Dave Dybas

Win XP .exe files not functional

I scanned my PC for the first time with SUPERAntiSpyware and found 1288 items, mostly cookies, identified as spyware.

There was (1) Trojan.Agent/gen-Nullo (short) C:\systemvolumeInformation\Restore........etc, etc

There was also: System.BrokenFileAssociation

HKCR\.exe

All items were Quarantined.

Now the PC will not run any " .exe " file and asks for the file that created it to run it.

The SUPERAntiSPYware won't run and won't allow me to restore the PC back to it's pre-scan condition.

I've got a dead PC....anyone have a solution?

Dave

Welcome to the SAS forum.

Run this SAS .exe fix: https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SAS_FixEXEfile.com

Now make sure SAS is fully updated and run a scan again. If at that time HKCR\.exe is detected, then Trust/Allow it.

I have had the same problem occur. A number of my programs will not open/run. A window opens asking for the file to run it. I have no network connection, my antivirus program was also impacted the same way. Before I installed the Superantispyware program, i kept getting a Windows Security message that my windows security was turned off. Turns out it was a Trojan Fake Alert (don't have the exact name just right now) and it was isolated and deleted by Malwarebytes Antimalware. Since Super Antispyware was a more complete program I decided to give it a try to see if there was any other spyware on the system. Ran the program and then this all happened. Please provide any help you can provide or let me know what additional info you may need to resolve this issue. I am running XP Home SP3 and can get to the desktop.

Thanks, Tony