silkphoenix

Scheduled Scanning

Well, I just can't win, problems seem come up every time SAS has a new version. When is it going to end?

Hi Silkphoenix,

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Thanks for the info; I'm posting this with Firefox v5.0.1. I normally only use it for financial transactions. Jus' wanted you to know that it works.

You make fine points about XP. I have many old 16-bit programs; some of them work and some don't. Kind of makes me wonder if installing DOS 6.22 would make them work??

I believe FF V5.0.1 will open if you are still using SAS V 5.0.1108. But I doubt it will if you upgraded to V 5.0.1116. That's what happened to me. Now my FF V5.0.1 opens normally and no problem whatsoever. I just want to specify how did I know SAS changed Windows Registry Settings with V5.0.1116. When I uninstall it, my AD-Aware AD-WATCH program notified me that "sasuninst.exe" is trying to change my Windows Registry and asked me if I want to allow it or block it. I clicked ALLOW and SAS was uninstalled successfully.

Again, that's what happened to me, may not happen to other users.

I believe FF V5.0.1 will open if you are still using SAS V 5.0.1108. But I doubt it will if you upgraded to V 5.0.1116. That's what happened to me. Now my FF V5.0.1 opens normally and no problem whatsoever. I just want to specify how did I know SAS changed Windows Registry Settings with V5.0.1116. When I uninstall it, my AD-Aware AD-WATCH program notified me that "sasuninst.exe" is trying to change my Windows Registry and asked me if I want to allow it or block it. I clicked ALLOW and SAS was uninstalled successfully.

Again, that's what happened to me, may not happen to other users.

I upgraded to v1116 last night to solve the 'missing bitmap' problem. I see that you have the 'Time Warp' too; your post indicates 1:39pm.

I upgraded to v1116 last night to solve the 'missing bitmap' problem. I see that you have the 'Time Warp' too; your post indicates 1:39pm.

There's must be something different in our PC's settings. Oh, well, I give up! By the way, it showed your post was posted at 7:56am.

There's must be something different in our PC's settings. Oh, well, I give up! By the way, it showed your post was posted at 7:56am.

I've given up on the 'Time Warp'. I posted it here in the OT area and on a PC forum with no responses in either.

I have just uninstall V5.0.1116 because somehow this version changed the Windows Security Registry settings of my laptop and prohibited my Firefox V5.0.1 from opening, at least in my case! So be aware if you are using Firefox 5.0.1 (I am not sure about other versions), once you upgrade to V 5.0.1116, it MIGHT NOT START! I have spent practically almost three hours trying to figure out why, and eventually found out SAS changed the Security Registry settings of my laptop. And SAS WILL NOT UNINSTALL even I used the ADD/REMOVE program of XP, I have to use SAS's own uninstall program (SASUNINST.EXE) to uninstall it, which also delete all the Security Registry settings it had changed. I reboot my laptop and reinstall V5.0.1108, now my Firefox V 5.0.1 can start normally again!

So for you SAS Admin here, please notify SAS about this serious problem. It has wasted me a lot of time. Again, I don't know if that's a common issue or just on my laptop. Please reply to my post and let me know if it's SAS problem or my laptop, which I seriously doubt it's my laptop, since the problem happened right after I upgraded to V 5.0.1116.

Well, I just can't win, problems seem come up every time SAS has a new version. When is it going to end?

When you fix your computer XP :rolleyes:

I'm running XP with FF5 and SAS V5.0.1116 and there is no issue with TS or FF.

You said that TS wasn't working due to a problem with XP, and now FF won't open. You've spent countless hours trying to fix TS, yet you won't run a simple XP repair install even though you know how to do so.

When you fix your computer XP :rolleyes:

I'm running XP with FF5 and SAS V5.0.1116 and there is no issue with TS or FF.

You said that TS wasn't working due to a problem with XP, and now FF won't open. You've spent countless hours trying to fix TS, yet you won't run a simple XP repair install even though you know how to do so.

TS has been fixed, so no need to run a XP repair.

FF won't open right after I upgraded to V5.0.1116 because it changed my Windows Security Registry Settings (see my last post) which prohibited it from opening. Once I downgraded to V5.0.1108, my FF V5 opened! So obviously, it's SAS problem, not my PC! Your FF run is probably because we have different PC settings. Did you read my post about Ad-Aware notification when I uninstall V5.0.1116?

TS has been fixed, so no need to run a XP repair.

FF won't open right after I upgraded to V5.0.1116 because it changed my Windows Security Registry Settings (see my last post) which prohibited it from opening. Once I downgraded to V5.0.1108, my FF V5 opened! So obviously, it's SAS problem, not my PC! Your FF run is probably because we have different PC settings. Did you read my post about Ad-Aware notification when I uninstall V5.0.1116?

Yes, but how did derive "Security Registry Settings" out of that?

Did Ad-Aware give you the option to view the requested registry change(s)?

Security settings have no relation to FF opening or not.

