vaioman

Question re: SAS ver 3.8

continuation......

Vaio,

Are you running XP or Vista?

A BSOD often includes an error code that looks something like this:

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Does your BSOD have an error code with a description?

I would also try SAS in Safe Mode.

BTW-Are you familiar with the Event Viewer?

i just remember something like this Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area (i read this error description in other forum)

i run SAS scan at saf mode with no error. i've never try yet to run SAS scan in normal mode, iam still worried might experience BSOD :lol:

i'm not familiar with event viewer.

Hi Seth,

I browse my event viewer and found out this under Audit Failure. almost everyday i have this failure.

-

-

0x8010000000000000

Security

Federic-PC

-

\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASENUM.SYS

Vaio,

When a program works correctly in Safe Mode but not in Normal mode, that usually indicates a problem with a driver, or a conflict with another program. Reason being, most drivers and programs are not running when in Safe Mode.

In your case, I suspect the issue is a conflict with another program that starts when Windows starts. I will examine the Event Viewer error and get back to you. We will likely have a look at the programs that start when your computer starts.

Hi vaioman and Seth,

I am not experiencing any of these problems mentioned in the threads but thought I would give you some information, that may or may not be of use.

I have the same System Integrety, Security Audit Failure, event logged in the Event Viewer as vaioman. I am not overly sure on how to interpret these entries in the event viewer and as I have absolutely no complaints on how the system is running and it's stability, at the moment, or any programs installed, I have not overly worried about it, (4 month old clean install of Vista Home Premium 32 bit).

Out of interest though I have looked at the pattern of the occurrences of this event. It occurs every time I start-up the PC or reboot. It is also always accompanied by two 'error code 2' entries with the information 'windows firewall was unable to notify the user that it blocked an application from accepting an incoming connection on the network'. (I am currently using the Vista Firewall).

The 3 Security Audit Failures are always recorded immediately one after the other within seconds of each other.

About a minute before this I also always have just one recorded instance for Kaspersky AV, (no 'error code 2' entries), which always loads first, same information as the entry for SAS but refering to a r3hook.dll file. Again KAV has been trouble free for me and has been installed on this installation from day one, so I have not been overly concerned about it.

Like I say this may be of help or may not. If you have any ideas Seth on what causes these sort of 'event occurrences', I would be interested to know. There is absolutely no evidence of any software conflicts happening on the PC either. (It's all running so well at the moment I am reaching out to 'touch wood' as I type this :lol: ).

Hello vaioman and sunniebear.

Both of your Event Viewer logs are audit failures. Basically, an audit failure is produced when the operating system thinks a program isn't behaving the way it should be. These are generally nothing to worry about. Especially when it comes to such a new operating system as Vista.

vaioman,

The fact that SAS scans without a BSOD in Safe Mode is a good sign. It verifies that a running program or service is interfering with SAS's scan. I would suspect that it's a security program or service. Even if you disable security programs from the System Tray, most will leave some services or processes running. As such, we will have to look at the third party services and programs using Msconfig. Before doing so, I would like to see/know the following:

1) Are you running XP or Vista?

2) Does the BSOD occur with a Quick Scan, Full Scan, or both?

3) Please post the dump log.

4) Again, I would really like to see the BSOD's error code.

If you answer the above four questions, then my next post will have instructions that should find the culprit.

1. i'm using vista business (32)

2. both

3. how can i open the dump files or attach on this post? cant open dump files

4. Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area (this is the BSOD beginning message)

thanks seth!

1. i'm using vista business (32)

2. both

3. how can i open the dump files or attach on this post? cant open dump files

4. Page_Fault_In_Non-Paged_Area (this is the BSOD beginning message)

thanks seth!

You're welcome.

There are two ways to address the running processes. One is simple, the other is more complex. Let's try the simple way.

Right click and disable/shutdown every icon that you can in the System Tray (except SAS). If you see an arrow, be sure to click it on to view the hidden icons.

Now hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab. Here you will find that even though you disabled those programs, some will still have running processes. Find those processes (especially security software other than SAS), right click on them and "End Process Tree". Find Window's Defender and end that process tree as well. Now try a quick scan with SAS.

BTW-Do you know what Vista's UAC is, and if so did you disable it?

yes i disable UAC because it prevent SAS automatic update.

