Sign in to follow this  
KNRover

SAS ignores Excluded Folders

I use the free version of SAS. I notice that the new version (I have 5.0.1134) ignores the Excluded Folders list. Is this a bug or does that list only work in the paid version?

I use the free version of SAS. I notice that the new version (I have 5.0.1134) ignores the Excluded Folders list. Is this a bug or does that list only work in the paid version?

Hello KNRover! sorry you are having this problem! have you tried un-installing SaS free, then downloading a fresh installation file from the stie and re-installing SaS with this fresh installer? this might fix your problem. I hope it does, if not please return and myself or someone else will assist you further!

Hello KNRover! sorry you are having this problem! have you tried un-installing SAS free, then downloading a fresh installation file from the stie and re-installing SaS with this fresh installer? this might fix your problem. I hope it does, if not please return and myself or someone else will assist you further!

Since I have installed a couple of PROGRAM updates since ver. 5 was release, I didn't think uninstalling and reinstalling would solve the problem. Unfortunately, I was right; it still ignores the exclusion list.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the product.

Since I have installed a couple of PROGRAM updates since ver. 5 was release, I didn't think uninstalling and reinstalling would solve the problem. Unfortunately, I was right; it still ignores the exclusion list.

Something is fundamentally wrong with the product.

perhaps, I hope someone from SaS can assist hastily then!

KNRover,

What type of scan are you running?

I was running a Quick Scan. I seldom run full scans, but did one today just to see if it would pay attention to the exclude list. It does not. It does not scan the folder on the exclude list if I run a Critical Point scan, but that's to be expected; CP scans are only for system32 and the like, not non-system files.

SAS 5 does skip excluded folders during the scan. What is happening that makes you conclude that SAS is not function properly? Are you detecting items in an excluded folder?

No -- no detections. I noticed that Quick Scans were taking longer than I thought they should, so ran one and closely watched the files-being-scanned line. I could see that it was not only scanning the zip files in C:\My Temp\Backups, but every individual file within the zip files. The three zip files in that subfolder total ~1.4GB, which lengthens the scan time substantially (approximately doubles it). After adding C:\My Temp to the excluded files list (only item in the list), I reran a Quick Scan. SAS still scanned all the files in that folder, including every individual file within the zip files.

I also did timed tests. Quick Scan time with above folder excluded: 2:59. Time with no exclusions in exclusion list: 2:59.

I also have checked "Ignore files larger than 4MB", so SAS is also ignoring that.

Perhaps I should reiterate that I'm using the FREE version of the program. Although I get no message saying this, does the folder exclusion list only work in the PAID version?

Well, guess what, folks? I just spent the last 20 minutes or so testing two of the exclusion preferences in SAS -- the 'Ignore files >4MB' and the folder exclusion list. I had not tested the 'Ignore files >4MB' (which has always been checked), so I unchecked it AND removed the one folder I added to the folder exclusion list. A Quick Scan under these settings took 6:38 -- way more than the 2:59 it has been taking. I then reset the preferences, re-checking the 'Ignore files >4MB' AND adding my C:\My Temp folder back to the excluded folder list, and ran a Quick Scan. 2:02!!! And I watched the files-being-scanned line closely to see if I saw any of the files in C:\My Temp being scanned. NOPE!; no longer being scanned.

Conclusion: The exclusionary preferences in the new SAS (ver. 5) can apparently become corrupted, and are thereby ignored. When I removed or added back the folder to the folder exclusion list, it made no difference, so that won't fix it. BUT, if you uncheck the 'Ignore files >4MB', close SAS, reopen it, then recheck that checkbox, it makes the exclusions -- both big files and the folder exclusion -- work.

It seems odd to me that >4MB checkbox and the folder exclusion list would in any way be linked, but I trust somebody will look into how they can corrupt. In the meantime, if you run into the same issue, just do the unchecking and re-checking I described, and that should fix it.

My last post to this thread indicated that by unchecking and rechecking the first "Ignore" checkbox in the Scanning Controls would make that selection work. Well, I just downloaded and installed the latest program update (ver. 5.0.1136) and that no longer works. The program now ignores anything you enter into the Scanning Control tab.

Message to the programmers: This is a major gaf. You need to fix it post haste.

2nd message to the programmers: This may not be happening in all versions of Windows, so I will tell you that I'm experiencing this on a desktop running Win XP SP-3.

My last post to this thread indicated that by unchecking and rechecking the first "Ignore" checkbox in the Scanning Controls would make that selection work. Well, I just downloaded and installed the latest program update (ver. 5.0.1136) and that no longer works. The program now ignores anything you enter into the Scanning Control tab.

Message to the programmers: This is a major gaf. You need to fix it post haste.

2nd message to the programmers: This may not be happening in all versions of Windows, so I will tell you that I'm experiencing this on a desktop running Win XP SP-3.

I think what KnRover means is that any folders added should be ignored when scanning, yes, which it normally does this, but for him, for some reason it is actually ignoring what he adds in there, as in even though he added a file or folder, it is STILL scanning said file/ or folder/s