kjempen

SUPERAntiSpyware on-demand scan + AVG Anti-Spyware = freeze?

I have SUPERAntiSpyware Professional v3.6.1000 and AVG Anti-Spyware v 7.5.0.50. I don't use both applications real-time (just SUPERAntiSpyware). But if I have opened AVG Anti-Spyware and ran an update or scan, and then closed it and gone back to SUPERAntiSpyware and do a scan with it (custom scan: memory, registry, startup locations, cookies, selected folders (C:\)), then it usually freezes my computer. I can't do anything; no keys on the keyboard works and my mouse doesn't work to move or click. I have to use the power on/off button on my PC or the reset button.

I have noticed that, for some reason, AVG Anti-Spyware's "guard.exe" file usually keeps running even after shutting down/exiting the program, and that's usually when the freeze in SUPERAntiSpyware happens (from what I can remember). I think it is during the scanning of the registry.

It's not really a big problem. As long as I remember to shut down this process (or not run AVG Anti-Spyware), then everything is fine.

I'm just wondering if this is a known incompatability? And if it is possible to fix/patch? That is, if it really is what's causing SUPERAntiSpyware to freeze on my PC? I've been testing a lot of software (and malware) on this PC and it is starting to get a bit "messy". I haven't done a reformat in several years.

I have SUPERAntiSpyware Professional v3.6.1000 and AVG Anti-Spyware v 7.5.0.50. I don't use both applications real-time (just SUPERAntiSpyware). But if I have opened AVG Anti-Spyware and ran an update or scan, and then closed it and gone back to SUPERAntiSpyware and do a scan with it (custom scan: memory, registry, startup locations, cookies, selected folders (C:\)), then it usually freezes my computer. I can't do anything; no keys on the keyboard works and my mouse doesn't work to move or click. I have to use the power on/off button on my PC or the reset button.

I have noticed that, for some reason, AVG Anti-Spyware's "guard.exe" file usually keeps running even after shutting down/exiting the program, and that's usually when the freeze in SUPERAntiSpyware happens (from what I can remember). I think it is during the scanning of the registry.

It's not really a big problem. As long as I remember to shut down this process (or not run AVG Anti-Spyware), then everything is fine.

I'm just wondering if this is a known incompatability? And if it is possible to fix/patch? That is, if it really is what's causing SUPERAntiSpyware to freeze on my PC? I've been testing a lot of software (and malware) on this PC and it is starting to get a bit "messy". I haven't done a reformat in several years.

We don't have any specific issues with AVG - can you reproduce this on your system each time or does it only happen once in a while?

I have tried AVG AS real-time and SUPERAntiSpyware Pro real-time and they are working fine. :)

I have tried AVG AS real-time and SUPERAntiSpyware Pro real-time and they are working fine. :)

Sorry, but you must have misunderstood me.

Let me try to explain once again (hoping this is short and clear enough):

This scenario: AVG Anti-Spyware real-time ("guard.exe") + SUPERAntiSpyware Pro real-time = fine

This scenario: AVG Anti-Spyware real-time ("guard.exe") + SUPERAntiSpyware Pro manual, on-demand scan = freeze (15 minutes or so out in the scan)***

*** - To add to the explanation: SUPERAntiSpyware is the application doing an on-demand scan, not AVG Anti-Spyware. AVG Anti-Spyware only has its "guard.exe" running. The application itself (AVG Anti-Spyware) has been closed/exited, but for some reason "guard.exe" (which I've assumed is the real-time monitor) still runs.

If it is still unclear, let me know.

Sorry, but you must have misunderstood me.

Let me try to explain once again (hoping this is short and clear enough):

This scenario: AVG Anti-Spyware real-time ("guard.exe") + SUPERAntiSpyware Pro real-time = fine

This scenario: AVG Anti-Spyware real-time ("guard.exe") + SUPERAntiSpyware Pro manual, on-demand scan = freeze (15 minutes or so out in the scan)***

*** - To add to the explanation: SUPERAntiSpyware is the application doing an on-demand scan, not AVG Anti-Spyware. AVG Anti-Spyware only has its "guard.exe" running. The application itself (AVG Anti-Spyware) has been closed/exited, but for some reason "guard.exe" (which I've assumed is the real-time monitor) still runs.

If it is still unclear, let me know.

It sounds like the GUARD.EXE is hanging the scan when we are accessing a file. If you disable/terminate the GUARD.EXE the scan runs fine?

It sounds like the GUARD.EXE is hanging the scan when we are accessing a file. If you disable/terminate the GUARD.EXE the scan runs fine?

Correct. As I said, it is only a minor annoyance, and it seems it doesn't happen always? I'm trying to reproduce this now, and well into the scan, and so far no freeze. But it never froze when GUARD.EXE has been terminated.

2 On-Guard protections being used at the same time = bloatware. Can easily cause your computer to be slow and freeze from time-to-time.

You're guaranteed to get viruses and spyware if you rely on Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware to catch all of your malware.

-- Get a sense of computer security and don't open any executable you're not sure about.

Would include: Warez and illegal downloads, and rouge anti-viruses/anti-spywares. Any software you download might even be malicious as well.