silkphoenix

Scheduled Scanning

Thank you, but already did all those and didn't solve the problem. I basically have tried ALL the solutions that were suggested and none of them solve the TS problem. I did CHKDSK, SYSTEM RESTORE, create NEW USER ACCOUNT, no good.

As a test, have you tried disabling your real time security? If you do temporarily disable all internet security, disable TS first, then enable it after the security is disabled.

Other than that, I would run a repair install of XP. It's easy to do even if you don't have an XP cd. Let me know if you decide to go this route and need assistance with it.

As a test, have you tried disabling your real time security? If you do temporarily disable all internet security, disable TS first, then enable it after the security is disabled.

Other than that, I would run a repair install of XP. It's easy to do even if you don't have an XP cd. Let me know if you decide to go this route and need assistance with it.

Thank you. I have already tried disabling all of my real time security and still get the error message when trying to add a new schedule in TS.

I do know how to do repair install of XP but that will be my last resource, since it'll take quite a bit of time to do so (installing all the Windows Updates, etc.).

The only thing I'm not sure about, is if enough of XP will be replaced to fix the issue.

The only thing I'm not sure about, is if enough of XP will be replaced to fix the issue.

I know this out of the topic. But I am really surprised that MS does not have a solution to solve the TS problems (Error Code- 0x8007007a) since there are many XP users have that problem. MS has all kinds of solutions for other programs but TS is about the only one seems can never be fixed.

It's a long shot, but you could try a sfc /scannow before resorting to the repair install.

It's a long shot, but you could try a sfc /scannow before resorting to the repair install.

I ran a programs called "MicrosoftFixit.WinFileFolder.Run". Do you know if that perform the same function? Anyway, since I have spent so many months trying to fix TS with no result, I basically gave it up sometime ago. But thank you for your advice though.

I ran a programs called "MicrosoftFixit.WinFileFolder.Run". Do you know if that perform the same function?

Sfc /scannow is much more thorough. To the point of requesting the XP cd to replace missing or corrupt files.

Wow.

What a lot of talk and trouble. It's not even worth $29 or whatever I paid for a lifetime subscription to SAS a couple years ago to pursue a fix for this issue that should never have been an issue.

I'll keep using ver 4 until it craps out. Then I'll find a better, more stable, reliable application that fits my basic needs.

Too bad. Very sad to see one of my favorite products fail this way.

Unsubscribing to thread now...

What a lot of talk and trouble. It's not even worth $29 or whatever I paid for a lifetime subscription to SAS a couple years ago to pursue a fix for this issue that should never have been an issue.

Too bad. Very sad to see one of my favorite products fail this way.

Give us time to process the feedback we're getting from the 5.0; not every new feature will work for everyone, but we can often find solutions. There will likely be a fix for these Windows Task Scheduler issues soon. We'll post on this topic when we have something for you.

I just got a response on my support ticket thread saying in effect that SAS understood the issue was out there but didn't care because of the cost savings of using MS Task Scheduler rather than write its own or just giving users the option of using Task Scheduler or whatever it was SAS did with V4. I've asked SAS for my license fee back ... and will be switching to the paid version of MalwareBytes. I don't know any other way to get SAS's attention. They are dug in on this issue.

I just got a response on my support ticket thread saying in effect that SAS understood the issue was out there but didn't care because of the cost savings of using MS Task Scheduler rather than write its own or just giving users the option of using Task Scheduler or whatever it was SAS did with V4. I've asked SAS for my license fee back ... and will be switching to the paid version of MalwareBytes. I don't know any other way to get SAS's attention. They are dug in on this issue.

I'm not sure why anyone would say that we don't care, was that your paraphrase? I'll make sure that our customer support reps know we're working on the issue. We pride ourselves on being able to develop features and fixes in response to customer feedback, but it's not always possible for it to happen overnight. We're not "dug in" on this or any other issue, quite the opposite in fact. I've personally been investigating solutions to this in direct response to your concerns.

Edit: I looked up your support ticket and responded to you. Nobody ever said they didn't care. Nobody ever said using the MS Task Scheduler was because of cost savings. We are trying to help here, please keep your posts constructive and truthful.

While I'm waiting for some help regarding my non-functional (complete scan wise Version 5) I went back to version 4. Works like a charm I trust you will allow those of us who paid to use it instead so that we at least can have a working program until tech staff offer up a solution. I did receive a response to my support ticket. I am awaiting another reply.

