silkphoenix

Scheduled Scanning

#1 is correct.

#2: The password is only valid when you manually schedule a task and include a password. With that being said, XP's TM is known to malfunction if there is no user account password. For example, have a look at this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/69675.htm

That's good information, thank you. I did have problems with the XP TM and have been trying to solve it. I wish SAS hasn't changed its scheduled scanning task to work with XP TM. It should have let it stay independent as the previous versions since Windows does have the habit of screwing things up with its Registry entries. I guess I probably have to either downgrade to V4 or do the scanning manually until SAS decide to improve its schedule scanning tasks and separate it from XP TM.

I'm running Windows 7 and I am having the same problem. Used to run every night at 2AM. Now doesn't and kicks out an error message every morning.

Suggestions?

I tried re-installing...that allowed me to ru a quick scan scheduled...but when I ran a complete scan it kicked an error message

I have been working on this problem all day and still have no clue why the schedule scans won't start. I have three computers: an HP desktop, an HP netbook and a Samsung netbook. All three are configured about the same. The HP desktop runs the scheduled scans just fine; the two netbooks don't run them at all. I have no idea if the issue is a netbook/laptop/notebook thing or not, but I pass this on in case someone has a thought.

I am experiencing the same issue.

Ever since the upgrade to ver 5, scheduled scans will not run.

Running Windows XP as admin. I've messed around with the windows scheduler trying various configurations with/without passwords, etc.

I've tried setting up the scan to run as a quick or complete - no difference.

I find it really very frustrating that a updated version of an application is delivered with this kind of flaw - especially when it worked as it should in the last version. This is a program that needs to run as an automatic scheduled scan in order to be most effective.

PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE FURTHER. I'm sure many users, like me, have not realized the scheduled scans are not running. It took me a few days to notice.

I'd like to revert to the previous version until this issue is corrected. How do I go about doing that?

I am experiencing the same issue.

Ever since the upgrade to ver 5, scheduled scans will not run.

Running Windows XP as admin. I've messed around with the windows scheduler trying various configurations with/without passwords, etc.

I've tried setting up the scan to run as a quick or complete - no difference.

I find it really very frustrating that a updated version of an application is delivered with this kind of flaw - especially when it worked as it should in the last version. This is a program that needs to run as an automatic scheduled scan in order to be most effective.

PLEASE LOOK INTO THIS ISSUE FURTHER. I'm sure many users, like me, have not realized the scheduled scans are not running. It took me a few days to notice.

I'd like to revert to the previous version until this issue is corrected. How do I go about doing that?

I have decided to go back to version 4.55.1000 as doing manual scanning is such a headache for me. I'll upgrade to v5 as soon as SAS fixed the problem (or if I can fix my Windows Task Scheduler problem). You can get the v4 here. The download link is for the FREE version, but once you enter the Registration Number, it'll change to the Professional version instead:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/10146/

1. The problem is getting worse. This morning when I booted up the Task Scheduler produced an error message saying it had missed the scheduled SAS update. So, now we're getting notices that Task Scheduler is not working that do no good.

2. I too share the frustration with SAS and am considering to revert to V4 (or asking for my license fee back because scheduled updating is the big difference between the free and paid version). But what I'm unclear about is will V4 update definitions without also updating and converting to V5.

1. The problem is getting worse. This morning when I booted up the Task Scheduler produced an error message saying it had missed the scheduled SAS update. So, now we're getting notices that Task Scheduler is not working that do no good.

2. I too share the frustration with SAS and am considering to revert to V4 (or asking for my license fee back because scheduled updating is the big difference between the free and paid version). But what I'm unclear about is will V4 update definitions without also updating and converting to V5.

Since I have just downgraded to V4, maybe I can answer your question. The definitions will still be updated as usual. However, you'll receive (at least I do) a notification periodically saying an "update" is available and asked you to install it. That's the V5 UPDATE, not the definition! If you do not want V5, do not click it, just close the notification.

