Seth

Can't activate.

Hello Nick.

I just cleaned up an XP Home SP2 system using SAS. It had a heavy infection of Adware and two Trojans. I followed up with a BitDefender online scan, which mostly found some benign remnants. I followed that with HijackThis.

Everything is running great now, but I can't activate SAS. I keep getting: "Unable to connect to the activation server, check firewall, etc".

Notes:

1) The only firewall is XP's and I added SAS to it's exceptions. I also tried activating with the firewall disabled.

2) Msconfig is clear other than SAS.

3) Zone Alarm was removed. (Hint?)

4) SAS will update fine.

5) I've ran the System File Checker.

Is there a problem with the activation server?

I would try activating using Safe Mode With Networking, but I would rather like to know what the problem is.

Hello Nick.

I just cleaned up an XP Home SP2 system using SAS. It had a heavy infection of Adware and two Trojans. I followed up with a BitDefender online scan, which mostly found some benign remnants. I followed that with HijackThis.

Everything is running great now, but I can't activate SAS. I keep getting: "Unable to connect to the activation server, check firewall, etc".

Notes:

1) The only firewall is XP's and I added SAS to it's exceptions. I also tried activating with the firewall disabled.

2) Msconfig is clear other than SAS.

3) Zone Alarm was removed. (Hint?)

4) SAS will update fine.

5) I've ran the System File Checker.

Is there a problem with the activation server?

I would try activating using Safe Mode With Networking, but I would rather like to know what the problem is.

We are receiving active activations, so things are fine on this end. Why don't we handle this in a support ticket here:

https://www.superantispyware.com/support.html

This way I can have you run a diagnostic and we can figure out what is going on - when ZoneAlarm was removed, is there still a VSMON.EXE running? If that is, then Internet access can be filtered.

Well Nick, I'm glad I mentioned the hint about Zone Alarm. Vsmon.exe was indeed running. I disabled Zone Labs True Vector Monitoring service, then ended vsmon's misery through the registry. SAS then activated fine!

Thanks!

Well Nick, I'm glad I mentioned the hint about Zone Alarm. Vsmon.exe was indeed running. I disabled Zone Labs True Vector Monitoring service, then ended vsmon's misery through the registry. SAS then activated fine!

Thanks!

ZoneAlarm has that problem where often after uninstallation the VSMON is still running and some, if not all Internet access can be blocked.

Thanks!

ZoneAlarm has that problem where often after uninstallation the VSMON is still running and some, if not all Internet access can be blocked.

Not only that, I found about a dozen entries for Zone Alarm throughout the reg and file system. Got rid of all them as well.

It must take up a lot of your time having to deal with issues that are caused by other programs.