vaioman

Question re: SAS ver 3.8

hmmmm....i have NOD32, Jetico Firewall, SpywareBlaster and all of them works fine. Only SAS Pro i experienced the problem from BSOD, starting to scanning.

I'll wait for SAS version upgrade before i'll re-install SAS pro. i think its not vista user friendly yet. I will not make my vista OS adjust to SAS program, because almost all security program are adjusting their software to be compatible to vista....not vista adjusting to their software. Nick should do something about this problem, a lot of user now are curious with vista OS...so if they use SAS with vista OS and experience this kind of problem they might drop the software.

I tried A-Squared (Free edition) and its work fine without any problem.

We have had virtually no other reports of any BSOD issues on Vista or any operating system. It could be an issue with the other software you are running.

thanks for the input.

in-case you will upgrade SAS version, please look at UAC application of Vista.

Hi guys!

I'll update you regarding my BSOD problem with SAS Pro.

I do clean vista installation and after that installed all the software i have. I run my anti virus and all looks fine.

After that i installed SAS Pro. Run the scan and still received BSOD. I uninstall SAS Pro and install A-Squared. Also i received BSOD during scanning.

when i run NOD32 scan, no problem at all....but when i'm using anti spyware scan i received BSOD.

hmmm any comment?

Hi guys!

I do clean vista installation and after that installed all the software i have. I run my anti virus and all looks fine.

After that i installed SAS Pro. Run the scan and still received BSOD. I uninstall SAS Pro and install A-Squared. Also i received BSOD during scanning.

when i run NOD32 scan, no problem at all....but when i'm using anti spyware scan i received BSOD.

hmmm any comment?

What exactly do yo have installed besides the anti-spyware software, what other software?

Hi guys!

hmmm any comment?

What exactly do yo have installed besides the anti-spyware software, what other software?

beside from factory installed and NOD32 & Comodo FW, i installed MS Office, Yahoo messenge, google toolbar, command and conqueror 3, vista and sony update.

also i noticed during this installation process of sony update my DVD player is corrupted. now its already solve after deleting some file using regedit as advised by sony reps. i dont know if this make sense.

also just to let you know, when i received that Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area BSOD using SAS PRo scan i do system restore during SAS is not yet installed. After that i installed A-Squared so i assume that my system still good because of system restor, but when i used Asquared scan i received this (BSOD) Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area

Hi guys!

hmmm any comment?

Hi Vaioman,

You could try uninstalling and then reinstalling your security applications in a different order.

Try installing SAS pro first, run a scan and see if you have the BSOD issue. Then reinstall nod32 and finally comodo, (keep the windows firewall on to that point), having a check on how each program is running before the next install.

I have never used nod32 or comodo but the reason I suggest this is that a year or so back I was using Spyware Doctor and Zonealarm with AntiVirus, (on XP). I was having some sort of conflicting issues going on so I uninstalled the lot, (worth checking with the vendors for any special removal tools or instructions to get a clean uninstall), deleted any remaining directories, cleaned the registry and then reinstalled in the reverse order, which was SD first and then ZA with AV, and this solved all the issues.

Make sure that each security application already installed is completely shutdown before installing the next one, this in itself can cause problems for either product.

I know this sounds tedious but trying to get to the bottom of something like this is 'trial and error' and a bit of an elimination process that would try the patience of a saint! :roll:

PS. Have you run the error checking utility to check your hard drive for errors recently? Errors on the drive can cause this sort of stop error. Doesn't sound like that is the issue as everything seems fine up to the point of scanning with either SAS or A-Squared, just trying to think of anything else worth trying :wink:

thanks sunniebear.

i removed NOD32 (since AMON.sys causing BSOD) and installed KAV7 with Comodo Firewall.

i noticed in event viewer that there audit failure. below is the message;

Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\SuperAntiSpyware\SASENUM.SYS

btw, i disable check for program ipdates when the application start and first chance prevention....i dont want to run more apps during start up.

as i type this message i run the SAS Pro scan....no BSOD yet :shock:

thanks sunniebear.

i removed NOD32 (since AMON.sys causing BSOD) and installed KAV7 with Comodo Firewall.

Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

btw, i disable check for program ipdates when the application start and first chance prevention....i dont want to run more apps during start up.

If you are getting that error in the Event viewer, something may have blocked our service.

thanks sunniebear.

If you are getting that error in the Event viewer, something may have blocked our service.

is that related to BSOD?

btw, i finished scanning without BSOD. i closed SAS Pro and browse the internet.....less than 1minute after closing SAS Pro i got another BSOD (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA)

below event viewer error detail.

-

-

0x80000000000000

System

Federic-PC

-

1:23:48 AM

6/12/2007

D707060002000C000100170030000F00D707060002000C000500170030000F00600900003C000000010000006009000000000000B00400000100000000000000

thanks sunniebear.

I have this same error appear in Event Viewer for that same file on every start up, I also get one for a file related to Kaspersky, I don't think this is related to the issues you have been experiencing, (I don't have any BSOD issues even though I too have this same error appear). Remember Seth posted with an explanation to this error earlier in the thread;

Both of your Event Viewer logs are audit failures. Basically, an audit failure is produced when the operating system thinks a program isn't behaving the way it should be. These are generally nothing to worry about. Especially when it comes to such a new operating system as Vista.

On doing a quick 'Google' I did come across a few reported issues of BSOD's associated with Amon.sys, was interested to see if that was common or not.

Amon is responsible for the on-access file scanning in Nod32. and possibly would have been actively scanning all files accessed as SAS was accesing them during a scan. I wonder could this have contributed to the BSOD issue during the SAS scan :idea:.

Like I said before I haven't used Nod32 but KAV's on-access 'file scanner' will scan every file accessed during a scan with another product so I am speculating that Nod32 has similar behaviour. I disable the 'file scanner' in KAV temporarily whilst doing a scan with SAS pro, or any of my other other on-demand AS scanners. I haven't had any issues with it still enabled, but it cuts down on the CPU usage a bit whilst another product is doing it's scan.

KAV can be a bit temperamental if previously installed AV's are not completely removed from the system before the installation, and BSOD issues have been known to be a result from this. I don't know how 'clean' the Nod32 uninstall was but you could check out these 'tips' for cleaning up after an uninstall of another AV, from the Kaspersky forum, to see if that helps.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=5233

Sorry your not having much luck with this :cry:

hi sunnibear!

thanks for the input.

i reported to sony vaio regarding my BSOD problem. They told me to reset the BIOS.

i follow their instruction and as of today i dont have any BSOD issue. I run SAS pro quick scan and never encounter any BSOD.

i'm using KAV7 Beta + Comodo Alpha + SAS Pro.

i'll update if i will get any BSOD problem.

btw, please enlighten me what happen or effect of resetting BIOS re: my BSOD Problem.

thanks!

hi sunnibear!

thanks for the input.

i reported to sony vaio regarding my BSOD problem. They told me to reset the BIOS.

i follow their instruction and as of today i dont have any BSOD issue. I run SAS pro quick scan and never encounter any BSOD.

i'm using KAV7 Beta + Comodo Alpha + SAS Pro.

i'll update if i will get any BSOD problem.

btw, please enlighten me what happen or effect of resetting BIOS re: my BSOD Problem.

thanks!

Looks like we all could have been 'barking up the wrong tree' here :lol: Maybe this wasn't a software issue after all.

BSOD's with PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error codes can be caused by several things, a corrupted driver, a conflict (usually involving an AV program), errors on the hard drive and memory errors/failure are some of the things to troubleshoot.

Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) is a program that controls communication between all input and output devices on the PC (such as disk drives, display, keyboard, mouse, and printer). The BIOS settings are stored in a chip on the motherboard CMOS (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor) memory. A battery on the motherboard keeps the settings from being lost when the system is turned off.

The BIOS stores configuration information such as:

*The addresses of devices (hard disk drives, for example) that are attached to the PC.

*The startup sequence of the PC.

*The amount of system and extended memory.

