JerryM

Possible Conflicts - SAS and Security Suites?

Hi Nick,

I am currently running F-Secure AV, not the suite, on my laptop. The AV has an antispyware module, although it does not update frequently. The last update was 6/19/06.

I am considering going to the F-Secure Internet Security when the 6 months trial of the AV expires.

I do not know if there is a difference in the AS component of the AV and the suite. I am wondering if you are aware of any conflicts between this or other AV Internet Security suites? I think most or all have an anti-spyware component.

Here are the other applications I have on the laptop that are in real time.

F-Secure AV, Kerio 2.1.5 firewall, Snoopfree, UnHackMe, Spyware Guard, and Win Patrol Plus. Currently all are running well together. I also have Counterspy on demand, and I intend to not renew the license for it. It has not exhibited any conflict with SAS when I call it up.

I normally prefer stand alone AVs and other security, but I might go for a suite on the laptop, and it could be KIS 2006. I have until December to decide so it is not critical at this point in time.

I also have Ewiso Plus, which I forgot to list.

Thanks,

Jerry

Hi Nick,

I am currently running F-Secure AV, not the suite, on my laptop. The AV has an antispyware module, although it does not update frequently. The last update was 6/19/06.

I am considering going to the F-Secure Internet Security when the 6 months trial of the AV expires.

I do not know if there is a difference in the AS component of the AV and the suite. I am wondering if you are aware of any conflicts between this or other AV Internet Security suites? I think most or all have an anti-spyware component.

Here are the other applications I have on the laptop that are in real time.

F-Secure AV, Kerio 2.1.5 firewall, Snoopfree, UnHackMe, Spyware Guard, and Win Patrol Plus. Currently all are running well together. I also have Counterspy on demand, and I intend to not renew the license for it. It has not exhibited any conflict with SAS when I call it up.

I normally prefer stand alone AVs and other security, but I might go for a suite on the laptop, and it could be KIS 2006. I have until December to decide so it is not critical at this point in time.

I also have Ewiso Plus, which I forgot to list.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,

There should be no problem at all with the other products. You may wish to disable their real-time while scanning, as it can slow the scan down since each file we access is scanned by KAV, F-Prot, etc.

I'm using KIS6.0. I have trojan in my Computer. When I scaned my computer with SuperAntispyware, KIS warned me, that trojan is found, SuperAntispyware isn't found anything. But when I disable KIS, Superantispyware found the trojan. Is it by design, that SuperAntispyware don't show the warning, when KIS find the malware ? Or is it conflict between them ?

I'm using KIS6.0. I have trojan in my Computer. When I scaned my computer with SuperAntispyware, KIS warned me, that trojan is found, SuperAntispyware isn't found anything. But when I disable KIS, Superantispyware found the trojan. Is it by design, that SuperAntispyware don't show the warning, when KIS find the malware ? Or is it conflict between them ?

It's not a conflict - what is happening is that KIS has a Filter Driver and is detecting the file as we read it before we can scan it - so it essentially is getting the file first.

I may be in error, but I have the impression that the AV essentially always detects malware first. I know that once I had a trojan attempt to infect my computere. I was using BiT Defender AV, and Ewido Plus, and BD alerted me and blocked the trojan.

I wonder if this is the normal case with an AV, and other anti-malware applications.

I am pleased to know that SAS was able to detect the trojan.

Best,

Jerry

Jerry - it all depends on the technology used, and where they are installed in the "chain". For instance, our new technology for the next version of SAS will probably detect many of these items before the AV would. Anything executed through the Explorer Shell is caught usually by SAS before other applications catch it.

-Nick

Nick,

Thanks, that is interesting. I had previously thought of anti-spyware applications in a different light, more like AdAware or Spybot but active.

It is obvious that the AS applications are doing much more than that, and are becoming closer to an AV.

That is a good move.

Sorry for not signing in. When I link to a site I forget. I sometimes think I am not dumb, but double dumb. :lol:

Best,

Jerry

Nick,

Thanks, that is interesting. I had previously thought of anti-spyware applications in a different light, more like AdAware or Spybot but active.

It is obvious that the AS applications are doing much more than that, and are becoming closer to an AV.

That is a good move.

Sorry for not signing in. When I link to a site I forget. I sometimes think I am not dumb, but double dumb. :lol:

Best,

Jerry

AdAware and SpyBot are showing their age, meaning they have not yet stepped up to the latest in kernel technology, that is why they often miss items as the infections today are much more integrated into the system. I am sure they will updgrade their technologies, they will have to in order to be able to compete in the future.

AV and AS are converging in a way, and in other ways they each have different ways of prevention and detection.

-Nick