jadda

PC Tools is stealing SAS icon!

Hello :)

I just noticed something. You know the beetle SAS have in the system tray and first page? I noticed PC Tool's Spyware Doctor has the exact same beetle!

So, who had it first? Did PC Tools steal our fabolous beetle?!

See screens below.

spill2gs4.jpg

spillinnegc4.jpg

spillinnbh9.jpg

Hello :)

I just noticed something. You know the beetle SAS have in the system tray and first page? I noticed PC Tool's Spyware Doctor has the exact same beetle!

So, who had it first? Did PC Tools steal our fabolous beetle?!

See screens below.

spill2gs4.jpg

spillinnegc4.jpg

spillinnbh9.jpg

They are part of common icon sets that are available on the Internet - we were using it first, but we don't own it exclusively.

Thanks for the reply!

Ahh, ok. But great to hear that you had it first!

PC Tools can use their own icon. Because SAS is the best and everything SAS has is exclusive imo. 8)

Thanks Nick! Keep up the good work.

Speaking of PC tools. If you have a copy of their product, they will re-register you automatically at the end of a year and charge your Visa. Then they'll e-mail you and tell you they did it, UNLESS you were sharp enough to uncheck that option when you bought it initially. You have 48 hours to cancel or it'll be too late.

Yeah, I've heard that. And I do not use PC Tools products. Even if they have been on this market for a long time and can their stuff, they doesn't play fair. As if you try out the trial of Spyware Doctor, it says your infected, but you have to buy a license to remove the spyware. But if you then buy a license, you suddently aren't infected anymore.

Speaking of PC tools. If you have a copy of their product, they will re-register you automatically at the end of a year and charge your Visa. Then they'll e-mail you and tell you they did it, UNLESS you were sharp enough to uncheck that option when you bought it initially. You have 48 hours to cancel or it'll be too late.

Yeah, I've heard that. And I do not use PC Tools products. Even if they have been on this market for a long time and can their stuff, they doesn't play fair. As if you try out the trial of Spyware Doctor, it says your infected, but you have to buy a license to remove the spyware. But if you then buy a license, you suddently aren't infected anymore.

I have the e-mails to varify it. :)

Yep, I got bitten with that one too, and have made quite bit of 'noise' over there about some of PCTools business policies...However on the issue of the bug. I used SD for quite a while and I have had SAS about 3-4 months now and you know I never noticed that the bugs where similar.

My focus is on how the program works and I like a nice 'easy to navigate' interface, I never really study the small aesthetic details of the GUI. That being said maybe it's time for an eyetest :lol:

i don't like the way that pctools automatically renews subscriptions, either, but they are not the only ones that are doing that.. "computer associates" and "symantec" do it, though symantec is not aggressive in doing it; they, symantec, makes it easy to opt out of the automatic renewals..

with computer associates, you have to email them and tell them not to do it, and hope they get it right..

i am leary of pctools, but i think they are good about giving refunds to those who ask for them after their subscriptions were automatically renewed..

imo, this automatic subscription renewal stuff is really wrong..just an example of how we the people are getting screwed.. how can these cretons presume to take money out of our accounts unless we tell them not to do it? it ought to be the other way around where they cannot take money out of our bank accounts unless we first give them permission to do it..

then again, these days, all the vendors seem to presume that we all are complete total morons.. they would say "people are morons so we help them out by automatically renewing their subscriptions".. maybe they have a point, or they made that point, arguing that malware is at epidemic levels and most people don't have the good sense to use antivirus programs, and so, in the public interest, the government allows these vendors to do what they are doing..

Yep, I got bitten with that one too, and have made quite bit of 'noise' over there about some of PCTools business policies...However on the issue of the bug. I used SD for quite a while and I have had SAS about 3-4 months now and you know I never noticed that the bugs where similar.

My focus is on how the program works and I like a nice 'easy to navigate' interface, I never really study the small aesthetic details of the GUI. That being said maybe it's time for an eyetest :lol:

And I thought You were crazy about system bugs?Luckily that is the only common 'bug' !

!However the 'entertainment value' of running SDv5 is unbeatable! :lol:

And I thought You were crazy about system bugs?Luckily that is the only common 'bug' !

!However the 'entertainment value' of running SDv5 is unbeatable! :lol:

LOL, I guess I'm a bit 'voyeristic', I like to watch my 'entertaiment' from the side but not take part. I think Vista has enough wee 'bugs' here and there for me without intentionlly turning it into an 'ant farm'. :lol:

When it comes to keeping antispyware off my PC I've been very happy with SAS, but for entertainment value, sure the SD forum is still priceless. :lol:

When it comes to keeping antispyware off my PC I've been very happy with SAS, but for entertainment value, sure the SD forum is still priceless. :lol:

Hi Saxel matie, don't you mean "when it comes to keeping spyware off my PC" instead of antispyware :lol:

You know everything I read on antispyware programs everyone is of the opinion that to run one with real-time monitoring you pay the price on your system resources and have to trade off security with some degree of system 'lag' or slowdown. Not the case with SAS Pro so that makes me very happy with it too.

I have yet to catch some spyware/malware, perhaps I need to be less of a 'goody two shoes' and get a little bit more 'risque' with my internet habits :P But I do like having 'a peace of mind' in place just in case! :wink:

I've heard this from a few people now. I just added one more company to the mental list I have of companies I'll never give my business to.

Being a goody two shoes has nothing to do with it. Just access www.disney.com or www.cartoonnetwork.com and watch the cookies and dataminers accumulate. :lol:

LOL, those are two sites I must admit I have never visited, (bet my Sister's kids have though)! I must be getting a bit 'over the hill'. :lol:

I have always handled cookies through browser settings and regular cache cleaning, and don't see them as a major 'threat'. Never get any of those on a scan either. (Scans are very boring on my PC really :roll: ).

I know there is no 'fool proof' way to avoid getting infected but common sense and safe'er' surfing practices do go a long way! Has worked for me well for many a year (touch wood :wink:).