miki

tracking cookies- had this been answered?

i know it has been addressed a couple of times, but i dont know if it has ever been answered.

sas always use to find a handful of tracking cookies everytime i scanned, but lately the scan comes up clean in both the quick and complete scans. my web browsing has not changed and know for a fact my local news website used to have tracking cookies that would be found by sas. i believe this started after the update before v5. i was hoping when i updated to v5 it would fix itself but it didnt. and i know im not the only one who is experiencing this as i have read comments regarding this issue with other members. fyi the box for "scan for tracking cookies" is indeed checked in my preferences.

thanks for any help!

No the problem remains I'm afraid.

In my case I was using the V5 beta orignally.

Looking back at my logs:

On 10th July v5.0.1096 discovered and removed 87 tracking cookies.

Since then weekly scans using V5.0.1102, V5.0.1104 and V5.0.1108 have all been clean.

I've also done a clean install of V5.0.1108 for other reasons, but the issue remains.

The tracking cookies are certainly present in Firefox, I can list and remove them from within the browser, but not 'seen' by SAS.

This issue should be resolved with the latest definition release. Let us know if the problem persists.

This issue should be resolved with the latest definition release. Let us know if the problem persists.

Many thanks, seems to be working perfectly now !

SAS Free is still not finding tracking cookies properly for me. I have the latest version (5.0.1116) and definition updates.

A Quick Scan found 0 tracking cookies. A Full Scan run immediately after found 2 tracking cookies. Another program then found 168 cookies. Not sure about whether all of those would be considered tracking cookies but I do know SAS Free used to find quite a lot of tracking cookies and going back about 7 months it stopped. And version 5 also does not find them. I'd really like to know why.

yeah i updated to 5.0.1116 and still nothing... also, what is the normal time range for a completed scan? while time has been significantly reduced, i have been reading other ppls scan times and think mine is a little lagging... quick scan at most is 4:30 but usually 3:something. complete scan however is over an hour long. is there something wrong?

I just downloaded new definitions, updated to 5.0.1116 and rebooted. Still no tracking cookies and I do have the preference turned on.

yeah i updated to 5.0.1116 and still nothing... also, what is the normal time range for a completed scan? while time has been significantly reduced, i have been reading other ppls scan times and think mine is a little lagging... quick scan at most is 4:30 but usually 3:something. complete scan however is over an hour long. is there something wrong?

Sorry we're having the same problem but glad it is not just me. There is a problem with the program. And for me it has been going on for seven months.

As for scan time my most recent Quick Scan took 2 min 20 sec. If I run it again right away it will take less time (1 min 36 sec.). How often do you run a Quick Scan? Try running a few in a row and see how short a time you can get.

The Full Scan I ran earlier today took less than an hour, maybe 50 minutes or so. And this is even after it hangs at two large files that take almost 16 minutes to get through. If it wasn't for those it would be done in 30 minutes or so. Not sure how much you have on the computer but obviously the more files, the longer the Full Scan will take.

The Full Scan I ran earlier today took less than an hour, maybe 50 minutes or so. And this is even after it hangs at two large files that take almost 16 minutes to get through. If it wasn't for those it would be done in 30 minutes or so. Not sure how much you have on the computer but obviously the more files, the longer the Full Scan will take.

yeah my dumbass forgot to account for that, tho i dont think i have that much stuff on my comp... anyways i hope this gets resolved esp with all the posts about sas having a trojan within it being found by other programs. i scan with malwarebytes, mse, and norton besides sas and they came up with nothing. hopefully it really is a false positive like they say for all our sakes...

also i realized that there is kind of a pattern within all the sas users- ppl who have one sort of problem dont seem to have the other problems, like its one or the other but not all the problems together as if only parts of sas is faulty depending on the user. i for one have not had any problems that other ppl are facing (fingers crossed in keeping it that way) but my paranoia is getting the best of me and i keep thinking what if sas is letting stuff go or not catching it. i mean if simple tracking cookies arent being found, who knows what else isnt being picked up? if it werent for the other programs i have saying im clean, id be all on here with conspiracy theories lol. jk. - i could be totally wrong about it all.

love ya sas and everyone who works so hard to keep it running!

i scan with malwarebytes, mse, and norton besides sas and they came up with nothing. hopefully it really is a false positive like they say for all our sakes...

Just make sure you're not running more than one realtime AV. MSE is real time so hopefully when you mention Norton you mean an on demand scan.

I use MSE for realtime. For on demand I use MBAM and SAS. Also SpywareBlaster. With the problems I have been having with SAS I rely on it the least.