As annoying as the UAC can be, many unusual issues have been reported when it's disabled. If my previous suggestion doesn't work, then temporarily enable the UAC and test SAS.

i exit all the program at system tray, except power mgmt, tmp and sound (because when i try to right click theres no exit/close/shutdown)....anyway i proceed to task manager and end ALL program listed there and when i'm on the 3rd or 4th program that i will close BSOD error pop up.

Below is the info at tmp file. cant read the message at the screen thats why i just open the error file saved.

Windows NT Version 6.0 Build: 6000

Product (0x6): Windows Vista Business

Edition: Business

BuildString: 6000.16386.x86fre.vista_rtm.061101-2205

Flavor: Multiprocessor Free

Architecture: X86

LCID: 1033

you want me to proceed again with your procedure or theres something wrong with the program i'm trying to close that resulting to BSOD?

No that's good enough.

The main programs you want to end the process for, are the security programs including Windows Defender. Do that and test SAS.

No that's good enough.

The main programs you want to end the process for, are the security programs including Windows Defender. Do that and test SAS.

all my security program is closed, when i try the quick scan i still get BSOD.

i dont know if this will improve with UAC is enable. updating is too long if i enable UAC.

what you want me too do next? i guess SAS pro ver 3.8 is not properly compatible with vista. i'm not sure if i'm the only one getting this BSOD problem :lol:

No that's good enough.

all my security program is closed, when i try the quick scan i still get BSOD.

i dont know if this will improve with UAC is enable. updating is too long if i enable UAC.

what you want me too do next? i guess SAS pro ver 3.8 is not properly compatible with vista. i'm not sure if i'm the only one getting this BSOD problem :lol:

Again, you may have closed the security programs, but still have some of their processes running in Task Manager.

You can disable the UAC again once you test SAS with it enabled.

Other than the above, I only have one other possible solution for you. It's a little more complex than the previous suggestions, but it's worth a try if the previous fails to solve the issue. Beyond that, anything else I can think of right now would require me being in front of the computer and investigating the issue. Worse case scenerio is that you'll have to run an occasional scan in Safe Mode until a resolution is found

Only about 5 of the 100+ installs of SAS Pro Lifetime that I've done, have been on Vista. I've never experienced a BSOD when scanning, nor have I heard of anyone else experiencing such.

Hi seth,

it work!

i enable UAC....restart my computer and do quick scan....no more BSOD

whats your comment?

Sweet!

There isn't nothing else I can do, as the UAC has proven to cause numerous problems. However, Nick may be interested in knowing the cause. Nick?

Hello vaioman and sunniebear.

Both of your Event Viewer logs are audit failures. Basically, an audit failure is produced when the operating system thinks a program isn't behaving the way it should be. These are generally nothing to worry about. Especially when it comes to such a new operating system as Vista.

Thanks Seth for the info. I didn't really think it was something to be overly concerned about when there appeared to be no apparent issues with the system but since it came up here I was curious.

I feel like I have had Vista installed for ages but I think we intend to forget just how new it is and can't expect everything to be perfect on it just yet. If its stable, not spitting out error messages and crashing all over the place I'm happy enough. :lol:

Hi seth,

it work!

whats your comment?

Sweet!

There isn't nothing else I can do, as the UAC has proven to cause numerous problems. However, Nick may be interested in knowing the cause. Nick?

thanks Seth!!

since i turn off my UAC, im sure my SAS pro will not update it automatically...i mean it will take the whole day before it catch up the update and that is because of UAC.

thats the purpose why i disable UAC, but since this is the cause of BSOD, i'd rather update SAS Pro manually than BSOD during scanning.

Hi seth,

it work!

whats your comment?

How nice to see you get it resolved. Nice one Seth!

These things usually turn out to be something really simple, staring you in the face but you can't see it for looking at it or it seems too obviously simple when you feel the issue has more serious underlying reasons. :lol:

I personally have left UAC on. Mainly because I am a 'paranoid' PC user and I know some have the view it is totally useless but it is an additional layer of security that can run along with your other security applications without causing any conflicts, like, for example, adding another product can. The more 'layers' that work together for me the more comfortable I feel, but that's just me.

I have also seen on a few other forums problems arising after turning it off and also a few instances of problems occuring if totally shutting down Defender, (I have that running but have the real-time disabled).

I have just been updating SAS manually, just remember to do a check and they download and install pretty quickly. I am sure this update issue with UAC will get resolved somewhere in the future, so I am sure it won't be something to have to live with for ever.

