

I would really appreciate if you could help me out.

Thanks.

Hi Clark,

These detection rules are all what we call 'notify' rules. If a file gets detected by one of these rules then we notify the user by showing the result in the usual 'items found' window, HOWEVER, in order to actually delete these items you need to click the checkbox next to each of these items in the window. If you do not check these, then they are not removed. This is probably what you are experiencing.

The reason we have 'notify' rules is because some of our rules are more heurisitics based so we like to err on the side of caution, and also because some programs are not really 'malicious' per se but may be unwanted (hence the PUP prefix to the detection rules, it means Potentially Unwanted Program) so we don't want to remove the item automatically, we notify the user and leave that choice up to the user since their PC is not in iminent danger from PUP items.

Next time you run a scan and these items come up, make sure to check the checkboxes next to each of these that you wish to be deleted.

Have a good day!

Hello,

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I checked the textboxes but, for some reason, I was able to delete them in the fourth scan!

Anyway, I really appreciate the explanation, a great help.

Thanks a lot!

Dear Friends: in the first place, scuse me the orthografic mistekes and sintax errors, I do not speak english I am a Sudamerican guy. Want talk something about Iminent: SASJoe: IMINENT yes it is a malicious software, after invader the computer, change plenty of my programs configuratios, is very dificult uninstaler with the panel Control because is achored in the registry with 235 entries, for my, the once form for uninstaller was go to Start >> Execute>> Regedit>> Edit>> search Iminent and delete one by one any register folder were are the word Iminent. four hours of work...

I want suggest, may be, if all of we, sent a mail, to all the antiviruses and Malware makers, requesting that include IMINENT Software in the data base of viruses and Malwares... The Union Makes Streng. The addres of SUPERAntiSpyware do you know, also may be send a such mail to AVG Antiviruses email jamie@avg.com ; Malwarebytes Antimalware email: eay@cryptsoft.com... I have not the address of Karspersky yet.

Best regards from Argentine

Bahia Blanca City (White Bay for the salt in the coast) 38º.44' Lat South - 62º.16' Long West.

George Lopez