Yes, but how did derive "Security Registry Settings" out of that?

Did Ad-Aware give you the option to view the requested registry change(s)?

Security settings have no relation to FF opening or not.

No, Ad-Aware didn't offer me the option to look at the Registries. It just said "sasuninst.exe" is trying to change my Windows Security Registry and asked me if I want to allow or block it. I clicked ALLOW.

I do believe security settings have relation to FF open or not, it could block a program from opening, that's what "Security" mean.

I have made jpgs of the Security Registries for V5.0.1108. I'll upgrade to V5.0.1116 again and if FF still won't open, I'll make jpgs and compare with the old ones to see if changes were made.

No, Ad-Aware didn't offer me the option to look at the Registries. It just said "sasuninst.exe" is trying to change my Windows Security Registry and asked me if I want to allow or block it. I clicked ALLOW.

I do believe security settings have relation to FF open or not, it could block a program from opening, that's what "Security" mean.

I have made jpgs of the Security Registries for V5.0.1108. I'll upgrade to V5.0.1116 again and if FF still won't open, I'll make jpgs and compare with the old ones to see if changes were made.

Not to derail this thread further, but if you could get any more information about what registry settings are preventing your FireFox installation to stop working correctly after upgrading to 5.0.1116, I would be very interested. SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 doesn't do much of anything to the registry; in fact we've revamped many systems that relied on the registry in 4.x to not use it any longer because of all the potential problems with UAC, group policy, user permissions, etc.

Not to derail this thread further, but if you could get any more information about what registry settings are preventing your FireFox installation to stop working correctly after upgrading to 5.0.1116, I would be very interested. SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 doesn't do much of anything to the registry; in fact we've revamped many systems that relied on the registry in 4.x to not use it any longer because of all the potential problems with UAC, group policy, user permissions, etc.

OK, Thank you. I'll post my status after I upgraded it to 5.0.1116.

While I do believe in UFOs and Aliens, this seems more like an "X-File" to me. I just upgraded to V5.0.1116 and rebooted my system. Firefox V5.0.1 opened normally without any problems. I checked the Windows Security and SAS Registry Settings and they were identical to those when I had V5.0.0018 installed. So don't ask me why and how, it seems everything is back to normal again. Maybe I was abducted by an alien last night and they put all those problems in my head, which is all but a dream.

While I do believe in UFOs and Aliens, this seems more like an "X-File" to me. I just upgraded to V5.0.1116 and rebooted my system. Firefox V5.0.1 opened normally without any problems. I checked the Windows Security and SAS Registry Settings and they were identical to those when I had V5.0.0018 installed. So don't ask me why and how, it seems everything is back to normal again. Maybe I was abducted by an alien last night and they put all those problems in my head, which is all but a dream.

I want to believe. Let us know if you get any more unusual behavior! :)

SilkPhoenix: Did going to V5.0.116 solve the TS problem?

Gene, My TS problem was solved before I upgraded to V5.0.1116(by using the procedures I posted earlier.) So I couldn't tell you if V5.0.1116 will solve your TS problem or not. The only thing I can suggest if for you to upgrade to that and see what happens. Sorry.

Version 5.0.1118 is available now on both the update servers and the downloadable installer.

For those of you having issues with the Windows Task Scheduler, update to 5.0.1118. Next, edit the scheduled scanning item(s) in SUPERAntiSpyware and ensure that the following option is enabled: "Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start was missed". SUPERAntiSpyware will check a couple minutes after the scan should have started. If it did not, then SUPERAntiSpyware will start it.

The same limitations of the 4.x scheduler exist though - SUPERAntiSpyware must be running, the window must be closed and the computer cannot be powered off or in sleep mode. If your computer is in sleep mode and a scheduled scan is missed, SUPERAntiSpyware will start the scan after the system wakes. If SUPERAntiSpyware is closed or the system is powered off when a scheduled scan would have happened, you will get a notification window the next time you start SUPERAntiSpyware with the option to start the scan.

Let us know your results!

It's not a perfect solution (it doesn't start scanning automatically, but instead pops up a window to click on to start a scan; and while it's scanning one cannot access preferences and the like), but it works, and for that thanks.

Correction ... as long as the computer is on SAS will start scanning without a popup window ...

Correction ... as long as the computer is on SAS will start scanning without a popup window ...

Great! We were unable to reproduce the exact circumstance you were encountering so I'm glad to hear it's working as it should.

Some time ago you stated:

"Hang in there, we're currently testing a work-around that could resolve this for you. It's still using the updated scheduling interface, but doesn't require the Windows Task Scheduler be functional."

Has this been released?

Some time ago you stated:

"Hang in there, we're currently testing a work-around that could resolve this for you. It's still using the updated scheduling interface, but doesn't require the Windows Task Scheduler be functional."

Has this been released?

R Cooper,

The latest version is 5.0.1118. Please go to Page 6 and read SAS-Dave and Gene's posts dated August 17.