Tarq57

Trend for demand scanners to run a service

Hi, I have a number of demand scanners installed, (including SAS of course) and in the past week or 2 updates to AVG AS (7.5.143) Asquared (3.0.0.318) and the new release AdAware2007 have installed services that run at windows start, whether the program is active or not.

AdAware's, particularly, uses a large amount. The others quite small, but I've read quite a bit of user backlash concerning the need for a demand scanner to have this. The explanations include: "required for Vista" (AVG) "Enable running under a non-admin account" (Asquared) and " " (AdAware).

Since the scanners concerned are provided as a courtesy(or publicity exercise) free to users, this doesn't bother me (except for AdAware's, at ~22Mb).

So my question is: Are there any plans for SAS to include a similar service? And if so, will an explanation be offered to users prior? (I think that would be a good idea.) And if so, how much RAM is it likely to use.

Sri, I know that's 3 questions.

Thanks for providing an excellent scanner/support

Hi, I have a number of demand scanners installed, (including SAS of course) and in the past week or 2 updates to AVG AS (7.5.143) Asquared (3.0.0.318) and the new release AdAware2007 have installed services that run at windows start, whether the program is active or not.

AdAware's, particularly, uses a large amount. The others quite small, but I've read quite a bit of user backlash concerning the need for a demand scanner to have this. The explanations include: "required for Vista" (AVG) "Enable running under a non-admin account" (Asquared) and " " (AdAware).

Since the scanners concerned are provided as a courtesy(or publicity exercise) free to users, this doesn't bother me (except for AdAware's, at ~22Mb).

So my question is: Are there any plans for SAS to include a similar service? And if so, will an explanation be offered to users prior? (I think that would be a good idea.) And if so, how much RAM is it likely to use.

Sri, I know that's 3 questions.

Thanks for providing an excellent scanner/support

Currently we don't require a service to have full access to the system. For Vista we may do a service for our updater and first chance prevention to follow the proper guidelines in Vista.

Thanks for the answer...does this mean that such a service would be provided in a vista-only version, or the version available will be modified so it runs on vista? (And thereby also runs the service on XP)

Thanks for the answer...does this mean that such a service would be provided in a vista-only version, or the version available will be modified so it runs on vista? (And thereby also runs the service on XP)

It depends on what we do - a service that is inactive has no impact on the system.

Yeah, that would be a popular way to go, if it stops itself when the program is closed.

Thankyou, Nick.