jonnydude

SAS giving my computer issues. HELP!

Hi,

I have been using SuperAntiSpyware's free version for around a year now. A couple days ago there was a silent update on my laptop and I am now using version 5.0.1118. Ever since, I have had many problems on my computer. My Internet has suddenly become very slow at times, web pages don't load at times, programs will freeze and my computer is slower at boot. I have tried a system restore to what it was like last week just to make sure it was not from something else. However, once I did the system restore my computer was forced to update SuperAntiSpyware again and now those problems have come back. Could somebody please help me with this? I am very technology-challenged so many of these terms probably need to be explained. Thank you.

Welcome to the SAS forum.

Please go into Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and put a check on "Show processes form all users". Report back with the amount of CPU and memory usage that SAS is using.

Also list any programs which consume more than 10% of the CPU or more than 150,000K of memory.

Having the exact same problem. I noticed SAS version 5 is much slower at processing web pages when your surfing. This is one of the reasons I decided to purchase SAS because it used very little resources on my computer. Unfortunately that's no longer true. I have a very fast computer and internet SAS still takes way too long to load web pages. Sometimes when I open Firefox the browser will hang for up to 30 seconds before the actual web page will load. Whenever this happens if you kill SAS in task manager the web page loads immediately. Thus it's obvious SAS is causing this sluggish internet browsing.

-Shane

Unfortunately SAS version 5 has become a real resource hog. Way more than the older version. So if you don't mind really slow internet browsing then version 5 is for you. Sometimes I feel like I'm using 56K again! I used to love SAS but not so much any more :-(

-Shane

Are you running SUPERAntiSpyware Professional or Free?

I'm running the professional version. I noticed the slower browsing immediately after I installed version 5.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Shane

Try disabling real-time protection.

Tried that and immediately my internet browsing speed improves greatly. It's mostly the latency. You click on the link and it takes a long time to load because SAS has the screen the content first.

However what good is SAS if I have to turn off real-time protection just to surf the web without delay?

-Shane

We are still in the process of "tuning" the real time engine to protect machines without adversely affecting performance. In our testing we had no problems. However, we are aware that there are a multitude of machine configurations. We are working to resolve issues as we become aware of them.

We are still in the process of "tuning" the real time engine to protect machines without adversely affecting performance. In our testing we had no problems. However, we are aware that there are a multitude of machine configurations. We are working to resolve issues as we become aware of them.

My computer isn't anything complicate. It's actually a pretty fast computer. Here's it's stats...

MS Windows XP PRO, Intel Core x 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2 GB of RAM. You would think that a computer that's as fast as mine SAS wouldn't cause so much latency when browsing. This is the MAIN reason I purchased SAS pro for all my office computers. It used very little resources when browsing the net and SAS worked well with Mcaffee. Now SAS has lost the main feature I decided to buy it. I hope you can optimize SAS to fix this issue.

Sincerely,

Shane

I ran SAS yesterday (XP-Dell E1505 laptop) as it was recommended. My computer is now so slow it is virtually unusable and does not respond for HOURS, then one click and the hour glass shows up for HOURS longer. It was running OK before I ran SAS, I just wanted to clean it up a bit and saw the online recommendations for SAS. I now regret ever downloading it. What is the solution for this untenable situation? i am dead in the water right now and have been all day.