As far as we have been able to test, our cookie detection is working how it should. We did recently fix a problem with FireFox and Chrome cookies, but Internet Explorer cookie detection hasn't changed. A Complete Scan may detect cookies from other users on the system, whereas a Quick Scan may not. This could explain the differences between the two scan modes.

I'm still not sure it is working correct for me. Is there any way to be sure? I can run another program and it will find >100 cookies after SAS found 0.

I'm still not sure it is working correct for me. Is there any way to be sure? I can run another program and it will find >100 cookies after SAS found 0.

The only way I could tell for sure that something isn't working correctly for you is if you listed the browser and cookies that were found by your other scanner. It's possible we don't have those sites in our database or you are using a browser that isn't supported. What is the database version listed on the SUPERAntiSpyware main window?

The only way I could tell for sure that something isn't working correctly for you is if you listed the browser and cookies that were found by your other scanner. It's possible we don't have those sites in our database or you are using a browser that isn't supported. What is the database version listed on the SUPERAntiSpyware main window?

I just updated, database version 7567. I use IE8 so nothing special there.

I specifically have gone to sites that SAS previously found cookies from and now it doesn't find them.

I just updated, database version 7567. I use IE8 so nothing special there.

I specifically have gone to sites that SAS previously found cookies from and now it doesn't find them.

Next time you get detection in another scanner, see if you can post the log here so we can confirm if it's an item that we should be detecting. Thanks!

Well here's one that SAS previously had found. The SAS log from February shows it. SAS did not find it today in either quick or full scan.

I can email you SAS logs that show cookies found from sites I still go to that SAS now does not find.

post-12397-0-04618200-1313463835_thumb.jpg

post-12397-0-89821400-1313464272_thumb.jpg

Next time you get detection in another scanner, see if you can post the log here so we can confirm if it's an item that we should be detecting. Thanks!

Perhaps it has something to do with Microsoft's last IE update and how IE handles and displays cookies? It might just warrant someone looking into this.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS11-057.mspx

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26188719-Help-My-Cookies-are-random-letters-numbers.

Just checking in again. Despite what Microsoft might have done to IE, I just ran a full scan, database 7573, found 0 tracking cookies. Immediately ran a Norton Full Scan, found and resolved 22 tracking cookies. I am running:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, SP2

Internet Explorer 8

SAS version 5.0.1116

and I would say SAS has a software problem.

I have always considered SAS to be the more comprehensive spyware checker. Now I am concerned if this new release is missing things other than tracking cookies.

I have attached the log from the Norton scan.norton tracking cookies.txt

Just checking in again. Despite what Microsoft might have done to IE, I just ran a full scan, database 7573, found 0 tracking cookies. Immediately ran a Norton Full Scan, found and resolved 22 tracking cookies. I am running:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, SP2

Internet Explorer 8

SAS version 5.0.1116

and I would say SAS has a software problem.

I have always considered SAS to be the more comprehensive spyware checker. Now I am concerned if this new release is missing things other than tracking cookies.

I have attached the log from the Norton scan.norton tracking cookies.txt

DELETE your cookies & be done with it ! Why rely on any scanner to detect cookies ?

DELETE your cookies & be done with it ! Why rely on any scanner to detect cookies ?

My concern is despite the fact that the programmers say SAS should find Tracking Cookies it is not, for me and others. It USED to find tracking cookies and suddenly it stopped. What else is wrong with the program?

Just checking in again. Despite what Microsoft might have done to IE, I just ran a full scan, database 7573, found 0 tracking cookies. Immediately ran a Norton Full Scan, found and resolved 22 tracking cookies.

Thank you for sharing your results from Norton; just glancing at the log I could see that SUPERAntiSpyware should be detecting at least some of those. We may need to gather some diagnostic data from systems that are failing to detect cookies to help track the problem down.

Cookie detection in SUPERAntiSpyware is a completely independent subsystem to the rest of the scanner - because it's such a special case scenario with each different browser and cookie database. If the cookie detection isn't working correctly for you, it won't have any impact on the detection of malicious software.

Because that deletes all of my cookies, including my logins. The scan only deletes adware tracking cookies.

Thank you for sharing your results from Norton; just glancing at the log I could see that SUPERAntiSpyware should be detecting at least some of those. We may need to gather some diagnostic data from systems that are failing to detect cookies to help track the problem down.

Cookie detection in SUPERAntiSpyware is a completely independent subsystem to the rest of the scanner - because it's such a special case scenario with each different browser and cookie database. If the cookie detection isn't working correctly for you, it won't have any impact on the detection of malicious software.

Thank you for that reassuring detection information.

Please count me in for when you gather data as I know the program is not finding my tracking cookies.