ams963

mbam+sas=conflict ?

Hi,

I've been using Malwarebytes Antimalware Pro for sometime now without any problem. And have been using SuperAntispyware free as on-demand scanner. I've SAS Pro in another computer.

But now I'm planning to remove the SAS Pro from that pc and add it to the one with MBAM Pro.

Now we all know that MBAM Pro is compatible with other av or security software, infact it supplements and complements the av or internet security or whatever. And so does SAS Pro.

But will the two supplement and complement each other and the av or just conflict?

Best Regards,

ams963

Now we all know that MBAM Pro is compatible with other av or security software, in fact it supplements and complements the av or internet security or whatever. And so does SAS Pro.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro (MBAM Pro) is not as compatible with anti-virus software as its makers would like you to believe. In most cases, it does gets along fine with most anti-virus programs. However, there are plenty of issues that come up regardless, and it greatly benefits the makers of MBAM Pro if they can downplay those issues. In other words, they can sell a lot more of their software if they can convince you that it's compatible with all other security software — because then it doesn't rule anyone out from buying it,

However, their claim of universal compatibility is greatly overstated. It's simply not a given that it's always going to supplement and complement any other security software that may be on your system. Spend a few hours on some of the forums for any of the various anti-virus vendors, and you will see issues caused by incompatibily problems with MBAM Pro being reported all of the time.

But will the two supplement and complement each other and the av or just conflict?

If you are running an anti-virus program and SUPERAntiSpyware Pro — and plan to add MBAM Pro to the mix too, you can be assured that you're going to have issues. Some experts do not even advise running any anti-malware programs (with real-time protection) along with your anti-virus. Most, however, feel that it's okay to run one of each (i.e., one anti-virus program and one anti-malware program). Good luck finding even one single expert that says running anything more than that is a good idea. In other words, more is not better. The multiple programs will handicap and cripple each other, and instead of increased security, you will have reduced security.

Running NOD32, SAS Pro and MBAM without any issues here.

You didn't specify which version of Malwarebytes that you're running. If you're only using the free version, then you're fine; it's only an on-demand scanner. However, if you're running the Pro version (with real-time protection), along with the other two products that also have real-time protection, then you have issues present in your system that you do not even realize.

The issues caused by running too many security programs are not obvious ones. You have no way of being able to tell whether they exist or not. Most people wrongly assume that everything is fine between the multiple programs (and that no issues exist) — .as long as their system hasn't crashed or slowed down (or anything obvious like that). However, that isn't the case. The issues are between the programs themselves, and since these issues do not generally affect the performance of the computer itself, they are not something that you, the user, has any way of knowing about. Everything may seem to be fine, when in reality, it isn't.

Yes I'm running the free version of MBAM.

Okay, good. The free version of MBAM doesn't have any processes that run when it's not being used, so there won't be any issues with it interfering with the others.

You have a good setup: one anti-virus program as your primary protection, a complementary anti-malware program with real-time protection (i.e., SUPERAntiSpyware Pro), and a very solid on-demand scanner (i.e., Malwarebytes Free). That's all you need. :-) Anything more would be overkill.

thx a lot SAS Customer Service, DooGie and JohnnySokko........

@JohnnySokko

I've been using mbam with an av for a long time.....so I don't think mbam compatibility with other av is an issue...as I've already said in post #1 mbam and sas are compatible and complement other av......I just wanted to know if the same is true for mbam and sas when used together.....and besides a large number of user experience on mbam compatiblity with an av across numerous forums more than outweighs and disapproves your claim that mbam is not compatible with other security software........

Best Regards,

ams963

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro (MBAM Pro) is not as compatible with anti-virus software as its makers would like you to believe. In most cases, it does gets along fine with most anti-virus programs. However, there are plenty of issues that come up regardless, and it greatly benefits the makers of MBAM Pro if they can downplay those issues. In other words, they can sell a lot more of their software if they can convince you that it's compatible with all other security software — because then it doesn't rule anyone out from buying it,

However, their claim of universal compatibility is greatly overstated. It's simply not a given that it's always going to supplement and complement any other security software that may be on your system. Spend a few hours on some of the forums for any of the various anti-virus vendors, and you will see issues caused by incompatibily problems with MBAM Pro being reported all of the time.

No one ever claimed it was universally compatible with any other security software. However in most cases it is quite compatible. Oh believe me I've spent more than a few hours on many of these other forums and in most cases the user giving the advice that it is not compatible doesn't even know how to setup exclusions.

I will admit that there are a couple Anti-Virus products that are very difficult for the average user to setup exclusions but that is simply due to the complexity of the interface of the Anti-Virus product. It can be setup, but is more difficult than most others.

