steveow

Updated SAS not the same look

Hey guys. I have a PC, windows Pro, SAS, Spywareblaster, Avira, Malwarebytes, TFC, Comodo 2 way firewall and sandbox.

I have the SAS Free Edition that I update every few days, but Sunday night when I updated it had a new look, which I didn't think was odd.

Anyway, I did the quick scan and it only lasts 25-37 seconds verses the previous quick scans of registry, memory and files that normally takes 5 or so minutes. 25+ seconds Is this right?

Now some history that may or may not mean anything: About 3 weeks ago I visited and added to favorites a new surf, weather, tides, water temps etc (Solspot.com) that gives us surfers more options to check out the surf report. I know some names on there so I assume it's completely legitimate, however, as soon as I ran SAS it found the websites spyware. SAS cleaned it and I went back to the website and sure enough SAS found it again, so I removed it from my PC and haven't gone back since and I have ran SAS scans pushing 20 times since. Now fast forward to 2 days ago when I updated SAS to the new look. I ran the scan and it found that surf forcast's spyware again. 3 weeks later? Seems a bit odd.

What do you make of this?

thanks, stevo

The update was the new Version 5. Among numerous other changes, the scanning time has been significantly reduced.

Please post your latest SAS scan log for review.

The update was the new Version 5. Among numerous other changes, the scanning time has been significantly reduced.

Please post your latest SAS scan log for review.

First I was on Techspot and one moderator told me to come here, but after I posted this question here on SAS another moderator on Techspot who helped me with a Rootkit infection last year responded asking for logs etc. Turns out it was only adware tracking cookie and nothing to worry about. After a rootkit infection I'm taking no chances as I had to erase my entire hard drive.

Anyway, I appreciate your reply and how cool to now have SAS scans so quick. Your product has been so awesome ever since I was introduced to it 2 yrs ago.

thanks, stevo

First I was on Techspot and one moderator told me to come here, but after I posted this question here on SAS another moderator on Techspot who helped me with a Rootkit infection last year responded asking for logs etc. Turns out it was only adware tracking cookie and nothing to worry about. After a rootkit infection I'm taking no chances as I had to erase my entire hard drive.

Anyway, I appreciate your reply and how cool to now have SAS scans so quick. Your product has been so awesome ever since I was introduced to it 2 yrs ago.

thanks, stevo

Great! Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Well now I do have another question.

Not sure why the new and improved SAS scans went from 25 seconds and have consistantly gone up to 7+ minutes 1 hour ago to just now taking just over 5 minutes, which is no different from the old scan times.

I haven't added any programs either.

Why such eratic scan times?

Well now I do have another question.

Not sure why the new and improved SAS scans went from 25 seconds and have consistantly gone up to 7+ minutes 1 hour ago to just now taking just over 5 minutes, which is no different from the old scan times.

I haven't added any programs either.

Why such eratic scan times?

Version 5 uses multiple threads; it's more likely to have varying scan times. Also, we are now able to fine-tune the Quick Scan and Critical Point Scan modes with each definition update. It's possible that you have a large number of files that were previously not scanned during a Quick Scan or Critical Point Scan.