jomin1016

Problems running SAS

I have a friend's computer that is running windows XP. It has some spyware (rogues? perhaps) and when I try to run SAS it begins and suddenly just disappears and shuts down. I have tried the online scanner as well with the same results. What can I do?

SAS doesn't run in safe mode, so you would have to either download malwarebytes and run that in safe mode, or get dr web's cureit! antivirus software that when run scans in a mode that prevents malware from shutting it down.

SAS does run in safe mode and that would be my first suggestion. Boot to safe mode and run a scan with SAS.

OK - so I got the malware bytes and dr web, but now he's got two laptops that won't boot at all...

I did seem to remember SAS running in safe mode, but wasn't sure, but of course, now, neither one of these is an option.

The first pc, running XP, just goes to a black screen no matter what option is selected (safe mode, safe mode w/ network, last known good config.etc)

The second, running W7, does the same, but hangs on a blue kind of desktop screen, sometimes restarting.

OK - so I got the malware bytes and dr web, but now he's got two laptops that won't boot at all...

I did seem to remember SAS running in safe mode, but wasn't sure, but of course, now, neither one of these is an option.

The first pc, running XP, just goes to a black screen no matter what option is selected (safe mode, safe mode w/ network, last known good config.etc)

The second, running W7, does the same, but hangs on a blue kind of desktop screen, sometimes restarting.

okay, if you can Jomin click this link on a safe PC, and down the AVG rescue CD http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd#tba3 burn the ISO file to a CD, then boot one of the computers from this CD, do updates, and scan the PC using the rescue CD, if the malware is preventing the PC from booting this disc should allow you to scan before the malware can even load, and hopefully will be able to remove the infection/s also, the instructions on how to do everything can be obtained in the link as well, if need be!

ah, okay, somewhere I had read it didn't somewhere.

Okay, well, thank you everyone for your help and answers. Before I got there, another friend brought over a similar "boot disk" and got the xp one to boot and did a system restore...and ran the scans and that one is up and running fine....The second one, he pulled the hard drive out to transfer some files over to the working pc, but for some reason, couldn't read the hard drive. He ended up taking everything home to work on it. We'll see..I guess...once again thank you everyone for your help.