squeekers

PUP.startnow toolbar

Hi everyone, I'm new here. When I run superantispyware PUP.startnow toolbar keeps coming up as a threat. I don't know how to get rid of it. After running the scan I check the threats and click remove like I usually do but after I reboot and scan again it's still there.I've run the scan a couple of times and rebooted my computer but even now while I'm running a scan I have 87 threats! I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

So is the toolbar gone now?

If not, you should be able to disable it by going into Internet Explorer's Tools-->Manage Add Ons (or "Toolbars") depending on the version of IE.

If that doesn't work for some reason, please post your latest SAS scan log for review.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. When I run superantispyware PUP.startnow toolbar keeps coming up as a threat. I don't know how to get rid of it. After running the scan I check the threats and click remove like I usually do but after I reboot and scan again it's still there.I've run the scan a couple of times and rebooted my computer but even now while I'm running a scan I have 87 threats! I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Please post your latest scan log here for review.

I also had that Pup.StartNow Toolbar CONSTANTLY come up on my SuperAntispyware and although SuperAntiSpyware supposedly deleted it, it came back.

I got rid of Pup StartNow Toolbar by running Malwarebytes Anti-malware. It was free.

Then I ran CCcleaner (Free) and restarted my computer and ran SuperAntispyware again and this time NO Pup.StartNow Toolbar came up.

So is the toolbar gone now?

If not, you should be able to disable it by going into Internet Explorer's Tools-->Manage Add Ons (or "Toolbars") depending on the version of IE.

If that doesn't work for some reason, please post your latest SAS scan log for review.

I had the same issue as the person above. Pup Startnow toolbar was never on Internet Tools Manage or any other place you can add/delete a toolbar. I looked everywhere.

I also had that Pup.StartNow Toolbar CONSTANTLY come up on my SuperAntispyware and although SuperAntiSpyware supposedly deleted it, it came back.

I got rid of Pup StartNow Toolbar by running Malwarebytes Anti-malware. It was free.

Then I ran CCcleaner (Free) and restarted my computer and ran SuperAntispyware again and this time NO Pup.StartNow Toolbar came up.

could be just that SAS was not detecting all of the files necessary to fully remove the infection from your computers, you most likely had some sort of trojan that was not being removed that was part of the toolbar, and the infected file you were moving was just a file the actual trojan was downloading(and re-downloading) to your pc each time you removed it. Sounds like mbam was able to remove the necessary file(s) for future reference I would not use Ccleaner right away after cleaning an infection, I would first scan with SAS after mbam, then if you know what you are doing use Hijack This to check for any malciously edited registry entries/values, BHO's, etc and use it to fix/remove them, this ensures the BHO that was added in this case is COMPLETELY gone, and any other suspicious things you see, then you can use CCleaner to clean up your pc.

SAS found 74 Pup Toolbar Items for me.

I could not find Pup on Add/Remove Programs in Windows or CrapCleaner.

Nor could I find anything about it in IE/Tools/Manage Ad-Ons.

SAS marked it as a yellow threat that should be removed, but for some reason, left the checkbox unchecked and requiring manual checking.

I'll see if it comes back with another scan later.

EDIT: PS: Why is this in the Off-Topic forum. Isn't malware on topic in these forums?

Edited by Tom Brooks

You may have an flash cookie which is not the same as a normal cookie as most spyware apps do not detect it. There is a program "Flash cookie cleaner" which can be found maybe on cnet.co.uk that finds and deletes these type of cookies.

The problem with these type of cookies is they can reproduce themselves if their normal cookie is deleted.