Sign in to follow this  
GarbageGuts

Program Update Preferences - Ignore Language Files

It has long been a pet peeve of mine, in Applications and the Windoze operating system itself, that when you select your preferred language for installation - ALL language files are copied willy-nilly from the installation cabs to your hard drive.

This, IMHO is just inefficient or lazy coding.

Do they expect me to some day be struck by lightning and suddenly be able to read Lithuanian or Mandarin? :P

While hard drive size is no longer an issue for most users, there are instances where "Registry-Bloat" is created by all the extraneous and unnecessary language entries. Some of the worst offenders in this regard are Quick-Time, iTunes, Nero and MS Silverlight.

I have been successful in most cases with manually deleting unneccessary language files and using CCleaner to zap corresponding dead registry entries with no ill effects (Nero being the one notable exception - it just coughs up a furball if I try to delete anything) --- resulting in:

- faster boot times

- faster malware and virus scans

- faster (and smaller) full system image back-ups.

All of the previous RANT brings me to my suggestion for SUPERAntiSpyware:

When I manually delete unnecessary language files from SUPERAntiSpyware, the program still starts, runs and scans without problems, but continues to present available language files as Program Updates on Start-up unless I turn off the Program Update check completely.

Can you add a setting to the Program Updates preferences to IGNORE language files while retaining the capability of checking the latest program version number? Seems to me that this should be something not too difficult to do.

Love your program and THANKS in advance for your consideration in this matter. :rolleyes: