Sign in to follow this  
Wrongulator2

SAS Failing to Pick Up a Clear Trojan

I have spent the better part of the last 24 hours attempting to clear out a Trojan of some type that has appeared on my machine after attempting to watch a streaming video.

The trojan in question hijacks the Windows Automatic Updates alerts and sends constant messages that the firewall and update alerts are off. It also has rooted itself somewhere so that it can still activate when the computer is in safe mode. It is not possible to remove it with System Restore as no matter how far back one takes it, it insists that no changes are made to the system. It also refuses to allow a browser to open and rewrites the registry so that the computer will no longer recognise the file associations when you double click on them. The File Manager showed that a program known as owu.exe was in operation during the worst of these.

I have run every virus scan under the sun from Malwarebytes, Adaware, AVG, Iobit and was then recommended to try SAS, which has been one of the most helpful. Some of these have picked up problems and removed them. The owu.exe is removed, the web accessible, the file associations restored and the worst of the numerous pop-ups about windows alerts gone. However, there is still a persistent taskbar icon that says that windows alerts are turned off and I cannot use system restore.

I am at wits end regarding trying to get rid of this. Can someone out there please help with some suggestions as to what else I might be able to do?