sunrise

Can I run more than 2 real time antispyware shield incl SAS?

I understand that it is good to have at least two anti spyware in case one miss certain malware etc. SAS has real time shield, so is ST. As I am using vista, defender comes with it as well (whether good or not for this doesnt matter).

For on access scanner (real time) - Can use all ST/SAS Pro/Defender for real time shield? conflict? and when the zonealarm pro is out for vista which comes with antispyware as well, me wanted to use their firewall as heard its very effective and most impt for me, easy to use, and since the antispyware comes with it, so just use it. so when that time comes, ST/SAS Pro/Defender/Zonealarm antispyware - 4 real time altogether ok?

if not, which do you recommend to disable?

For on demand scanner - in addition to the above, necessary to get additional stuff like the free SD and AVG?

Thanks!

id say that windows defender is redundant with ST in there....

ST is preference..it will be safer and you control more, but it will be more popups....

ST is preference..it will be safer and you control more, but it will be more popups....

yes, defender may be bad. but since it comes with vista, leaving it on do no harm, unless affect performance or conflict with other program.

but still want to know if running more than 1 real time spyware scanner is an issue (SAS + Zonealarm Pro + ST). if no, does tht mean once detect spyware, all the 3 realtime will pop up msg? just wondering how they handle

i know for antivirus, one shld have only 1 real time scanner.

yes, defender may be bad. but since it comes with vista, leaving it on do no harm, unless affect performance or conflict with other program.

but still want to know if running more than 1 real time spyware scanner is an issue (SAS + Zonealarm Pro + ST). if no, does tht mean once detect spyware, all the 3 realtime will pop up msg? just wondering how they handle

i know for antivirus, one shld have only 1 real time scanner.

SAS works with all other anti-spyware/anti-virus products with no problem - the one that catches the infection first will pop-up.

there is a limit to how many security programs you can have running in realtime, with win xp, if you want them to function properly.. i don't know about vista, if it has the same limits, but my guess would be that it doesn't..

i used to run trojanhunter, ewido, and "a-squared", along with the kerio 2.15 firewall, "regedefend", and "processguard".. i discovered that, with all of those running, some of the programs would not catch malware the way that they were supposed to (i didn't really have any malware on my pc, but i was using "test files", for testing)..

i found that trojanhunter was not catching the test files, the way that it was supposed to.. so, then i started running "BOClean" instead of "trojanhunter", but i found that it, too, would not catch the test-files, the way that it was supposed to..

kevin mcaleavey of "privacy software corporation", makers of "BOClean", ran some diagnostics on my computer and determined that the problem was "having too many programs running", and explained that windows xp is not designed to accommodate that many security programs..

he said, something like, there are 8 slots at the kernel-level, or something like that, and so, if your programs need more than those 8 slots, some will get booted out in order to accomodate the others, and that is why i was finding that "trojanhunter" and "boclean" were not performing the way that they were supposed to (and so i quit running so many security programs, in realtime)..

i really don't know what "resources" my programs are using, but i try to keep things at a minimum, and not to overdo it.. right now i am running my kerio 2.15 firewall, antivir, SAS, "regdefend", and BOClean, so i have those five programs showing in my systray.. i also usually have some "HIPS" program running, but i don't have one installed, right now.. if i did have a "HIPS" program installed, i might opt to not run both SAS and BOClean, together, because i think that could be pushing things, though it probably would be OK to run them both, together, along with the other programs (that would be a total of 6 security programs that i would have running in realtime, if i added a "HIPS" program to what i am currently running).. i would say/guess that that would be the maximum that i could run, without running into problems..

so, you might not see a problem from having a lot of security programs running in realtime, but, if you test their performance, you might find that they are not performing the way that they are supposed to, even though you don't SEE any "conflicts" between the programs, when they are running..