After I downgraded to V4, scheduled scanning works as before. I hope this helps.

Since I have just downgraded to V4, maybe I can answer your question. The definitions will still be updated as usual. However, you'll receive (at least I do) a notification periodically saying an "update" is available and asked you to install it. That's the V5 UPDATE, not the definition! If you do not want V5, do not click it, just close the notification.

After I downgraded to V4, scheduled scanning works as before. I hope this helps.

I just did the "downgrade", and even with my registration number entered and accepted, there is no longer an interface for scheduling scans under the "Scanning Control" tab.

:-(

I rebooted to see if that would help. No dice.

Any suggestions?

I just did the "downgrade", and even with my registration number entered and accepted, there is no longer an interface for scheduling scans under the "Scanning Control" tab.

:-(

I rebooted to see if that would help. No dice.

Any suggestions?

After you downgraded to V4, you should have the old interface back (see attached)? Did you?

post-12698-0-73228900-1312986760_thumb.jpg

After you downgraded to V4, you should have the old interface back (see attached)? Did you?

Yup - Duh! :blink: Right after I posted that, I re-installed the downgrade again. This time I did not put in my reg number at the install prompt, and then was presented with that old familiar screen with the scheduling option. Looks like the un-install did not clean up everything, as the application retained my reg info.

Let's see if the scheduler works with the newly installed old version 4 ... (tic, toc - tic, toc...) Oh, sweet! It worked! :-)

As in this case, seems that NEWER is not always BETTER. :P

Again, I'd like to ask that the SAS developers please look at this issue and resolve it. I would really like to enjoy the faster scans of version 5.

Yup - Duh! :blink: Right after I posted that, I re-installed the downgrade again. This time I did not put in my reg number at the install prompt, and then was presented with that old familiar screen with the scheduling option. Looks like the un-install did not clean up everything, as the application retained my reg info.

Let's see if the scheduler works with the newly installed old version 4 ... (tic, toc - tic, toc...) Oh, sweet! It worked! :-)

As in this case, seems that NEWER is not always BETTER. :P

Again, I'd like to ask that the SAS developers please look at this issue and resolve it. I would really like to enjoy the faster scans of version 5.

Yes, you are correct for saying that the "uninstall did not clean up everything". For others who want to downgrade to V4. After you uninstall, search your PC for "SuperAntispyware" and delete all the leftovers (I found two which are "prefetch" files"). You have to delete them too in order to remove V5 completely before you install V4.

Yes, you are correct for saying that the "uninstall did not clean up everything". For others who want to downgrade to V4. After you uninstall, search your PC for "SuperAntispyware" and delete all the leftovers (I found two which are "prefetch" files"). You have to delete them too in order to remove V5 completely before you install V4.

I did not do the detailed clean up after the install as you did. So, I might have some leftovers. Does that present a problem? Do you know what the file names of those two prefetch files are/were?

The ver 4 I'm running now seems to be working fine :-)

BTW: Thanks for your help on this. I hope this thread will help others with this issue, too.

I did not do the detailed clean up after the install as you did. So, I might have some leftovers. Does that present a problem? Do you know what the file names of those two prefetch files are/were?

The ver 4 I'm running now seems to be working fine :-)

BTW: Thanks for your help on this. I hope this thread will help others with this issue, too.

I don't think so since you said V4 is running normally. I am just a normal user like you so I can't say for sure. But as long as V4 works as it did before, I don't see any problem. If you want, you can search your PC for "Superantispyware" to see if there are any "prefetch" files (I delete them already and don't remember what were they). If there are only two, then you should be ok as I think they will be updated as soon as you reinstall SAS.

I uninstalled V5 and scanned for leftovers and found about 56 items including the two prefetch and the two C:Windows\Tasks supposed SAS scheduled tasks, which wouldn't delete immediately, but did upon rebooting. Now I have SAS V4 installed and the scheduling works perfectly. Thanks, Wayne ...

