KenWA

Quick Launch missing after installing Version 5

I installed the latest update yesterday. When I booted up today my Quick Launch bar had disappeared and i was unable to recover or even to rebuild it. I restored my HD from a backup and then set about updating programs. When I updated SAS Pro again the QL bar disappeared again. Why does this happen and how do I get it back again?

I have uninstalled SAS 5 but this did not make any difference.

I installed the latest update yesterday. When I booted up today my Quick Launch bar had disappeared and i was unable to recover or even to rebuild it. I restored my HD from a backup and then set about updating programs. When I updated SAS Pro again the QL bar disappeared again. Why does this happen and how do I get it back again?

I have uninstalled SAS 5 but this did not make any difference.

There are many infections that will alter or modify the quick launch bar. Outside of SUPERAntiSpyware removing those infections, there's nothing we do that would cause this behavior (we don't even add a shortcut to quicklaunch). What operating system are you using? In XP/Vista the default folder for the quicklaunch bar is: %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch (You can type that exact line in on an address bar of explorer or start\run to open the folder). You should see all of your icons in there. If you right-click on the taskbar, can you see the option for Quick Launch under Toolbars?

I am using XP Pro SP3. The reason I blame SAS is the obvious fact that the bar was absent the first time I rebooted after installing the upgrade, It reappeared in the restored image of my disk from before the installation but disappeared again when I repeated the upgrade. There is no question of 'infections' here. I am behind a hardware firewall (router), run a software firewall with active monitoring through an antivirus, two antispyware programs and with WinPatrol keeping an eye on things as well. I have never had a virus or other malware. During the absence of the bar I checked the Taskbar properties and the Quick Launch toolbar was ticked.

Thank you for the directions to find the home of the icons. It may come in handy.

I can't think of any other reason that the quick launch bar would be gone. You could try downloading the install package from our website rather than performing the in-product update to see if you get a different result. If the problem continues, maybe you could create a support ticket while your computer is in the "missing quick launch bar" state, and one of our techs can have you run a system diagnostic to gather more information.

I can't think of any other reason that the quick launch bar would be gone. You could try downloading the install package from our website rather than performing the in-product update to see if you get a different result. If the problem continues, maybe you could create a support ticket while your computer is in the "missing quick launch bar" state, and one of our techs can have you run a system diagnostic to gather more information.

Before I had checked the forum this morning I decided to try again. Having re-installed 4.55 I went through the double upgrade process to version 5.0. On rebooting the Quick Launch bar had vanished again! Once is doubtful, twice is very suspicious but three times must be positive proof.

I checked that Quick Launch toolbar was still ticked but the ...Microsoft/IE/Quick Launch folder was empty.

I will try uninstalling and then installing the whole package as you suggest.

Before I had checked the forum this morning I decided to try again. Having re-installed 4.55 I went through the double upgrade process to version 5.0. On rebooting the Quick Launch bar had vanished again! Once is doubtful, twice is very suspicious but three times must be positive proof.

I checked that Quick Launch toolbar was still ticked but the ...Microsoft/IE/Quick Launch folder was empty.

I will try uninstalling and then installing the whole package as you suggest.

I uninstalled the updated version 5 using my usual method (Your Uninstaller) and followed this with the SAS Uninstaller Assistant with a Reboot. I then downloaded the full installation package and installed this followed by a Reboot. This time the Quick Launch bar remained intact.

This must be a very interesting problem for the programmers but I am just happy that everything is back to normal.

Referring back to your suggestion about 'infections' I should tell you that apart from my firewalls I run daily scans by Avira Antivir, SuperantiSpyware and Malwarebytes Antimalware and a weekly scan by Threatfire. In addition there are monthly scans by Spybot S&D, Blackllight and Sophos Antirootkit. In addition both Zone Alarm Pro and WinPatrol are effective HIPS programs. Overkill perhaps, but it does give me the confidence to initially exclude malware and concentrate on other possible sources when problems arise, such as "The Case of the Disappearing Quick Launch Bar".

I uninstalled the updated version 5 using my usual method (Your Uninstaller) and followed this with the SAS Uninstaller Assistant with a Reboot. I then downloaded the full installation package and installed this followed by a Reboot. This time the Quick Launch bar remained intact.

Thanks for letting us know the results of your tests. We'll include checking the Quick Lunch folder during our testing to see if we can reproduce the behavior.