bobbyc

Question : Scan problem with Memory Files

Twice now I have have started a scan, and noticed 20 mintues later that the Memory Files were up to 90,000 plus files scanned and still going.

Normal amount of Memory Files scanned are about 440.

On 3/31/07, 112 memory Files scanned.

Today, 76 Memory Files scanned.

On a re-scan right after the 1st scan, there were 440 memory Files scanned. I was running a Nod32 AV scan at the same time.

Build and trace version have not made a difference. Perhaps something running in the background will account for the low #s ?

But what the heck is the reason for the runaway train 100,000 Memory Files and climbing? SAS was the only AV or AS program I had running at the time.

Thanks - 1GB RAM, Pent 4 3.0 HT, XP Home, SAS Build 3.6.1000

Twice now I have have started a scan, and noticed 20 mintues later that the Memory Files were up to 90,000 plus files scanned and still going.

Normal amount of Memory Files scanned are about 440.

On 3/31/07, 112 memory Files scanned.

Today, 76 Memory Files scanned.

On a re-scan right after the 1st scan, there were 440 memory Files scanned. I was running a Nod32 AV scan at the same time.

Build and trace version have not made a difference. Perhaps something running in the background will account for the low #s ?

But what the heck is the reason for the runaway train 100,000 Memory Files and climbing? SAS was the only AV or AS program I had running at the time.

Thanks - 1GB RAM, Pent 4 3.0 HT, XP Home, SAS Build 3.6.1000

What other security applications are you running?

I have Nod32 AV, Comodo Firewall, Adaware SE personal, Spybot, Spywareblster, Spywareguard,

My hunch is that one of them is filtering the Toolhelp and/or PSAPI and causing the loop. Does this happen every time, or just sometimes?

I have Nod32 AV, Comodo Firewall, Adaware SE personal, Spybot, Spywareblster, Spywareguard,

My hunch is that one of them is filtering the Toolhelp and/or PSAPI and causing the loop. Does this happen every time, or just sometimes?

the "loop", ie; memory files running ad infinitum (?). I scan once a day, and it has happened twice in the last 20 days.

the "loop", ie; memory files running ad infinitum (?). I scan once a day, and it has happened twice in the last 20 days.

It sounds like one of the other applications is filtering the memory files and causing the problem. When scanning, are you opening other programs, etc. at the same time?

I usually do not run other programs at the same time as SAS. I have in the past few months, run Nod32, SAS, and Spybot or Adaware (3 at a time), at the same time to see what CPU and Memory usage would be like. Two or three times, and they all ran slower than normal, but they all completed successfully.

I cannot be absolutely sure, but i do not think that I was running other programs when the memory files were looping. Out of the three times the memory files were abnormally low, I was running another AV/AS program alongside SAS, one time.

I usually do not run other programs at the same time as SAS. I have in the past few months, run Nod32, SAS, and Spybot or Adaware (3 at a time), at the same time to see what CPU and Memory usage would be like. Two or three times, and they all ran slower than normal, but they all completed successfully.

I cannot be absolutely sure, but i do not think that I was running other programs when the memory files were looping. Out of the three times the memory files were abnormally low, I was running another AV/AS program alongside SAS, one time.

If it happens again, can you try and note the circumstances and we can try and reproduce it?

it sounds like you are running multiple scanners, multiple "on-demand"-scans, at the same time, and i think that therein lies the problem..

personally, i usually disable all of my realtime scanners/realtime-scanning when i am doing an "on-demand"-scan, and, of course, i never run multiple on-demand-scans at the same time..

red : all has been well recently, except for three days ago when I was not running anything but SAS, although I was surfing a few pages thru IE7. The memory files ran wild again. That has been the only time it has happened since early april, and it hasn't happened since,

but we shall see.

I have just scanned my PC for the first time in ages. The memory scan got to over 1.1 million files in over 8 hours so I kept pausing and re-starting the scan. The same files kept showing up so it looks like the scan got in a loop.

The only other security program I am running is AVG Free.

Any ideas?

I have just scanned my PC for the first time in ages. The memory scan got to over 1.1 million files in over 8 hours so I kept pausing and re-starting the scan. The same files kept showing up so it looks like the scan got in a loop.

The only other security program I am running is AVG Free.

Any ideas?

If you simply exit and re-start the scan what happens?