Shanks

Those pesky tracking cookies :-)

I know that the commonly held view here is that these things don't constitute spyware and I understand the reasons for this.

Can someone please just clarify for me before I decide whether or not to buy SAS. That although not removed in real time they will be discarded during the normal scheduled scan if I wish, even though I use Firefox as my browser for everything (apart from Windows updates of course!).

I also use AVG Free ver 7.5 and from what I've read here so far there doesn't appear to be any issues with these two running alongside each other...is there?

TIA for any responses, Shanks

I know that the commonly held view here is that these things don't constitute spyware and I understand the reasons for this.

Can someone please just clarify for me before I decide whether or not to buy SAS. That although not removed in real time they will be discarded during the normal scheduled scan if I wish, even though I use Firefox as my browser for everything (apart from Windows updates of course!).

I also use AVG Free ver 7.5 and from what I've read here so far there doesn't appear to be any issues with these two running alongside each other...is there?

There are no known issues with the two running together, we have thousands of users doing so already.

I've found SAS to be very effective at removing tracking cookies during scans when this option is chosen.

Wanted to confirm this for myself so after a few weeks of running SAS reinstalled Spyware Doctor and scanned with that after an SAS scan had completed, not a single cookie was detected nor anything else for that matter. :D

I have always handled cookies myself, through the browser settings, and I delete them and clear my cache at the end of the day, before a scan. Not all people will agree with this, as some like to keep some of the the more 'useful' cookies on board. It has never presented a problem for me and I like to keep the PC 'clutter free' and also see a nice clean scan result or, if it's bad news, genuine threats.

If you are using Firefox there are some neat 'cookie management' extensions available and you can also set it to clear them whenever you close the browser.

Thanks for the all the responses and information. I have downloaded and am running the pro version now and it is handling everything even better than I expected.

I only use Firefox now sunniebear, so I will look out for those cookie managment tools. For the moment though I am happy to see what SAS is picking up first.

It's certainly better than the previous software I was using and I think Nick will be getting a few of my $ soon :D

Cheers

Thanks for the all the responses and information. I have downloaded and am running the pro version now and it is handling everything even better than I expected.

I only use Firefox now sunniebear, so I will look out for those cookie managment tools. For the moment though I am happy to see what SAS is picking up first.

It's certainly better than the previous software I was using and I think Nick will be getting a few of my $ soon :D

Cheers

Sorry I can't remember the exact name of the extension I am thinking of, there are a few for managing cookies. Since upgrading to Vista I decided to give IE7 with 'Protected Mode' ago and I quite like it but I am not ruling out that I may put Firefox back on at some point in the future. If you go to the Mozilla site I am sure you will soon find them.

I have recently purchased SAS Pro, after running the trial. I am particularly impressed with the low resource usage and 'light footprint' and it co-habits nicely with my AV.

I generally don't have a malware problem myself, but when I used the free edition to clean a smitfraud type infecton off a neighbour's PC, that just kept reappearing after a reboot, after other software had tried to clean it, it was proof enough for me that it is certainly worth it's weight in gold. :D

I've found SAS to be very effective at removing tracking cookies during scans when this option is chosen.

Wanted to confirm this for myself so after a few weeks of running SAS reinstalled Spyware Doctor and scanned with that after an SAS scan had completed, not a single cookie was detected nor anything else for that matter. :D

Sorry this is off topic, but I just have to say hello, to dearset Saxel, 'the diplomat', as I have called you in the past. How nice to cross your path again.

Hope all is 'running' well for you now, and you are keeping well yourself.

Great to see you matie! :D:D:D

sunniebear - aka allibear

sunniebear aka allibear, Saxel aka Saxel

My, my... :lol: it is a small world. Please tell me this small corner is better than the other one, it seems to be so far.

Shanks aka Shanks :lol:

sunniebear aka allibear, Saxel aka Saxel

My, my... :lol: it is a small world. Please tell me this small corner is better than the other one, it seems to be so far.

Shanks aka Shanks :lol:

LOL :lol: Shanks sorry I had no recognition of the name at all, but yes it has now just hit me! There are a few 'bear' aka's around, don't ask, Goldielocks and the 3 bear's wouldn't be in it :lol:

There is definitely a lot more to learn here and expert help by those known as the 'Malware Hunter's' if you get into serious trouble. I hope I would never get into that situation but it is comforting to know that sort of expertise is there. I have been fascinated with the work going on in the threads on the cp1041 issues.

Unlike the other small corner, this is not a propaganda 'playground'. (I am sure you are aware of my thoughts on it as I have been somewhat vocal on certain issues). It is a place where issues get direct answers and hopefully from that resolved, which is what the user is really looking for in a forum.

Nice to see you here :wink:

PS Shanks. I recommend going the few extra $'s for lifetime updates.

No getting 'shafted' next year with changing pricing policies and autorenewals, it was a big draw factor for me to the product, after what I had went through before :D

:lol: Thanks for the welcome, I figured with the scale of the current exodus there must be somewhere where the grass really is greener. I was not at all surprised to see a few familiar names.

I've lurked here for a bit :oops: whilst I made my mind up and I get the impression that there is no hiding here by the admin/developers.

I'll check the $ difference for lifetime updates so thanks for the heads up on that one. (perhaps if we keep talking SAS up enough we can get a discount!!!! :lol::lol: )

Cheers

:lol: Thanks for the welcome, I figured with the scale of the current exodus there must be somewhere where the grass really is greener. I was not at all surprised to see a few familiar names.

I've lurked here for a bit :oops: whilst I made my mind up and I get the impression that there is no hiding here by the admin/developers.

I'll check the $ difference for lifetime updates so thanks for the heads up on that one. (perhaps if we keep talking SAS up enough we can get a discount!!!! :lol::lol: )

Cheers

It's an extra $9.99 if you take it up at the time of the original purchase. I thought it was a really good offer.

There are a few other 'familiar names' in the wings. I do not feel any guilt for that, it is not my fault that there was a problem with cleaning Spyware Locked coming up over and over again and I had to throw something else into the equation! My only concern was a lifeline for someone in need but I know it made me unpopular with some.

User's have to try for themselves and make up their own minds. :wink:

Sunnibear and Saxel:

So this is where all the lost souls from SD is going to meet again. Hopefully in a more peaceful and friendly environment.

I'm at present running the SAS free for evaluation together with SD v5 on my lap-top. Do not quite dare to run the full version with active guards yet, SD might start 'smoking'! I have even put it in on my two Dells running McAfee. So far no problems, and no errors.

One thing a bit annoying: Why reboot required for just getting rid of some tracking cookies? (No S-trackers this time s-bear) :lol:

Dear Friends

Its so good to bump into you all again.

I must say I'm very happy with SAS :) it seems to have integrated perfectly with F-Secure so far at least and the PC has never been quicker or felt more stable.

Reodor, I've not so far had to reboot after a scan to remove tracking cookies, perhaps I'm lucky this time

So I can honestly say that the programme has exceeded all expectations and no automatic renewals either!

The forum seems very friendly and informative, and its nice to know help and support of the highest quality are on hand in the event of problems.

I guess SAS & PC tools have each got the quality of forum they deserve and the forums also represent the different culture of the 2 companies.

So Nick and colleagues thanks for a class leading product and support second to none

A very satisfied customer

Sunnibear and Saxel:

So this is where all the lost souls from SD is going to meet again. Hopefully in a more peaceful and friendly environment.

I'm at present running the SAS free for evaluation together with SD v5 on my lap-top. Do not quite dare to run the full version with active guards yet, SD might start 'smoking'! I have even put it in on my two Dells running McAfee. So far no problems, and no errors.

One thing a bit annoying: Why reboot required for just getting rid of some tracking cookies? (No S-trackers this time s-bear) :lol:

Welcome reodor :lol: I see you are still soldiering on.

I have unchecked the option for scanning for cookies as I always have just eaten them myself. On the other machines I had used SAS, because of infection, there where cookies picked up but obviously it had to reboot to remove the real nasty stuff I was hoping it would. So I haven't actually seen a scan result with just some cookies. Saxel has reported not having to reboot just for the removal of cookies, I hope you are not just getting 'unlucky' again :lol:

Good to see you buddy :)

Dear Friends

Its so good to bump into you all again.

I must say I'm very happy with SAS :) it seems to have integrated perfectly with F-Secure so far at least and the PC has never been quicker or felt more stable.

Reodor, I've not so far had to reboot after a scan to remove tracking cookies, perhaps I'm lucky this time

So I can honestly say that the programme has exceeded all expectations and no automatic renewals either!

The forum seems very friendly and informative, and its nice to know help and support of the highest quality are on hand in the event of problems.

I guess SAS & PC tools have each got the quality of forum they deserve and the forums also represent the different culture of the 2 companies.

So Nick and colleagues thanks for a class leading product and support second to none

A very satisfied customer

Dearest Saxel,

As ever so thoughtful and diplomatically put.

I share your sentiments, I too am more than happy with my latest purchase and so, more importantly, is my PC. Stable and as responsive as it should be.

I also convey my thanks to Nick and the SAS team :D

Hi folks and welcome to the SAS forums :)

I think i read somewhere back a while the reason why SAS wants to reboot on some occaisions for the removal of cookies is that one or more of the text files are being held open(in use at the time of scanning).

Hence why SAS goes to default action of reboot to remove the file(s) on some occaisions but not all.

With reguards the *malware hunter* forum title,we are just forum members that are proactive in malware research elsewhere and consequently submit new stuff to SAS HQ when it is unearthed.We are not SAS employee's/affiliates and our work/support is voluntary here :)

The *malware hunter* status at this forum gives us access to a closed forum where we can report back information/data that hopefully is of benefit for both SAS and ultimetly their end user's.

FWIW As long as SAS provides a free fully functioning detection and cleaning engine for use by anyone then i for one will continue my efforts and keep my "SAS free fanboy#1" status :D

fatdcuk,

Thanks for dropping in with some info. I have seen your name pop up over on castlecops. Love the work you do here, straight forward and patient! :)