Resetting the BIOS/CMOS is usually the first step to take when troubleshooting a hardware issue and basically sets it back to the default settings. Well you maybe have never altered any of the settings in the BIOS yourself, (and shouldn't do unless you know what you are doing), but sometimes they are altered by changes made to hardware and as we all know any change to a PC can cause an issue. For an example, I upgraded my CPU last year, nothing drastic, a straight 'swap out' for a faster single core than the one that came with the PC. The AMD 'Cool and Quiet' stopped working after the change. I searched on forums and tried all the recommendations; checked for an option to enable it in the BIOS, reinstalled XP, adjusted power settings, updated the AMD Drivers, nothing worked. Then I found something that suggested resetting the BIOS, I did and it started working again. Why :?: Well to be honest I'm not 100% sure, was just glad that something finally did the trick.

If resetting the BIOS has resolved your BSOD issue, (lets wait a few days and see :wink: ), I am suspecting the corrupted DVD drive issue reported whilst doing that Sony update has something to do with it.

I am no hardware expert, only started getting into this side of things about a year ago when I decided to take it upon myself to do some upgrades to my own PC, but hope this offers some 'enlightenment', (maybe someone with a greater knowledge on this side of things can enlighten further), and fingers are crossed that your BSOD issue is finally resolved :)

If resetting the BIOS has resolved your BSOD issue, (lets wait a few days and see :wink: ), I am suspecting the corrupted DVD drive issue reported whilst doing that Sony update has something to do with it.

grrr....

after resetting Bios....almost 2days from now i received BSOD again.

i just copy all my back up files this afternoon to my computer and uninstall SAS Pro because KAV detected some issue.

this is the two major item i did in my computer, i dont know if this will create issue of BSOD.

grrr....

i just copy all my back up files this afternoon to my computer and uninstall SAS Pro because KAV detected some issue.

this is the two major item i did in my computer, i dont know if this will create issue of BSOD.

SUPERAntiSpyware is not causing the BSOD. What exactly did KAV detect?

grrr....

I suspect this is what KAV detected as you are using KAV7, you can add this to the 'Trusted Zone'.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=739

Did your blue screen occur whilst copying back the files and was it a large quantity of files?

This may be way off the mark here but there was a file copy issue reported with KAV6 on Vista, whereby when it hit a certain number of copied files, (I forget exactly what it was but it was way in the thousands), it caused a crash. This was happening either when copying a large number at once or accumulating over time and the way to prevent it was to reboot before that number was reached. (I shut down my PC every night and haven't really mass copied files, so never encountered the problem myself).

There was quite a lengthy thread on their forum about it and I know the issue was being worked on and would have thought it had been resolved for Version 7. From this information if you think it may be relevent to when that blue screen occured it might be worth investigating on the Kaspersky forum to see if this issue has been resolved, (as it wasn't an issue for me I kinda stopped following the progress on it).

This is just something that came to mind when you mentioned you had just copied back all your files but probably not the magic answer :( ).

PS. Other than this I would start investigating the possibilty of a hardware error somewhere, checking the hard drive for errors, as Seth has just suggested is a good place to start :wink:

i already run chckdsk /f /r

i dont think KAV cause the BSOD. when KAV is not yet installed in my computer i already experiencing BSOD.

what i noticed is after doing chkdsk, RAM test, diagnose device driver conflit, reset BIOS my computer is working fine. But after installing SAS Pro this BSOD keeps coming. Im not saying that SAS pro is the main cause but i think SAS Pro is scanning or checking a program or file that trigger this BSOD.

i already run chckdsk /f /r

i dont think KAV cause the BSOD. when KAV is not yet installed in my computer i already experiencing BSOD.

what i noticed is after doing chkdsk, RAM test, diagnose device driver conflit, reset BIOS my computer is working fine. But after installing SAS Pro this BSOD keeps coming. Im not saying that SAS pro is the main cause but i think SAS Pro is scanning or checking a program or file that trigger this BSOD.

If you have narrowed it down to this any way you can sit and watch the scan like a hawk and see if you can identify where it happens. I know the files being scanned information can run very fast but you might at least be able to identify what area of the system it is scanning when the BSOD occurs and narrow it down. :idea: Even run a few scans to see if it is always happening at the same point in the scan.