Sign in to follow this  
Felin

Scan has been running for almost 9 hours now. What to do??

Hello all,

Just downloaded SAS last night and started running first scan. Went to bed, got up this mornin and it is still running. Only thing is it appears to be stuck on same file. Has been on this file for at least 15 minutes now.

Please advise.

Also, I am so not computer literate so please be gentle with your terminology and detailed in steps I need to take, if you would please.

Thanks so much!

Threats Detected thus far - 149 (including tracking cookies)

Felin

Hello.

Cancel the scan and allow SAS to remove the items found so far.

Restart the computer, disable SAS's "scan inside Zip...", run a scan and post back with how long it takes (or is taking)

Hello.

Restart the computer, disable SAS's "scan inside Zip...", run a scan and post back with how long it takes (or is taking)

Thank you very much!

Going to try it now. Will be back with results later.

Felin

I cannot find anywhere that it says "scan inside zip.." Where am I to find the area where I can disable this?

I have the Free version.

Help!

Thanks

Since you just downloaded SAS, I'm assuming you have V5.xx, correct?

If so, click on "Scan Your Computer" and on the next screen you'll see the option for Zip archives.

Since you just downloaded SAS, I'm assuming you have V5.xx, correct?

If so, click on "Scan Your Computer" and on the next screen you'll see the option for Zip archives.

Ahhh, didn't realize that I first had to click on "Scan...." to find this option. Boy was I searching and searching. ha.

Thank you so much Seth!

Gonna run the scan now thanks to you.

Will post up again after scan is done.

Felin

You're welcome.

In hindsight, I should have been more specific as to where that option was.

I'll be back in a couple of hours to see how it went.

You're welcome.

In hindsight, I should have been more specific as to where that option was.

I'll be back in a couple of hours to see how it went.

Found and then deleted or quarantined 171 items.

However, my pc actually seems worse now. It's back to opening everything up really really slowly, including both Firefox and IE. Tried em both.

Having 2 problems that neither this scan nor my avast scan has been able to remedy:

1. When restarting pc it doesn't reboot, it just sorta goes into this noman's land. Black screen. I then, unfortunately, have to turn pc off manually which I know is not best (is the only solution tho). What happens then is it then starts to turn itself off and decides to turn itself back on. Weird! Upon turning itself back on, it then restarts correctly. Well, almost anyhow.

2. Each time it restarts, it resets the screen resolution to the lowest possible. So weird! Soooo, each and every time I have to restart, I also, then, have to go in and put settings back where they belong.

3. Avast is brand new to the pc and after running a full scan on it, it seemed to eliminate whatever it was that was causing the internet either not to open or to open ultra ultra slowly. However, since having run SAS, it's back to that again now. By the way, there were a few things that Avast could not scan apparently. One of them said this: C:\WINDOWS\bootstat.dat Error: Data error (cyclic redundancy/check)(23). I'm clueless as to what this is, what it means and what I should do about it, if anything.

4. Lastly, Windows keeps telling me that I have an update. I click to update it and after a couple of minutes it says that it was unable to install it. It's the same file every time. Says, "Some Updates could not be installed" "The following updates were not installed" - Update for Windows XP (KB2570791). When I looked in the "Windows" folder (is that called a directory?) it shows that that file IS already there. Anyways.

Confused about all of the above.

Any ideas? Help?

Thanks

Ouch.

As soon as you turn on the computer, start tapping F8 and you'll get to various options as to how XP can start. Use the arrow keys then select 'Last Known Good Configuration" and press enter.

If that doesn't help, then from that menu choose "Safe Mode With Command Prompt". At the command prompt type in: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter. That will start System Restore, so choose a restore point before these issues occurred.

...and if that doesn't help, then post the make and model of the computer. Also, do you have an XP cd, and if so, does it say anything like "Factory restore" or "Recovery"?

Ouch.

As soon as you turn on the computer, start tapping F8 and you'll get to various options as to how XP can start. Use the arrow keys then select 'Last Known Good Configuration" and press enter.

If that doesn't help, then from that menu choose "Safe Mode With Command Prompt". At the command prompt type in: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press Enter. That will start System Restore, so choose a restore point before these issues occurred.

...and if that doesn't help, then post the make and model of the computer. Also, do you have an XP cd, and if so, does it say anything like "Factory restore" or "Recovery"?

Believe it or not, I've already tried all of these things. I don't think that I do have the cd. Bummer. Do you know what these behaviors might be indicating?

Those issues indicate serious corruption in XP.

Did you try system restore from normal mode?

What is the make and model of the PC?

Hello.

How do you allow SAS to "remove the items found so far" when you cancel the scan? I wanted to do this a few times when I had to end the scan prematurely but I didn't see the option to remove the items when cancelling the scan prematurely

How do you allow SAS to "remove the items found so far" when you cancel the scan? I wanted to do this a few times when I had to end the scan prematurely but I didn't see the option to remove the items when cancelling the scan prematurely

I should have worded that more accurately.

During the scan, if you click on "Stop Scan", you'll have the option to remove the items found so far.