Sign in to follow this  
Atomic Blast

Right Click Context Menu Pick - Not Working!

Hello:

I am using SAS 5 Free (latest build as of this post) and Norton NIS 2012. Running Windows XP SP3.

For some reason I had lost my right click context selection for SAS (weird) so I cleanly uninstalled and reinstalled SAS 5 Free again.

Everything worked for a few hours, then the context menu pick went away.

Yes, I checked off the explorer setting in the main UI.

Submitted a trouble ticket which was closed, to my dismay, by your "technical" staff.

Seems that I am not the only one.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Atomic Blast :)

Hello:

I am using SAS 5 Free (latest build as of this post) and Norton NIS 2012. Running Windows XP SP3.

For some reason I had lost my right click context selection for SAS (weird) so I cleanly uninstalled and reinstalled SAS 5 Free again.

Everything worked for a few hours, then the context menu pick went away.

Yes, I checked off the explorer setting in the main UI.

Submitted a trouble ticket which was closed, to my dismay, by your "technical" staff.

Seems that I am not the only one.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Atomic,

I couldn't assist you any further in your ticket, sorry if that was unclear. The "technical" issues are generally solved by the developers, and as I said I have made them aware of the issue.

Hello:

I have more information!

A friend of mine and I are experiencing the same problem.

When SAS 5 is open, I see the entry in the right click context menu.

Upon closing SAS 5, it goes away.

I am using Win7 SP1 and Win XP, SP3.

Can you confirm this with NIS 2012?

Thanks,

SuperAntiSpyware has always required that SuperAntiSpyware.exe be running in memory for the right click scanning context switch to be available/functional. All older versions of SAS required that too. The GUI does not have to be open; however, SuperAntiSpyware.exe must be running. The service SASCore.exe or SASCore64.exe must also be running. This is required on the free and professional version of SAS. And it is irrelevant to NIS 2012 being on your system.

SuperAntiSpyware has always required that SuperAntiSpyware.exe be running in memory for the right click scanning context switch to be available/functional. All older versions of SAS required that too. The GUI does not have to be open; however, SuperAntiSpyware.exe must be running. The service SASCore.exe or SASCore64.exe must also be running. This is required on the free and professional version of SAS. And it is irrelevant to NIS 2012 being on your system.

Interesting situation regarding the Right-Click option in Windows Explorer.

I am running SAS on three computers

1. SAS Pro on a W8-DP x32 Netbook - When I right-click a file in Windows Explorer the SAS scan icon shows up and I can scan the file using SAS.

2. SAS Pro and SAS Free on a x64 computer with a side by side Dual-Boot of W7 SP1 and W8-DP. (Only one OS can load at a time). I am running SAS Free in W7 and SAS Pro in W8-DP. In Windows Process Explorer I can see SAS.exe running in both W7 and W8-DP depending on which OS is loaded.

2a. SASCore64.exe shows up in Windows Process Exlorer in the W7 SP1 with SAS Free running. The right click in Windows Explorer in W7 SP1 does bring up the SAS scan option just like in the Netbook and as in the Netbook the scan will run.

2b. SASCore.exe without the "64" shows up in Windows Process Explorer in the W8-DP with SAS Pro running. The right click in Windows Explorer in W8-DP does not bring up the SAS scan option.

I checked the SAS folder in both W7 SP1 and W8-DP. There is a SASCore64.exe file in the SAS folder in W7. However, there is no SASCore64.exe file in the SAS folder in W8-DP but rather the SASCore.exe without the "64" in the SAS folder in W8-DP.

3. A second x64 desktop configured the same as #2 above with the same results.

It appears that the SASCore64.exe file is not installing in W8-DP. Could someone at SAS verify this. Thanks.

With the SAS 5 GUI closed, all I have is SAScore.exe running, not SuperAntiSpyware.exe. That only happens when the program is invoked manually.

The right click scanning context switch works just fine with MBAM.

Are you sure about NIS 2012 not interfering?

Obviously, there is something very wrong here, under XP-SP3.

Any ideas?

Atomic Blast :blink:

With the SAS 5 GUI closed, all I have is SAScore.exe running, not SuperAntiSpyware.exe. That only happens when the program is invoked manually.

The right click scanning context switch works just fine with MBAM.

Are you sure about NIS 2012 not interfering?

Obviously, there is something very wrong here, under XP-SP3.

Any ideas?

Atomic Blast :blink:

Open SUPERAntiSpyware, click Preferences, make sure "Show SUPERAntiSpyware icon in system tray" is checked then restart SUPERAntiSpyware. Siliconman01 is correct, SUPERAntiSpyware.exe needs to be running for the right-click to work, and it won't be running if you've disabled the icon.

Open SUPERAntiSpyware, click Preferences, make sure "Show SUPERAntiSpyware icon in system tray" is checked then restart SUPERAntiSpyware. Siliconman01 is correct, SUPERAntiSpyware.exe needs to be running for the right-click to work, and it won't be running if you've disabled the icon.

I'm shocked.

SUPERAntiSpyware.exe running for just a right click context menu pick?

Then why should SAScore.exe run, when SUPERAntiSpyware.exe isn't?

This program (and I like it!) needs a bit of reengineering, IMHO.

Thanks again.

Atomic Blast :cry: