silkphoenix

Scheduled Scanning

1. Thank you to the others for also suggesting the "user option" route. I can't wait to hear Dave's answer to that.

2. In my Task Scheduler log, here is the message given for the SAS scheduling not working: "0x8004130f: No account information could be found in the Task Scheduler security database for the task indicated." This is NOT an isolated problem. If you plug the quote into Google, it will light up as a known issue. It is so disappointing that SAS did not look at this before going to Task Scheduler to at least be able to help customers.

The 4.x scheduler was unable to wake the computer from sleep. You may be thinking of the power saving options for the screen and/or hard drive.

Yes, you are correct, I apologize for that.

2. In my Task Scheduler log, here is the message given for the SAS scheduling not working: "0x8004130f: No account information could be found in the Task Scheduler security database for the task indicated." This is NOT an isolated problem. If you plug the quote into Google, it will light up as a known issue. It is so disappointing that SAS did not look at this before going to Task Scheduler to at least be able to help customers.

Try disabling scheduled scanning from the SUPERAntiSpyware main window, then enable it again (uncheck/recheck). This will force all scheduled scan tasks to be deleted, then re-created in the Windows Task Scheduler. That error sounds like the task was corrupted or changed. We can't prevent users from making changes to the task after it has been created by SUPERAntiSpyware. In fact, we intentionally leave it alone unless the user modifies or disables the task from within SUPERAntiSpyware. This allows power users to further tweak the scheduling options beyond the functionality exposed within the schedule options in SUPERAntiSpyware.

1. I tried your suggestion. It did NOT solve the problem.

2. Just by way of info, the problem is appearing on two of my computers but not a third. They all run XP and I've never touched the Task Scheduler on any of them. Other scheduled tasks are running just fine. So, this is not a case where the user did something to the Task Scheduler.

Try disabling scheduled scanning from the SUPERAntiSpyware main window, then enable it again (uncheck/recheck). This will force all scheduled scan tasks to be deleted, then re-created in the Windows Task Scheduler. That error sounds like the task was corrupted or changed. We can't prevent users from making changes to the task after it has been created by SUPERAntiSpyware. In fact, we intentionally leave it alone unless the user modifies or disables the task from within SUPERAntiSpyware. This allows power users to further tweak the scheduling options beyond the functionality exposed within the schedule options in SUPERAntiSpyware.

As an old saying "If it's not broken, why fix it?". I still think SAS should have left the Scheduled Scanning option alone.

And the truth is that this is not only a problem with XP. My Windows 7 machine now kicks errors when I try to a complete scan. It only did this after the upgrade to 5.

As an old saying "If it's not broken, why fix it?". I still think SAS should have left the Scheduled Scanning option alone.

The scheduled scanning in 4.x didn't provide the functionality requested by a large number of users. So because it was "broken" in that regard, we "fixed" it. If everyone loved the 4.x scheduler and nobody ever complained about its limited functionality, we wouldn't have changed it.

The scheduled scanning changes in 5.0 have been welcomed by an overwhelming majority of our users. There have only been a few rare cases reported since the 5.0 release that are related to the Windows Task Scheduler. It would be unfair to our users to not provide requested features because a few systems have a corrupted Windows installation. That being said, we will definitely be monitoring this situation as well as all feedback from the 5.0 release and resolve issues that are systemic or widespread.

And the truth is that this is not only a problem with XP. My Windows 7 machine now kicks errors when I try to a complete scan. It only did this after the upgrade to 5.

If it's only a complete scan, it may not be related to the Task Scheduler; Have you tried to disable scheduled scanning through SUPERAntiSpyware and re-enable it? This will re-create the task and may resolve the problem. What are the errors you are seeing?

Dave, would you please quantify what you mean by the "overwhelming" support you have gotten for the schedule scan changes. Do you have any real numbers or statistics to support your statement? No one knows that the schedule scan doesn't work until they check their scan logs. I thought it was great until I did. I'll go out on the limb to tell you that, as more people check their scan logs, you will continue to hear more reports of problems. BTW, SAS is the only scanning service, free or paid, that has this problem. I think you might see that moving to V5 is going to cause an erosion in your customer base.

...No one knows that the schedule scan doesn't work until they check their scan logs. I thought it was great until I did. I'll go out on the limb to tell you that, as more people check their scan logs, you will continue to hear more reports of problems. BTW, SAS is the only scanning service, free or paid, that has this problem. I think you might see that moving to V5 is going to cause an erosion in your customer base.

I agree.