PS: I did a customer support ticket to SAS on this issue. I do NOT get any sense that they are taking it seriously, or have a clue what's wrong, or have any idea how many users with paid licenses are affected by the problem. I have not heard back on my support ticket for two days. The only response I got told me to uninstall and re-install which did not help. Here is all that is said on the website, which is not helpful:

https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=46

I have the same problem which did not exist until V5 came out. I did the reinstall. It did not help. Also am using Windows XP and am the Administrator. I've changed nothing else on my computer, so I believe there is a glitch in V5.

I uninstalled V5 and scanned for leftovers and found about 56 items including the two prefetch and the two C:Windows\Tasks supposed SAS scheduled tasks, which wouldn't delete immediately, but did upon rebooting. Now I have SAS V4 installed and the scheduling works perfectly. Thanks, Wayne ...

PS: I did a customer support ticket to SAS on this issue. I do NOT get any sense that they are taking it seriously, or have a clue what's wrong, or have any idea how many users with paid licenses are affected by the problem. I have not heard back on my support ticket for two days. The only response I got told me to uninstall and re-install which did not help. Here is all that is said on the website, which is not helpful:

https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=46

I doubt if SAS will fix this problem since it seems it only affects those XP (maybe Vista also) users that have problems with their Task Scheduler, which I do. For those users whose Task Scheduler works fine will not be affected (my friend who has a Paid version 5 with XP, his scheduled scanning works fine). As long as SAS still supports V4, I probably will stay with it.

PS: I have also submitted two tickets to SAS Support and didn't hear from them for two days. I believe the some people received those tickets are the same SAS Administrators that answered our posts in this forum.

Geeze!

Don't know why ya have to be a rocket scientist to post here; been posting on Yahoo! for years.

FWIW, I had the same problem with v5; but NOT with v4. I had been using autoruns to disable 'help' crapola. When it kept comming back, I disabled task scheduler; but I received a notice that Windows update wouldn't work. So, I turned task scheduler back on. I forgot all about Administrative Tools/Component Services. When I checked, I found 2(!) entries for Task Scheduling; one said 'running' and the other said 'disabled'. I restarted the disabled one and rebooted. Now v5 works fine!!

I still use XP and I drive a '98' Grand Marquis. Both do what I need!!!

SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 does require your system be configured to have a functioning Task Scheduler to utilize the scheduled scanning and update options within SUPERAntiSpyware Pro.

The switch to using the Windows Task Scheduler is a significant upgrade in functionality compared to the 4.x scheduler. Two of the most requested features for SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 were to allow for multiple schedules and the ability to wake a computer from sleep to perform a scan.

For us to upgrade the scheduler with these features, we had to change the scheduler. We decided to use the Windows Task Scheduler rather than spend months developing and testing a service that would simply duplicate the exact behavior of what is already installed on everyone's computer. It's not unusual for an application's features to be designed around the premise that the system is working correctly and required services aren't disabled or broken. For instance, you can't disable the Windows Print Spooler service then blame your document software for not printing.

I understand your frustration but for now there's nothing we can do to help remedy the problem if your Task Scheduler is not functional. For the time being, SUPERAntiSpyware 4.x will continue to get definition updates if you decide to downgrade to use the old scheduler.

As always, we appreciate customer feedback will be keeping track of the requests to not use the Windows Task Scheduler. Thank you!

The only thing to conclude from your comments is that SAS has little concern for actual customer needs. Here is why I so conclude:

1. I have never had any problem with the Task Scheduler before, and I will bet none of the other customers experiencing the noted problem have either. In fact, I never touched Task Scheduler before SAS went to V5.

2. While one surely can understand SAS not wanting to devote resources to doing its own scheduler, it does not seem to much to ask for SAS at least to spend some time understanding why Task Scheduler is not working for so many customers and what SAS might do to help them.