Dave ... (1) SAS has clearly stated that it decided to use MS Task Scheduler in V5 rather than go through the effort and cost of developing its own scheduler. It's in my support ticket thread and in this Forum topic thread. (2) Also, in both threads, SAS has said that it has no responsibility to fix the issue based on its belief that the problem is with MS Task Scheduler (just as it would have no responsibility to fix a print spooling issue). I don't know how SAS could express more clearly that it considers the scheduling issue to be a problem that SAS is not going to deal with and is going to leave customers on their own with. I paid for a lifetime license that I thought would include functioning upgraded versions of SAS. I would like my license fee back.

Dave ... (1) SAS has clearly stated that it decided to use MS Task Scheduler in V5 rather than go through the effort and cost of developing its own scheduler. It's in my support ticket thread and in this Forum topic thread. (2) Also, in both threads, SAS has said that it has no responsibility to fix the issue based on its belief that the problem is with MS Task Scheduler (just as it would have no responsibility to fix a print spooling issue). I don't know how SAS could express more clearly that it considers the scheduling issue to be a problem that SAS is not going to deal with and is going to leave customers on their own with. I paid for a lifetime license that I thought would include functioning upgraded versions of SAS. I would like my license fee back.

It's clearly NOT SAS's responsibility to fix your old, broken PC; it's YOUR responsibility! If you don't have the 'know how' to fix it and you're not willing to get on a PC forum to learn how, then BUY A NEW PC!! And if you're not even willing to do that, then get your $ back and BEGONE!!!

It's clearly NOT SAS's responsibility to fix your old, broken PC; it's YOUR responsibility! If you don't have the 'know how' to fix it and you're not willing to get on a PC forum to learn how, then BUY A NEW PC!! And if you're not even willing to do that, then get your $ back and BEGONE!!!

You are correct that SAS has no responsibility to fix a user's PC, however, I won't call it "old, broken". Maybe you think so because we are using Windows XP, you think it's old, like many Vista and W7 users do. It's a user's choice, nothing to do with the PC. I could have used XP in the latest laptop model if I want to.

FYI, I have searched for the past six months to try to fix the Windows TS problem and have tried every solution I can find, still I couldn't fix it. I do not blame SAS to use Windows TS for their scheduled scanning, but at least they should also give the users of V5 an option to use their old scanning interface as well (in V4). I am willing to give SAS a chance to look into this problem, maybe they'll try to fix it. Again, I wish SAS Scheduled Scanning will stay independent of MS TS. I have used Ad-Aware, AVG, Spyware Terminator as well as Malwarebytes, all of their Scheduled Scanning are independent of MS TS and have no problems whatsoever.

Bob: I think SAS should offer you a customer service rep job ... you seem to meet their profile of how to "deal with" customers who give feedback SAS does not care to hear.

SilkPhoenix: Thank you! You said exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it better. --gene (in Phoenix)

You are correct that SAS has no responsibility to fix a user's PC, however, I won't call it "old, broken". Maybe you think so because we are using Windows XP, you think it's old, like many Vista and W7 users do. It's a user's choice, nothing to do with the PC. I could have used XP in the latest laptop model if I want to.

FYI, I have searched for the past six months to try to fix the Windows TS problem and have tried every solution I can find, still I couldn't fix it. I do not blame SAS to use Windows TS for their scheduled scanning, but at least they should also give the users of V5 an option to use their old scanning interface as well (in V4). I am willing to give SAS a chance to look into this problem, maybe they'll try to fix it. Again, I wish SAS Scheduled Scanning will stay independent of MS TS. I have used Ad-Aware, AVG, Spyware Terminator as well as Malwarebytes, all of their Scheduled Scanning are independent of MS TS and have no problems whatsoever.

I wasn't referring to you Silkphoenix.

I too have an old PC and use XP; but even MS is ending support for it. Have you reinstalled(not fixed) it? I've had to do that many times over the years. Due to the trivial nature of this problem, I reverted to v4 until I read this thread.

BTW, it would make LESS THAN no sense to put XP on a new PC!!!

FYI, I have searched for the past six months to try to fix the Windows TS problem and have tried every solution I can find, still I couldn't fix it. I do not blame SAS to use Windows TS for their scheduled scanning, but at least they should also give the users of V5 an option to use their old scanning interface as well (in V4).

Hang in there, we're currently testing a work-around that could resolve this for you. It's still using the updated scheduling interface, but doesn't require the Windows Task Scheduler be functional. This does mean that SUPERAntiSpyware has to be running - same as the 4.x scheduler. Assuming everything tests out OK, this fix will be in the next release. Our release schedule is accelerated while we get feedback from users about 5.0, so it could be as early as next week.

Hang in there, we're currently testing a work-around that could resolve this for you. It's still using the updated scheduling interface, but doesn't require the Windows Task Scheduler be functional. This does mean that SUPERAntiSpyware has to be running - same as the 4.x scheduler. Assuming everything tests out OK, this fix will be in the next release. Our release schedule is accelerated while we get feedback from users about 5.0, so it could be as early as next week.