Certainly for me, if this issue is not fixed, and if/when definition updates no longer work for version 4, I'll be forced to leave my paid lifetime subscription to SAS behind. That's not fair to me, and not fair to the reputation that SAS had developed. Please don't drop the ball on this.

Wayne ... I totally agree with you ... I fear SAS has dug on this and just doesn't get it and has no clue as to the number of users affected by their decision to go cheap by hooking into MS Task Scheduler and to go even cheaper into not giving users an option ... it doesn't take much for an IT service like SAS to get a reputation for being not smart and insensitive to their customers, but I fear SAS is on that path ...

If it's only a complete scan, it may not be related to the Task Scheduler; Have you tried to disable scheduled scanning through SUPERAntiSpyware and re-enable it? This will re-create the task and may resolve the problem. What are the errors you are seeing?

The error box pops up through SAS and asks me to enter my email address. I did, in hopes that someone might respond.

I also did a customer support request at 7:16:14 PM PDT on August 9, 2011. The page asked me to "Please allow up to 24 hours for our team to reply to your message." I hoping maybe 48 hours might do the trick- no response yet.

I bought this program for myself and two other people. It was stellar so I spread the wealth. Now I'm hoping the people I spread it to will continue to like it. I pray they don't experience the problems many now do with Version 5.

Not trying to be testy. Just would appreciate someone specifically troubleshooting the issue with me.

1. I have had a similar experience under my support ticket. They have taken 48 hours to respond each time and the only two suggestions are to reinstall and the uncheck thing Dave keeps suggesting, neither of which work.

2. I too recommended SAS to quite a few people after my tech support person recommended it to me. No one realizes they have the problem until they look at the scan log. I alerted them to the potential problem and a great percentage of them have it.

3. The sad conclusion is that SAS is not taking this problem seriously and the even sadder conclusion is that it will not explain why it won't make the Task Scheduler an optional approach to scheduled scanning for those who want the extra features and for whom it works, and allow V5 schedule scanning just as it was allowed in V4 (which I've now reverted to) for those who don't need the extra TS features or for whom the scheduled scanning won't work.

4. Dave, the uncheck/check you keep suggesting does not solve the problem. Please stop suggesting it.

The error box pops up through SAS and asks me to enter my email address.

That would point to a problem you're having inside SUPERAntiSpyware, not related to the Windows Task Scheduler. Sounds like your Windows Task Scheduler is working normally. I'm sure a customer service rep will respond to your request as soon as they can. There is always a high load of support requests after a version release, especially one with an updated interface. Everyone is working hard to help customers as fast as we can.

On my XP Home SP3 system (no user password), SAS's scheduled tasks run fine. As a test though, I closed SAS and manually scheduled SUPERANTISPYWARE to run. I didn't enter a password when requested, got the typical 0x80070005 error, and the task failed to start.

I added a user password, repeated the above (with the password), and SAS started. I then removed the account password, scheduled RUNSAS, and it failed to start.

I'll compare the properties of each task and see if I find any difference other than the password.

3. The sad conclusion is that SAS is not taking this problem seriously and the even sadder conclusion is that it will not explain why it won't make the Task Scheduler an optional approach to scheduled scanning for those who want the extra features and for whom it works, and allow V5 schedule scanning just as it was allowed in V4 (which I've now reverted to) for those who don't need the extra TS features or for whom the scheduled scanning won't work.

4. Dave, the uncheck/check you keep suggesting does not solve the problem. Please stop suggesting it.

I'm not sure why you'd think we're not taking your issue seriously. As I explained in previous posts, it was a design decision to change the scheduling to the more robust Windows Task Scheduler. It would require a great deal of development and testing to implement an alternate scheduling system that can co-exist with the current system.

The suggestion to uncheck/recheck may work in some cases. It's normal to try simple things like that while debugging a problem. It's not an extreme thing to try - like asking you to reinstall Windows (which might actually fix the problem you are having with the Windows Task Scheduler). Please keep your feedback constructive, nobody likes to have orders barked at them.

It's very early days yet, we can't know how many are affected by systems with Windows Task Scheduler problems. Please be patient while we collect user comments and feedback.

On my XP Home SP3 system (no user password), SAS's scheduled tasks run fine. As a test though, I closed SAS and manually scheduled SUPERANTISPYWARE to run. I didn't enter a password when requested, got the typical 0x80070005 error, and the task failed to start.

I added a user password, repeated the above (with the password), and SAS started. I then removed the account password, scheduled RUNSAS, and it failed to start.

I'll compare the properties of each task and see if I find any difference other than the password.

No difference other than the password.