3. Many customers would have been glad to have a functioning schedule scan without the additional supposed features SAS built into V5. That said, there would seem to be little impediment to SAS having made integration with Task Scheduler an option under but not a requirement of V5. Then, users who could not get Task Scheduler to work with V5 could opt to have the old scheduler but still keep the other advancements of V5.

4. Most of all, I, along with all the others, bought what was promoted as a "lifetime license." We are NOT getting what we paid for because we are not getting the features of V5. That said, I do not hear anything in what you are saying to suggest at least some rebate to compensate customers who are getting less than they paid for.

In sum, if I read your last post correctly, Dave, SAS is not going to do anything to address the issue or help customers, and is going to stick with your apparent attitude of, tough luck for the consumer. You certainly are entitled to take that stance. But I just don't want to be mistaken about your stance when others ask me if I would recommend SAS, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

...The switch to using the Windows Task Scheduler is a significant upgrade in functionality compared to the 4.x scheduler...

:?: How about an user selectable option?

If SAS already has the core code for these routines, why not make it a choice like this:

__ Use the limited, but very reliable, built-in SAS scan scheduler.

- or -

__ For more advanced scheduling needs, use your operating system's task scheduler (Windows Task Scheduler)

SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 does require your system be configured to have a functioning Task Scheduler to utilize the scheduled scanning and update options within SUPERAntiSpyware Pro.

The switch to using the Windows Task Scheduler is a significant upgrade in functionality compared to the 4.x scheduler. Two of the most requested features for SUPERAntiSpyware 5.0 were to allow for multiple schedules and the ability to wake a computer from sleep to perform a scan.

For us to upgrade the scheduler with these features, we had to change the scheduler. We decided to use the Windows Task Scheduler rather than spend months developing and testing a service that would simply duplicate the exact behavior of what is already installed on everyone's computer. It's not unusual for an application's features to be designed around the premise that the system is working correctly and required services aren't disabled or broken. For instance, you can't disable the Windows Print Spooler service then blame your document software for not printing.

I understand your frustration but for now there's nothing we can do to help remedy the problem if your Task Scheduler is not functional. For the time being, SUPERAntiSpyware 4.x will continue to get definition updates if you decide to downgrade to use the old scheduler.

As always, we appreciate customer feedback will be keeping track of the requests to not use the Windows Task Scheduler. Thank you!

"The switch to using the Windows Task Scheduler is a significant upgrade " -- I respectfully disagree about this statement. For using the Windows Task Scheduler, you only bring in more problems to SAS since Micorsoft softwares do have problems at all times which is beyond users' control (because of its registries and also vulnerable for being hacked . If the "multi-schedule" is the only reason SAS decides to use Windows Task Scheduler, it's not logical. I have used many programs that have scheduled tasks which do not need Windows Task Scheduler and they all work perfectly. For depending on Windows Task Scheduler, you only bring in more problems to SAS. SAS should be independent of itself and should not depend on anyone else to run properly, that's my opinion. SAS has been running perfectly for 4 versions and unfortunately, V5 is going backward. Again, SAS should not depend on Windows.

If SAS already has the core code for these routines, why not make it a choice like this:

- or -

__ For more advanced scheduling needs, use your operating system's task scheduler (Windows Task Scheduler)

I forgot to address the other reason you stated: "the ability to wake a computer from sleep to perform a scan". There's no problem for V4 to do so because my laptop always go to sleep after 10 minutes and SAS was able to wake it up to do the scheduled scanning in V4. So it's not a new feature.

- or -

The short answer is that the 5.0 scheduling is a complete redesign, not just a minor change or feature that can be selected to operate one way or another way. The testing and support involved on current and all future versions would be too significant to maintain both internal and external scheduling services.

I forgot to address the other reason you stated: "the ability to wake a computer from sleep to perform a scan". There's no problem for V4 to do so because my laptop always go to sleep after 10 minutes and SAS was able to wake it up to do the scheduled scanning in V4. So it's not a new feature.

The 4.x scheduler was unable to wake the computer from sleep. You may be thinking of the power saving options for the screen and/or hard drive.