JohnnySokko

Questions about some SAS features

Hello,

I've been using SUPERAntiSpyware for years. I love it! I recently upgraded to the newest version, played with it for a few weeks, and now I have some questions about it.

1.) What exactly is Rescue Scan? I tried searching for other answers regarding this, but I only found one, and it was not very helpful. What exactly does this feature do, and how does it work?

2.) What is Scan Boost, and what does it do?

3.) The first thing that I noticed about the new version of SAS is how it scans. On the older versions, SAS would always scan the C drive first and then move on to scan the D drive after it finished scanning the C drive (basically the same as how all scanners work). The new version, however, appears to scan differently — in a rather odd way. It seems to constantly scan back and forth between my C and D drive. One moment it will be scanning my C drive, and then it will go to the D drive (before it has fully finished scanning the C drive), and then it will go back to the C drive and so on — back and forth between both drives during the entire scan. I have never seen any other scanner do this. Is this normal? Is it supposed to behave like this? If yes, why?

Thank you. Looking forward to your answers. :)

Hello,

I've been using SUPERAntiSpyware for years. I love it! I recently upgraded to the newest version, played with it for a few weeks, and now I have some questions about it.

1.) What exactly is Rescue Scan? I tried searching for other answers regarding this, but I only found one, and it was not very helpful. What exactly does this feature do, and how does it work?

2.) What is Scan Boost, and what does it do?

3.) The first thing that I noticed about the new version of SAS is how it scans. On the older versions, SAS would always scan the C drive first and then move on to scan the D drive after it finished scanning the C drive (basically the same as how all scanners work). The new version, however, appears to scan differently — in a rather odd way. It seems to constantly scan back and forth between my C and D drive. One moment it will be scanning my C drive, and then it will go to the D drive (before it has fully finished scanning the C drive), and then it will go back to the C drive and so on — back and forth between both drives during the entire scan. I have never seen any other scanner do this. Is this normal? Is it supposed to behave like this? If yes, why?

Thank you. Looking forward to your answers. :)

1. Rescue scan is for when malware has consumed so many resources on your system that SAS isn't able to run a scan; Rescue scan attempts to reclaim some of those resources.

2. Scan Boost dedicates more of your CPU to a scan, so scanning will be faster.

3. I can't really answer that, maybe a dev can, but I do know that SAS 5 was optimized for faster scanning and that may be a part of it.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Just to be clear, though, I'd like to clarify something.

You said that "Rescue scan is for when malware has consumed so many resources on your system that SAS isn't able to run a scan; Rescue scan attempts to reclaim some of those resources."

Do you mean that Rescue Scan allows SUPERAntiSpyware to run when malware is embedded in the system and has prevented it from running entirely (in the case of how certain malware prevents anti-malware programs from being able to be launched)?

Or do you simply mean that Rescue Scan allows SAS to run more efficiently when malware is overwhelming the system and slowing everything down?

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Just to be clear, though, I'd like to clarify something.

You said that "Rescue scan is for when malware has consumed so many resources on your system that SAS isn't able to run a scan; Rescue scan attempts to reclaim some of those resources."

Do you mean that Rescue Scan allows SUPERAntiSpyware to run when malware is embedded in the system and has prevented it from running entirely (in the case of how certain malware prevents anti-malware programs from being able to be launched)?

Or do you simply mean that Rescue Scan allows SAS to run more efficiently when malware is overwhelming the system and slowing everything down?

The latter, if there is malware on your system that is eating CPU resources and slowing SAS to a crawl, Rescue Scan will attempt to take back those resources and put them into the scanning engine.

The latter, if there is malware on your system that is eating CPU resources and slowing SAS to a crawl, Rescue Scan will attempt to take back those resources and put them into the scanning engine.

Thanks. That clears things up, a little. LOL.

Seriously, though, how exactly does Rescue Scan differ from Scan Boost then? If Scan Boost is activated, especially if set to high, it supposedly devotes the full power of the CPU to the scan. Isn't this basically what Rescue Scan is supposed to do as well?

