Security

cnet installer malware

Recently I have been getting some "cnet installer" threats on my computer. They have been detected for two scans now, and I'd like to know more about what these threats mean.

Thank you

Here's what the log reported:

Operating System Information

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, Service Pack 2 (Build 6.00.6002)

UAC On - Limited User

Memory items scanned : 494

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 69091

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 52966

File threats detected : 2

PotentiallyUnwanted.CNETInstaller

C:\USERS\POSTE\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\ICREINSTALL\CNET_IDDFREE_EXE.EXE

C:\USERS\POSTE\DOWNLOADS\SETUP FILES\CNET_IDDFREE_EXE.EXE

PotentiallyUnwanted means exactly what it says, ie something you might not want on your PC such as unwanted toolbars etcetera.

Personally I refuse to download from CNet anymore as it seems that they have taken the path of bundling unwanted stuff with their downloads.

Any chance you can PM me the url of the link you posted on Facebook ?

I'd be interested in having a look at it.

Cheers for the link Security.

I visited it on a spare PC I have, not connected to my home network.

Can't find any problems with it though. I'm not seeing the problem that you are having.

If you are comfortable using regedit I'd do a registry search for those 2 items and if you find them delete them as they could be trying to run at startup.

CNET is now bundling "goodies" with their downloads. This happens ONLY when you download programs from CNET using CNET's own installer, though. You can read more about it online; many blogs and articles have been written about it.

Although the "goodies" may be detected as "threats" by some scanners, they really aren't malware or anything bad, but they are definitely considered unwanted and should probably be avoided.

You can avoid these "goodies" most easily by simply avoiding CNET and getting your downloads directly from the source whenever possible. For example: You can download SUPERAntiSpyware directly from here, so why use CNET? Likewise, most companies offer downloads directly from their own sites. Always get your downloads that way whenever possible. That will always guarantee that you're getting the latest and cleanest versions possible.

However, there are some companies that do not offer downloads directly from their site and refer you to CNET to get their products. In this situation, if you still want the product and do not want the extra "goodies" that CNET is now wrapping in with their installer, there is an easy solution: Simply register an account on CNET for yourself. It's free to do so, and it only takes a minute. All you basically need to do is give your name and an e-mail address. Once you're registered, you then have the option to not use the CNET installer, and you can then get the "clean" versions. You must be registered and logged in, in order to do so. If you do it this way, it's totally fine to use CNET.

For more information, read this. Scroll down to Q & A number five for information on this specific topic.

http://cnet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2065/~/cnet-download.com-installer-frequently-asked-questions

I hope this helps to clear things up. :-D