Michele

superantispyware.exe crashes @ windows log off

Almost but not every time I log off Windows XP SAS Pro crashes. The MS error report says it's related to NT layer dll (ntdll.dll). This began in v3.7 & continues in v3.8. Can you please give me some insight/steps to follow to correct this? Thank you.

Michele,

Just to be clear, are you logging off as in Switching Users? Or shutting down?

Try this test:

Before logging off, right click on the SAS icon and shut it down. Try this a few times and see if a shutdown error is produced.

Do you have SAS installed on other accounts (is it in the System Tray)? If so, does the issue occur with the other accounts?

Can you provide more info on the error report?

Hi Seth,

Logging off as in shutting down. What I didn't mention was I run SAS on demand. It's not in startup. The crash has been occurring even when I haven't scanned/used SAS.

I've done your "test" of right clicking & exiting several times prior to logging off. It crashed only once-- before I logged off, not after like it usually does!

I don't know what information from the error report specifically you'd like. Maybe I should uninstall & reinstall.I remember doing this a while back--I was unable to fully uninstall SAS--components in Program Files remained.

Michele

I'm a little confused here.

You said that SAS is not in the startup, and the crash occurs even when you don't scan with SAS. If so, SAS can't crash as it's not even running. You can confirm this by viewing the processes in task manager. There should be no entry for SAS if it's disabled from starting when Window's starts.

Go ahead and reinstall SAS, but I would be surprised if that resolved the issue. I suspect that you have either hard drive errors, or too many needless programs running in the background that XP is having a problem dealing with.

You also said SAS was crashing, but mentioned an ntdll. Is the XP error specifically mentioning SAS?

What other security programs are you using?

Seth,

Yes, the error message specifically names superantispyware.exe & ntdll.dll. If it's impossible for it to crash when I haven't scanned with it, maybe I'm confused & couldn't understand why it would crash when it wasn't in real time & actually scan more often than I realized. I run an AV, HIPS, 2 AS on demand, & sandbox my browser. I guess that's a significant number of programs, but I don't feel they are needless. I don't believe I've any hardware damage. Seth, I can make out a support ticket. Can you tell me how to completely remove it so it will have a clean installation? SASCTXMN.dll is what I'm referring to. Thank you.

Michele

I'm not suggesting that your internet security applications are needless. Rather, most home users have so many needless applications running in the background, that they often cause shutdown problems among other things. For example: Office, Adobe, Realplayer, etc.

Removing SAS from Add/Remove programs then reinstalling, is the closest I know to a clean install. In my experience, there is no program out there that doesn't leave some remnants behind after uninstalling.

I recommend removing SAS and testing the shutdown. Then reinstall and test again. Other than that, I would go the support ticket route.