EyeOnYou

HKCR broken file association

(WinXP,SP3; free version of SAS)

Last Friday, my internet experience became unstable, so I restarted in Safe Mode and ran SuperAntiSpyware. The only serious threat found was "System.BrokenFileAssociation HKCR\.exe." I deleted it and discovered upon restart that Windows could not load some of my Start-up programs, I could not open programs using my desktop shortcuts (their icons had become generic Windows file icons), and I could not get online. I tried to do a System Restore, but Windows could not find that program either.

Apparently, a similar problem has happened to others using SAS. See the thread titled System.BrokenFileAssociation (April 30,2010).

A friend ran a program on my computer that re-associated the files with their programs and was then able to run System Restore.

The next day, I updated and re-ran SuperAntiSpyware. It again found the same "Critical Threat," but I have NOT removed it, and my computer is working just fine.

Some of the posts from 2010 indicate this issue was resolved. Why is it cropping up when I run SAS in August 2011?

P.S. Both Avast and another anti-malware program found no threats.

P.P.S. I still don't know what caused the original instability; System Restore eliminated whatever it was.

post-14609-0-51737900-1314933761_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the SAS forum.

There are some rare instances in which that issue occurs.

Make sure SAS is fully updated and run a scan again. If HKCR appears, set SAS to "Trust/Allow" it.

Welcome to the SAS forum.

There are some rare instances in which that issue occurs.

Make sure SAS is fully updated and run a scan again. If HKCR appears, set SAS to "Trust/Allow" it.

Ok, I'll do that. Thank you.

Can you give details about what particular set-ups -- the OS? hardware? -- create these "rare instances"?

You're welcome.

As far as I've seen, it only seems to happen on XP systems. I don't know any other details.

"..only...on XP systems." That's a LOT of systems.

Why hasn't the fix been incorporated into the updates?

Let me re-phrase that:

It only seems to happen in rare instances on XP systems.

Other than that, you'll have to wait for a SAS developer to answer any other questions about it.

Let me re-phrase that:

It only seems to happen in rare instances on XP systems.

Other than that, you'll have to wait for a SAS developer to answer any other questions about it.

Ok, thanks.