Trend Micro Worry Free Business edition It can be setup, but even advanced admins seem to have trouble with this one

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.x (this one ignores it's own exclusion setting and has documented it on their website as to be fixed in a future update)

McAfee Anti-Virus (ISP version) This version has a modified interaface that does not allow any exclusions to be set (highly recommend not using the product and if you really want McAfee spend the money and get the Full Retail version that does allow exclusions)

ESET NOD32 is the only Anti-Virus that I'm aware of that works with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware right out of the box with no exclusions

I'm open for technical discussion about this if you like JohnnySokko - please show me evidence that our prodcut is not compatible and if I can confirm your statement I'll say so here. At this time the only one that I'm aware of is the McAfee version supplied by some ISP companies - all the others work if exclusions are setup correctly.

If you are running an anti-virus program and SUPERAntiSpyware Pro — and plan to add MBAM Pro to the mix too, you can be assured that you're going to have issues.

I'm not so sure that is true - It is possible though becuase the more security software you add to the mix the more difficult it will be for them to all work together properly. However I have seen more than a few users post that both are working for them. I have not personally tested all 3 in combinations with different AV so I can only go by what some users have posted.

Some experts do not even advise running any anti-malware programs (with real-time protection) along with your anti-virus.

Not sure who qualifies as an "Expert" as even most helpers with training do not spend hours and hours analyzing and debugging code at that level. Many certainly do not advise more than one Anti-Virus product because often they work at such a low leve that it's often too difficult or unavailable to exclude the AV from each other adequately. However in many tests we have so far not found that to be true with Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware products in general.

Most, however, feel that it's okay to run one of each (i.e., one anti-virus program and one anti-malware program). Good luck finding even one single expert that says running anything more than that is a good idea. In other words, more is not better. The multiple programs will handicap and cripple each other, and instead of increased security, you will have reduced security.

Please see my response above. The reason more so is that the average user simply does not understand their computer well enough to know or ensure there is not an issue. It actually takes a lot of work and understanding what is happening and use of system monitoring tools to determine if there is an issue or not.

You didn't specify which version of Malwarebytes that you're running. If you're only using the free version, then you're fine; it's only an on-demand scanner. However, if you're running the Pro version (with real-time protection), along with the other two products that also have real-time protection, then you have issues present in your system that you do not even realize.

If the programs have not been adjusted to work with each other yes it's possible, however if you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware setup with the proper exclusions then the user is not going to have an issue and will be better protected

The issues caused by running too many security programs are not obvious ones. You have no way of being able to tell whether they exist or not. Most people wrongly assume that everything is fine between the multiple programs (and that no issues exist) — .as long as their system hasn't crashed or slowed down (or anything obvious like that). However, that isn't the case. The issues are between the programs themselves, and since these issues do not generally affect the performance of the computer itself, they are not something that you, the user, has any way of knowing about. Everything may seem to be fine, when in reality, it isn't.

Again, yes if run simply as they are or with no exclusions or improperly set exclusions then yes there is a potential for a conflict. With exclusions setup correctly though there should not be an issue.

Please provide proof of this conflict you're speaking of so that if there is one that we simply cannot get to work correctly and we'll add it to our FAQ.

Thanks

@JohnnySokko

I've been using mbam with an av for a long time.....so I don't think mbam compatibility with other av is an issue...as I've already said in post #1 mbam and sas are compatible and complement other av......I just wanted to know if the same is true for mbam and sas when used together.....and besides a large number of user experience on mbam compatiblity with an av across numerous forums more than outweighs and disapproves your claim that mbam is not compatible with other security software........

Yes, in general, MBAM Pro will be compatible with most anti-virus programs. I never said it wasn't. I said it shouldn't automatically be assumed that compatibility will always be a given (because many times compatibility issues do, in fact, occur). But as I said, in most cases, you should be fine. The same goes for SUPERAntiSpyware Pro as well; it is also compatible with most anti-virus programs.

As far as MBAM Pro being compatible with SUPERAntiSpyware Pro, that's a whole different story. Neither program will replace an anti-virus program, which means that you will still need one. So if you are planning on using all three together, then yes, you will have issues.

@AdvancedSetup

Re: Your above post ( #8 )

Why are you falsely trying to the give the impression that you represent Malwarebytes?

Well I suppose as the Online Support Manager for Malwarebytes I can represent Malwarebytes

Also having supported SAS many years ago as a forum member I think I know both products pretty well.

http://forums.malwar...p?showuser=2065

Thanks

@JohnnySokko

well thx for your opinion that sas and mbam might conflict if used together.......but I guess official representatives from both sas and mbam assures no conflict and also many users actually confirm from their personal experience.....so I'll rely on all their assurances......but thx anyways for posting in this thread....... :wink:

@AdvancedSetup

thx a lot for stepping by and posting in my thread/topic........ :-D

@AdvancedSetup

Re: Your above post ( #8 )

Why are you falsely trying to the give the impression that you represent Malwarebytes?

JohnnySokko I think you better do some research before you post.

I knew you would reply AdvanceSetup, I was just waiting. :)

Thank you for the reply.

ProTruckDriver (Popeye on MBAM Forum)