Great news.....I will await the update

I wasn't referring to you Silkphoenix.

I too have an old PC and use XP; but even MS is ending support for it. Have you reinstalled(not fixed) it? I've had to do that many times over the years. Due to the trivial nature of this problem, I reverted to v4 until I read this thread.

BTW, it would make LESS THAN no sense to put XP on a new PC!!!

I know you did not refer to me, but I addressed your comments on "Old and broken PC".

It might not make sense to you to put XP on a new PC, but we are all different, aren't we? What fits you doesn't mean fit everyone else. I have several programs which can only run on XP, and they are very important to me. That's why I would not hesitate to put XP on a new PC if I need to. XP has been working perfectly for me for years and I am in no rush to upgrade to Vista or W7.

To all the SAS Administrators who replied to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to look into this problem and as I said, I'll wait patiently for a solution and will not give up SAS as long as V4 is still being supported.

I would like to post my latest status. I finally found a solution to the problem to solve the TS problem. Try the following procedures to see if that works for you. It does work for me and I uninstall V4 and then reinstall V5 (I do believe that you have to UNINSTALL V4 before you can install V5, otherwise V4 will remain, that's what happened to me). After you uninstall V4, do a SEARCH in your PC for SuperAntispyware and delete all the "Prefetch" files. After that, you can proceed to install V5 (it might ask you to enter your Registration key again).

After I reinstall V5, I did a trial scheduled scanning a couple minutes later, and it actually STARTED SCANNING! I couldn't believe it! Anyway, here are the procedures and I hope it'll work for you too:

1. Double click on MY COMPUTER

2. Click "Local Drive C"

3. Open WINDOWS folder

4. Look for "Tasks" folder and rename it to "Tasksxx"

5. Close the WINDOWS folder and reopen it again, Windows should automatically create a NEW "Tasks" folder

6. If it does, you can go ahead and DELETE the "Tasksxx" folder

7. Close all windows, again, RIGHT CLICK on MY COMPUTER

8. Select Manage / Services and Applications / Services

9. Right click TASK SCHEDULER and click PROPERTIES

10. In the Log On tab, be sure the "Allow services to interact with desktop" is CHECKED

11. Close Properties

12. Click RESTART the service for TASK SCHEDULER

13. Close all windows

14. Open your TS and proceed any scheduled tasks you want, you should not get any error by then.

You might want to try schedule a simple task before you actually uninstall/reinstall V4/V5 to make sure your TS works. Just because it works for me, doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.

It seems a lot of steps, but believe me, it worth the time as now I can use TS again to schedule other tasks. If you have any question, feel free to ask me. I am not an expert, but I'll try to help since the above procedures do work for me.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion ... alas, I tried it and it didn't work ... but again, thanks anyhow ... and I'm glad what you tried worked for you ...

Thanks for the suggestion ... alas, I tried it and it didn't work ... but again, thanks anyhow ... and I'm glad what you tried worked for you ...

I just got an update notification, it's V 5.0.1116, it wasn't in SuperAntispyware website yet. Maybe you can try to install that to see if it fixed the TS problem. Or you can wait until it appeared in the website and read the Release note. FYI, the version has problem with TS is 5.0.1108.

I just got an update notification, it's V 5.0.1116, it wasn't in SuperAntispyware website yet. Maybe you can try to install that to see if it fixed the TS problem. Or you can wait until it appeared in the website and read the Release note. FYI, the version has problem with TS is 5.0.1108.

I have just uninstall V5.0.1116 because somehow this version changed the Windows Security Registry settings of my laptop and prohibited my Firefox V5.0.1 from opening, at least in my case! So be aware if you are using Firefox 5.0.1 (I am not sure about other versions), once you upgrade to V 5.0.1116, it MIGHT NOT START! I have spent practically almost three hours trying to figure out why, and eventually found out SAS changed the Security Registry settings of my laptop. And SAS WILL NOT UNINSTALL even I used the ADD/REMOVE program of XP, I have to use SAS's own uninstall program (SASUNINST.EXE) to uninstall it, which also delete all the Security Registry settings it had changed. I reboot my laptop and reinstall V5.0.1108, now my Firefox V 5.0.1 can start normally again!

So for you SAS Admin here, please notify SAS about this serious problem. It has wasted me a lot of time. Again, I don't know if that's a common issue or just on my laptop. Please reply to my post and let me know if it's SAS problem or my laptop, which I seriously doubt it's my laptop, since the problem happened right after I upgraded to V 5.0.1116.

Well, I just can't win, problems seem come up every time SAS has a new version. When is it going to end?