Good Luck :)

Hi seth,

it work!

whats your comment?

How nice to see you get it resolved. Nice one Seth!

These things usually turn out to be something really simple, staring you in the face but you can't see it for looking at it or it seems too obviously simple when you feel the issue has more serious underlying reasons. :lol:

I personally have left UAC on. Mainly because I am a 'paranoid' PC user and I know some have the view it is totally useless but it is an additional layer of security that can run along with your other security applications without causing any conflicts, like, for example, adding another product can. The more 'layers' that work together for me the more comfortable I feel, but that's just me.

I have also seen on a few other forums problems arising after turning it off and also a few instances of problems occuring if totally shutting down Defender, (I have that running but have the real-time disabled).

I have just been updating SAS manually, just remember to do a check and they download and install pretty quickly. I am sure this update issue with UAC will get resolved somewhere in the future, so I am sure it won't be something to have to live with for ever.

Good Luck :)

Thanks,

As soon as vaioman confirmed he was using Vista, then the UAC was suspect. It must have worked in Safe Mode as the UAC or certain aspects of it aren't loaded in Safe Mode.

I've had Vista installed as dual boot with XP for a couple of months. Although I still haven't made the switch to Vista because I can't be bothered to buy another printer or try and load all my XP programs onto Vista. I better be getting on to that.

another BSOD! (UAC is enable)

also i have this problem

https://forums.superantispyware.com/view ... 17beb74ff7

:x

Vaioman this sounds like and old 'cliche' but it might be worth trying uninstalling and reinstalling SAS in the most 'sterile' environment you can create, ie. with as little running as possible to minimise the risk of conflict, particularly other security applications. (I do this for the installation of any program particularly another security app.).

The best way to do this is to open your other apps. in the system tray and select not to run at start up, if you have that option. This includes your AV and Firewall, third party or Windows own, (I usually would leave windows firewall enabled but just to cover every eventuality turn it off), so disconnect from the internet before doing anything. If Defender is on shut it down too by opening Defender select tools then options and scroll down to the bottom and you will see a check box titled 'Use Windows Defender'. Uncheck it and select 'save'. Then reboot. Close down any programs that do launch to the system tray and wait a minute or two, (you should have just the clock, sound and 'safely remove hardware' icon left there).

Uninstall SAS, (my experience of this has been reasonably clean but if there are any files left in the SAS folder in 'program files' delete the complete folder and reboot.

Re-run the SAS installer, (If you don't have it saved on your PC make sure you download before starting any of this!), by right clicking and selecting 'run as administrator'. Go through all the steps but don't enter your license code when requested. Once the installation is complete turn the firewall on and reconnect to the internet. Right click the 'bug' in the system tray and select the option for activation. Enter your code, update the program, (don't check any of the boxes in 'preferences' for Automatic Updates) and reboot.

This worked for me when I had a problem with SAS strating up on Vista after upgrading from 3.6 to 3.7 but your BSOD issue certainly sounds like a conflict of some sort, which I haven't experienced.

It may not solve the problem but might be worth a try. :wink:

hmmmm....i have NOD32, Jetico Firewall, SpywareBlaster and all of them works fine. Only SAS Pro i experienced the problem from BSOD, starting to scanning.

I'll wait for SAS version upgrade before i'll re-install SAS pro. i think its not vista user friendly yet. I will not make my vista OS adjust to SAS program, because almost all security program are adjusting their software to be compatible to vista....not vista adjusting to their software. Nick should do something about this problem, a lot of user now are curious with vista OS...so if they use SAS with vista OS and experience this kind of problem they might drop the software.

I tried A-Squared (Free edition) and its work fine without any problem.

hmmmm....i have NOD32, Jetico Firewall, SpywareBlaster and all of them works fine. Only SAS Pro i experienced the problem from BSOD, starting to scanning.

I'll wait for SAS version upgrade before i'll re-install SAS pro. i think its not vista user friendly yet. I will not make my vista OS adjust to SAS program, because almost all security program are adjusting their software to be compatible to vista....not vista adjusting to their software. Nick should do something about this problem, a lot of user now are curious with vista OS...so if they use SAS with vista OS and experience this kind of problem they might drop the software.

I tried A-Squared (Free edition) and its work fine without any problem.

We have had virtually no other reports of any BSOD issues on Vista or any operating system. It could be an issue with the other software you are running.