If so, what is the difference between the two features? They sound like virtually the same thing to me.

Thanks. That clears things up, a little. LOL.

Seriously, though, how exactly does Rescue Scan differ from Scan Boost then? If Scan Boost is activated, especially if set to high, it supposedly devotes the full power of the CPU to the scan. Isn't this basically what Rescue Scan is supposed to do as well?

If so, what is the difference between the two features? They sound like virtually the same thing to me.

Boost Scan dedicates more unused CPU resources to SAS, Rescue Scan steals resources in use from other running processes.

Boost Scan dedicates more unused CPU resources to SAS, Rescue Scan steals resources in use from other running processes.

Nice! That's the type of answer I was looking for. That explains it very well. Thank you. smile.gif

On a separate, but related, matter, I have a few additional questions.

1.) The previous version of SAS (version 4) did not feature Scan Boost. I'm wondering which setting (off, low, or high) of version 5's Scan Boost is most similar to version 4's use of resources? (I hope that makes sense.)

2.) Is there a big difference in use of resources between the low setting of Scan Boost and not having it turned on at all?

3.) If a system is heavily infected (to the point where Rescue Scan should be enabled), would it be advisable to also enable Scan Boost (and set it to high) to devote as many resources as possible to the scan, or is simply having Rescue Scan enabled enough?

I'm sorry, but this forum is not that busy. That being the case, why is there such a lack of attention and response to questions by SAS Customer Service to so many questions on here, including mine?

Almost 600 people have read this post of mine, probably many who have similar questions and are seeking answers, and 600 people have now seen the total lack of customer support by SAS.

What's going on with you guys?

Hi Johnny...,

The Rescue Scan will automatically increase the cpu/resource usage so it would make little difference if boost was enabled or not.

I'm sorry, but this forum is not that busy. That being the case, why is there such a lack of attention and response to questions by SAS Customer Service to so many questions on here, including mine?

Almost 600 people have read this post of mine, probably many who have similar questions and are seeking answers, and 600 people have now the total lack of customer support by SAS.

What's going on with you guys?

I answer the questions I can. Some questions we aren't able to answer due to security reasons, privacy concerns, etc. Some questions, like the last in this topic, I can't answer because I'm not a developer. If you don't get an answer, it means there isn't one or we aren't able to provide one at the time, not that you're being ignored.

I answer the questions I can. Some questions we aren't able to answer due to security reasons, privacy concerns, etc. Some questions, like the last in this topic, I can't answer because I'm not a developer. If you don't get an answer, it means there isn't one or we aren't able to provide one at the time, not that you're being ignored.

Thank you for your reply.

And in response, I would like to make what I hope is both a friendly and a constructive suggestion:

Although I do understand your statement, "If you don't get an answer, it means there isn't one or we aren't able to provide one at the time, not that you're being ignored," I would like to suggest if that's ever the case, you should reply and say that outright, instead of simply leaving the posts unanswered entirely. It's far better to let the person who has posted a question know that you are not able to help, then to give them the impression that they are being ignored.

So, basically, I would rather see unhelpful answers than no answers at all. (Although helpful answers are certainly always preferred. :) )

All of that now being said, I am still hoping to get answers to the following questions:

1.) The previous version of SAS (version 4) did not feature Scan Boost. I'm wondering which setting (off, low, or high) of version 5's Scan Boost is most similar to version 4's use of resources? (I hope that makes sense.)

2.) Is there a big difference in use of resources between the low setting of Scan Boost and not having it turned on at all?

3.) If a system is heavily infected (to the point where Rescue Scan should be enabled), would it be advisable to also enable Scan Boost (and set it to high) to devote as many resources as possible to the scan, or is simply having Rescue Scan enabled enough?

I know you stated that you're not a developer and do not know the answers to the above questions, but do any of the developers ever visit the forum, here, to answer questions? I know that the main developer, Mr. Skrepetos, is a member of the Wilders Security forum and frequently posts over there and answers questions, but does he ever participate here? Or should I try to post over there on one of the SUPERAntiSpyware threads and see if he answers?