Sign in to follow this  
QPhysics

Why doesn't real-time protection block tracking cookies?

I run a scan every night, and every night SUPERAntiSpyware finds 150-200 tracking cookies...usually from the same sites as the night before. Why isn't real-time protection blocking these cookies from being written to the drive? Or at least, why can't I set up (or am I just missing the place where I can do this) a list of cookies to block?

I thought, from the description on the website, that this was part of what real-time protection would do, and that's one of the big reasons I bought the pro version instead of sticking with the free version.

I run a scan every night, and every night SUPERAntiSpyware finds 150-200 tracking cookies...usually from the same sites as the night before. Why isn't real-time protection blocking these cookies from being written to the drive? Or at least, why can't I set up (or am I just missing the place where I can do this) a list of cookies to block?

I thought, from the description on the website, that this was part of what real-time protection would do, and that's one of the big reasons I bought the pro version instead of sticking with the free version.

I dont know where did you read that the real-time protection blocks tracking cookies.They are not dangerous or malware neither,only text files. IF you are using firefox, there are extensions and options that help to block tracking cookies.

I dont know where did you read that the real-time protection blocks tracking cookies.They are not dangerous or malware neither,only text files. IF you are using firefox, there are extensions and options that help to block tracking cookies.

On the SUPERAntiSpyware home page, it says, "Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware and Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats." Since it removes tracking cookies, doesn't it stand to reason that they are among the "other types of threats"? It also says, "Real-Time Blocking of threats!"

So I don't think an inference that tracking cookies would be blocked in real time is out of bounds. I was wondering if I was missing a setting somewhere or if I'd read too much into what the home page says. I guess it's the latter.

On the SUPERAntiSpyware home page, it says, "Detect and Remove Spyware, Adware and Remove Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products and many other types of threats." Since it removes tracking cookies, doesn't it stand to reason that they are among the "other types of threats"? It also says, "Real-Time Blocking of threats!"

So I don't think an inference that tracking cookies would be blocked in real time is out of bounds. I was wondering if I was missing a setting somewhere or if I'd read too much into what the home page says. I guess it's the latter.

Basically all websites use cookies. Even this one. "Tracking cookie" is a term used by malware scanners, but they are not malware, nor are they as insidious as they sound. They are necessary for the operation of the sites. They are what keep you logged in from one page to another on a given site, or allow you to use online shopping sites (shopping cart), among other things. If the scanner blocked all cookies in realtime as they come in, it would break functionality of basically all websites.

For example, if you are on Amazon and click an item to "Add to Cart" without a session cookie present, the item would never make it to the cart, because the site has no way to 'track' your session. Or if you logged into this site and attempted to reply to this post without a session cookie, when you click "Add Reply", the board software would not recognize that you are logged in.

That's what 'tracking cookies' do.