JerryM

When a Comparative Test?

Hi Nick,

Do you have some estimate or info as to when SAS might be included in a good/unbiased comparative AS test?

It would be interesting to compare SAS with the top anti-spyware applications. I wish there was an AS test org such as AV Comparatives that would give an in-depth test of detection rates and removal capabilities.

I am not sure if there are any test groups like that, but what is your best estimate of when a good test might take place?

Thanks,

Jerry

Can I assume that there are no plans at this time?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry - I am not sure when SAS will be included, it is kind of up to the various testing sites - we have let them all know about our product.

I am not overly impressed with many of the tests people do because they do not test an application over a period of time, they are typically one-time tests and that does not show the strength of the application nor company behind it - meaning on any given day, one product will outperform another - we pride ourselves in keeping up on the latest zero-day threats.

Nick,

Thanks for the information. I have some idea of the problems, and if magazines do it I consider that they are, in general, biased.

However, most of us have no measurement of how good an application is except what is reported as a result of the various tests. I wish someone like AV Comparatives would do such a test.

My own priority is the ability to detect, prevent, and remove malware. I know that the tests organizations/magazines include things such as ease of use, speed of scans, and such.

While those are not unimportant, they are often given too much weight in my view.

Thanks again for the reply, and maybe in the not too distant future a good series of tests will be conducted. That would be useful.

Regards,

Jerry

Here is one comparative test report that has surfaced:

Ninth Round (August 7, 2006):

Cleanup Success Rate for Entry-based Viewpoint:

‧Trend Micro Anti-Spyware: 74.02%

‧Webroot Spy Sweeper: 58.27%

‧McAfee antispyware: 56.69%

‧Sunbelt CounterSpy: 53.54%

‧PC Tools Spyware Doctor: 50.39%

‧Lavasoft Ad-Aware: 48.82%

‧F-Secure Internet Security: 46.47%

‧ZoneAlarm Anti-spyware: 43.31%

‧Panda Platinum Internet Security: 40.16%

‧Norton Internet Security: 38.58%

‧Microsoft Windows Defender: 38.58%

‧ewido anti-malware: 37.80%

‧Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro: 35.43%

‧SUPERAntispyware: 35.43%

‧Kaspersky Internet Security: 25.98%

‧Aluria Anti-Spyware: 25.20%

‧Computer Associate Anti-Spyware: 22.83%

‧NOD32: 17.32%

‧Spybot S&D: 11.81%

http://www.malware-test.com/test_reports.html

Ninth Round (August 7, 2006):

Cleanup Success Rate for Entry-based Viewpoint:

‧Norton Internet Security: 38.58%

‧Microsoft Windows Defender: 38.58%

‧SUPERAntispyware: 35.43%

‧Aluria Anti-Spyware: 25.20%

‧Computer Associate Anti-Spyware: 22.83%

‧NOD32: 17.32%

http://www.malware-test.com/test_reports.html

Thank you, we have viewed this test and they are testing by placing all the samples in a single folder and scanning - the test is not representative of a real-world spyware infection, which is what SUPERAntiSpyware focuses on.

We hope they will organize a real test of actual infections - SUPERAntiSpyware will fair much better as that is what it is designed to do - fight spyware infections in the real-world.

I have used all of these in my machine over the past year on both mines and my sons machine, and can say without doubt SAS leaves them all way behind. Therefore I tend to take reviews of this kind with a large pinch of salt as they are nearly always biased towards one product or other.

Yep, I tend to agree with y'all concerning not placing too much faith in most of the "test results".

With spyware/anti-spyware being the buzz nowadays, I am amazed someone hasn't established an internationally accepted testing facility with recognized/certified standards of testing that could/would supply government/corporate/consumers with truly representative comparison tests. Seems like there is some money to be made with a venture such as this and wouldn't take a substantial startup investment...maybe. :wink:

While I am also happy with SAS, and believe that Nick is making every attempt to develop the best product, it is difficult to evaluate SAS's effectiveness. I haven't had infections, but I did not have them before SAS.

I will be glad to see some good tests that do a good job of evaluating the various AS applications.

For me, the bottom line is detection and removal rates, assuming it works well on my systems.

Best,

Jerry