siliconman01

V3.7 Changes to Scan on Startup of Pgm on Reboot

I rebooted my XP-SP2 HE system this morning and V3.7 immediately started a full scan. I checked the Preferences>General and it had switched itself from "Do not scan when SAS starts up" to "Start a complete Scan". First Chance is not enabled.

I had this happen on my Vista Premium system to.

SAS V3.7 was a clean install on both systems.

Here is a possible clue to why this happened.

Just before the reboot, I was responding to a problem with V3.7 that my brother had emailed me about. In so doing, I opened my XP-SP2 SAS, went to the Preferences>Realtime and check marked "First Chance" so that I could clearly see the suboptions. I then unchecked "First Chance" again and closed the Preferences window. A few minutes later I rebooted my computer. That's when the above problem occurred. I did try to this scenario again and it did not repeat itself. But I wanted to state the facts. :wink:

I rebooted my XP-SP2 HE system this morning and V3.7 immediately started a full scan. I checked the Preferences>General and it had switched itself from "Do not scan when SAS starts up" to "Start a complete Scan". First Chance is not enabled.

I had this happen on my Vista Premium system to.

SAS V3.7 was a clean install on both systems.

Here is a possible clue to why this happened.

Just before the reboot, I was responding to a problem with V3.7 that my brother had emailed me about. In so doing, I opened my XP-SP2 SAS, went to the Preferences>Realtime and check marked "First Chance" so that I could clearly see the suboptions. I then unchecked "First Chance" again and closed the Preferences window. A few minutes later I rebooted my computer. That's when the above problem occurred. I did try to this scenario again and it did not repeat itself. But I wanted to state the facts. :wink:

The first chance does not actually start a "scan" - that would be the "scan on startup" options in the General and Start Up tab - are those options checked, or did you have scheduled scanning enabled?

I have a scheduled custom scan set for 7 pm daily.

At the time the problem occurred, on the Preferences>General and Startup page, the Startup Scanning option was set to "Do not scan when SAS starts". That option got mysteriously changed to "Start a complete system scan". I did not change it; SAS changed it on its own.

I reported this also randomly happening on the Vista system last week. This is the first time it has happened on my XP-SP2 system with V3.7

I have a scheduled custom scan set for 7 pm daily.

At the time the problem occurred, on the Preferences>General and Startup page, the Startup Scanning option was set to "Do not scan when SAS starts". That option got mysteriously changed to "Start a complete system scan". I did not change it; SAS changed it on its own.

I reported this also randomly happening on the Vista system last week. This is the first time it has happened on my XP-SP2 system with V3.7

Interesting - it appears you are the only one who has reported such issues. We are looking into it - it really can't set new options on it's own, so this is a mystery.

Well, it has happened twice on the Vista system on reboot. This is the first time on XP-SP2 HE. Never had it happen on V3.6 or any previous version. I've activated First Chance to see if I see any "mysterious" events on this XP-SP2 system.

I just experienced another incidence of SAS Pro 3.7 switching startup options on its own on my new Dell XPS 410 Vista Premium system.

All I did was exit SAS Pro and restart it. When it restarted, it immediately started a system scan. It had switched under Preferences>General and Startup>Start-up Scanning:

"Do not scan when SuperAntiSpyware starts"

to

"Start a Complete System Scan"

Note that approximately an hour earlier, I had opened SAS Gui to review the nightly scan log, then deleted the log and closed the Gui.

I'm the ONLY user of this computer unless my Doberman is playing around while I'm offline. :wink:

I just experienced another incidence of SAS Pro 3.7 switching startup options on its own on my new Dell XPS 410 Vista Premium system.

Hi siliconman01, well I am experiencing a slightly different scenario with 3.7 on Vista Home Premium, but I am not sure that these issues couldn't be related in some way. See my second post here.

https://forums.superantispyware.com/viewtopic.php?t=703

You might want to try this 'experiment' and see what happens to changes to your preferences.

Thanks for the feedback and reference link sunniebear.

I suspect that you are right on target as to your conclusion. We are all in a learning mode with this new Vista thing. Hopefully Nick and crew will sort these quirks out for the next build V3.8 for the Vista users.

I do wish to state that this problem is occurring on two(2) different computers with Vista Premium. When I first posted the problem, it was from a Dell E521; the most recent post is from a Dell XPS 410. Both have Vista Premium and are basically set up with the same software.

Also both have only one user account which is "administrator"; therefore, SAS was/is installed under an administrator account. (This is NOT the true "Administrator" account under Vista. )

Hi,

I read this somewhere and some time ago, but unfortunatly I can't remember where.

However I saved this instruction on my pc. I don't know what it is worth because I don't use Vista. I just post it here for what's it worth and maybe you can do something with it.

Best,

Gerard

If you wish install Vista in Administrator mode, folow:

1. Install vista

2. when vista finished installing, when it reached the screen where it prompted to create a new account, held down the "SHIFT" key and press "F10", this brought up the"command prompt.

3. type in: taskmgr

4. this brings up the "task manager", click on the process tab and end the "msoobe.exe" process, this will take you to a screen that just says "other user" and shows the buttons where you can shutdown windows, click the arrow on the right and choose to restart.

5. while windows is restarting, press "F8" to enter safe mode, it automatically logged onto administrator account.

6. go start and "run", and type: control userpasswords2

7. then click on the "Advanced tab", under "Advanced user Managment" click the "Advanced" button, then on "user", then right-click on the "Administrator account" and select properties", uncheck "account is disabled", OK, restart.

This will enable the admistrator account and make vista a lot less irritating to use, since all pograms are, by default, with administrative privileges.

Then you can make normal new User account if you wish.

Well, I just had another incident of SAS PRO (this time V3.8.1) changing the startup scan option on its own. I'm running Vista Premium with a FULL Administrator account and SAS PRO V3.8.1 was installed under this account.

Prior to this incident I was upgrading the Intel ViiV software via the Intel website. When the installation completed, the system needed to be rebooted. On reboot, SAS PRO started scanning immediately and the option Preferences>General and Startup>Start-Up Scanning had changed to "Start a complete scan" from "Do Not scan with SAS starts".

This "event" just happened again on V3.8.1. This time all I did was exit SAS PRO and restart it.

Also, I'm not sure if SAS PRO might not have a memory leak. It starts out by occupying about 35 megs of memory. In less than 12 hours it is occupying some 70 megs. This also causes it to utilize higher and higher amounts of CPU utilization. It starts out by spiking memory ~8% and slowly creeps up 12-15%.