Sign in to follow this  
sly stone

I installed both SAS PRO and SAS portable why?

I'm confused I have been using SAS portable. I own a life time membership to SAS PRO but because of it using a lot of memory I have not installed it until yesterday version 4.55.0.1000. I Have to have SAS potable working because twice I have been infected with fake rogue xp spy ware and it saved the day twice. I have that problem figured out. Ok so today I boot up SAS portable but what boots up is SAS pro? Why, and am I going to be able to boot the portable when malware attacks and blocks me booting anything on the desk top? I'm not sure I like this and would uninstall the pro version in a second as i do not use real time protection. I have a very slow computer and look for ways to speed it up not slow it down. I have a technical issue going on with support and don't want to bother them about this. Thanks

Doesn't matter I have a installed folder on my c drive and one on my usb stick. Doesn't matter where I open the portable up.When i do open the portable up it shows the pro interface and there are the logs are from pro. The portable version scans higher also and for some reason the pro scans at a lower rate. I just want to know what happens if spy-ware disables the pro version? Am i screwed? If so goodbye pro. I can't be the first one this has happened to?

Doesn't matter I have a installed folder on my c drive and one on my usb stick. Doesn't matter where I open the portable up.When i do open the portable up it shows the pro interface and there are the logs are from pro. The portable version scans higher also and for some reason the pro scans at a lower rate. I just want to know what happens if spy-ware disables the pro version? Am i screwed? If so goodbye pro. I can't be the first one this has happened to?

The Portable Edition should bring up the main menu to Scan etc; the reason you can access the logs from your installation is because the Portable will read the scan logs from the Professional's scan log location. They also use the same scanner; so there is really no reason why one would be faster than the other. Please let us know if you have any further questions! :)

NO NO NO you are wrong, I'm not trying to be a know it all but. When I boot either product in the regular boot only the pro interface comes up,but when I go into the safe mode the portable will boot as the portable free version core 6965 and trace 4777 version 4.555.1000.It uses 1.8-2.mgs, When scanning. When I open the pro it shows core 7432 trace 5244 and version 4.55.1000 and scans at a lower rate 1.3-1.4mgs.They are different I'm not crazy. If not in the safe mode they boot as one. I need the portable to boot on it's own because xp rogue spy ware blocks the desk top products.I've had three battles and the pro version gets blocked every time.The portable has to boot separate or if there is no answer I delete the pro version. The biggest attacks I have had in two years have been from rogue spyware. The SAS portable and malwarebytes have saved me everytime. I'm trying not to sound like a jerk but I know what I'm seeing.The viruses do not pick up the portables installer as it is set up ms-dos SAS_618eo.com. Hope there's a fix. Again not trying to be a jerk or a know it all just want the best protection.

NO NO NO you are wrong, I'm not trying to be a know it all but. When I boot either product in the regular boot only the pro interface comes up,but when I go into the safe mode the portable will boot as the portable free version core 6965 and trace 4777 version 4.555.1000.It uses 1.8-2.mgs, When scanning. When I open the pro it shows core 7432 trace 5244 and version 4.55.1000 and scans at a lower rate 1.3-1.4mgs.They are different I'm not crazy. If not in the safe mode they boot as one. I need the portable to boot on it's own because xp rogue spy ware blocks the desk top products.I've had three battles and the pro version gets blocked every time.The portable has to boot separate or if there is no answer I delete the pro version. The biggest attacks I have had in two years have been from rogue spyware. The SAS portable and malwarebytes have saved me everytime. I'm trying not to sound like a jerk but I know what I'm seeing.The viruses do not pick up the portables installer as it is set up ms-dos SAS_618eo.com. Hope there's a fix. Again not trying to be a jerk or a know it all just want the best protection.

They have diferent database number because you need to download the portable version each time there is a new update. The portable version dont downlaod database updates. You can disable the real time protection and use the PRO version as a scanner only. The real time protection of PRO version dont use much memory, also it can avoid you get infected again

Simply close SAS Pro before launching the portable version. You can (and should) update the definition files in SAS Portable, but you have to re-download it to get the latest available version.

In addition to the portable version, SAS has other alternatives if malware has blocked it from running. For example:

https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=71

Simply close SAS Pro before launching the portable version. You can (and should) update the definition files in SAS Portable, but you have to re-download it to get the latest available version.

In addition to the portable version, SAS has other alternatives if malware has blocked it from running. For example:

https://www.superantispyware.com/supportfaqdisplay.html?faq=71

What alternative works if a infection damage or removed the EXE extension?

Thanks Seth!

You're welcome:)

BTW Sly, there should be no significant difference in memory usage between the portable and pro, provided that the versions are identical.