jackmann

Excessive Scan Time

Background Info.

I am doing volunteer work for the local Boys and Girls Club of Trinity TX. The administrator of the club approached me reciently and told me of a problem he was having with his primary online machine because it was running excessively slow. The machine a DELL 4500 has 512Mg of memory. When I checked the machine out I found it had the current version of McAfee and it was up to date.

The machine takes forever to load and run programs, McAfee finds nothing. I checked Task Manager on the machine and found multiple instances of iexplore running and after quering the WEB, I was led to the SAS site and then to here. I down loaded SAS yesterday and installed it and ran it on the machine, the program is still ccanning after 22 hours. I am pretty sure the machine has problems but this scan time seems to be excessive. My last check of the scan said it was at HKLM\Software\ Classes\CLSID**.

My question is do I terminate SAS and look elsewere or hang in there? The machine is off line and I am retired as stated above and can let SAS run for as long as it wants, what should I do let it run or terminate it?.

Jack Mann

Volunteer for the Boys and Girls Club of Trinty, Texas.

Background Info.

I am doing volunteer work for the local Boys and Girls Club of Trinity TX. The administrator of the club approached me reciently and told me of a problem he was having with his primary online machine because it was running excessively slow. The machine a DELL 4500 has 512Mg of memory. When I checked the machine out I found it had the current version of McAfee and it was up to date.

The machine takes forever to load and run programs, McAfee finds nothing. I checked Task Manager on the machine and found multiple instances of iexplore running and after quering the WEB, I was led to the SAS site and then to here. I down loaded SAS yesterday and installed it and ran it on the machine, the program is still ccanning after 22 hours. I am pretty sure the machine has problems but this scan time seems to be excessive. My last check of the scan said it was at HKLM\Software\ Classes\CLSID**.

My question is do I terminate SAS and look elsewere or hang in there? The machine is off line and I am retired as stated above and can let SAS run for as long as it wants, what should I do let it run or terminate it?.

Jack Mann

Volunteer for the Boys and Girls Club of Trinty, Texas.

I would try re-installing SAS and see if that fixes it.

If the reinstall of SAS doesn't correct the issue, then the numerous instances of IEXPLORE suggest either operating system corruption or malware.

Here are two options:

1) Before you run SAS, end the process tree for each instance of IEXPLORE, as well as any entry which is using a high cpu percentage. Now make sure SAS is updated and run the full scan.

2) Run SAS from "Safe Mode With Networking". If you don't know, boot modes can be accessed by tapping F8 as soon as the computer starts up.

Another possibility is a corrupt program that is set to start when your computer starts. This can be addressed by Start>Run>type in msconfig and hit ok. Click on Selective Startup, then the Startup tab. Each entry you see with a check in it, is a program that starts when Windows starts. Most will be unnecessary, and some will likely be malware.