As a test, create a password for your account, then edit the SAS tasks and add that password. Set the time for a couple of minutes in advance. If the task runs, we may be on to something even though it's just a work around. In the meantime, you can avoid the password logon with this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm

As a test, create a password for your account, then edit the SAS tasks and add that password. Set the time for a couple of minutes in advance. If the task runs, we may be on to something even though it's just a work around. In the meantime, you can avoid the password logon with this: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/autologon.htm

Thanks for the tip Seth, I'm curious to know if that works for more users.

Your suggestion is only good for those who have no problem with Windows Task Scheduler. I believe for those who cannot use the Scheduled Scanning in V5 is because they are having problems with the Windows Task Scheduler (like myself). As I have mentioned several times before, if SAS have stayed independent (like in V4 and before) and not depend on Windows Task Scheduler, no one will have any problems with SAS Scheduled Scanning. SAS should give users an option to use Windows Task Scheduler to schedule the scanning or not, instead of forcing them to do so without any other option.

Your suggestion is only good for those who have no problem with Windows Task Scheduler. I believe for those who cannot use the Scheduled Scanning in V5 is because they are having problems with the Windows Task Scheduler (like myself).

The issue with your TS may be caused by the lack of an account password. The easiest way to determine that is to try my suggestion.

If indeed your TS manager problems are due to file or registry corruption, then of course that's outside the realm of SAS support.

The issue with your TS may be caused by the lack of an account password. The easiest way to determine that is to try my suggestion.

If indeed your TS manager problems are due to file or registry corruption, then of course that's outside the realm of SAS support.

I already have a password set up for my laptop. I understand that the problems with TS is outside the realm of SAS Support. If you read my post, you'll notice that I did mention that I DO have a problem with my TS. That's why I made the comment that SAS should have their Scheduled Scanning independent of MS TS, like in V4 and before. I have tried for months trying to fix the TS problem, but unfortunately, no solution was ever found and many Windows users are stuck with the TS problem without any other recourse. If anyone can find me a solution to solve the TS problem (Error Code-0x8007007a), I'll be forever grateful.

It's amazing that, according to SAS, so many computers are out there with corrupted Task Schedulers even though at least some of them (two in my case) have never been touched in any way and continue to work in scheduling other programs and functions. One also must wonder if SAS beta tested at all their new Task Scheduler way of scheduling and found no problems with any beta tester or, if SAS did, it just chalked it up to corrupted Task Schedulers out there all over the place.

PS: Here is another suggested work around: While setting SAS to scan on startup, booting up will be slowed down. But one can delay the startup of SAS so that everything else boots, and then SAS boots up and, if set to scan on startup, should then start a scan. That said, I'm just staying with V4.56 (although one has to be careful not to download and install the program addition that installs V5).

It's amazing that, according to SAS, so many computers are out there with corrupted Task Schedulers even though at least some of them (two in my case) have never been touched in any way and continue to work in scheduling other programs and functions. One also must wonder if SAS beta tested at all their new Task Scheduler way of scheduling and found no problems with any beta tester or, if SAS did, it just chalked it up to corrupted Task Schedulers out there all over the place.

PS: Here is another suggested work around: While setting SAS to scan on startup, booting up will be slowed down. But one can delay the startup of SAS so that everything else boots, and then SAS boots up and, if set to scan on startup, should then start a scan. That said, I'm just staying with V4.56 (although one has to be careful not to download and install the program addition that installs V5).

Gene -- I have thought about the work around you suggested but decided not go to that way since that'll slow down my laptop a lot while SAS is scanning (I tried that once and found that out). That's why I always schedule the SAS scanning after midnight while I am not using my laptop.

I already have a password set up for my laptop. I understand that the problems with TS is outside the realm of SAS Support. If you read my post, you'll notice that I did mention that I DO have a problem with my TS. That's why I made the comment that SAS should have their Scheduled Scanning independent of MS TS, like in V4 and before. I have tried for months trying to fix the TS problem, but unfortunately, no solution was ever found and many Windows users are stuck with the TS problem without any other recourse. If anyone can find me a solution to solve the TS problem (Error Code-0x8007007a), I'll be forever grateful.

Try turning TS OFF for 15min.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264522

Also check Administrative Tools/Component Services to make sure there are no other instances of TS.

Hope that helps.

Try turning TS OFF for 15min.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264522

Also check Administrative Tools/Component Services to make sure there are no other instances of TS.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, but already did all those and didn't solve the problem. I basically have tried ALL the solutions that were suggested and none of them solve the TS problem. I did CHKDSK, SYSTEM RESTORE, create NEW USER ACCOUNT, no good.