Sign in to follow this  
mrpick

Help, I think I have a virus

My laptop running windows XP has been acting very funny as of late. My hotmail account was hijacked and was sending spam to my contacts, I have since cleared it up but I believe it was because of my laptop. My laptop is now running really slow. I could not update the definitions on SAS. I went through the manual route and have also tried to unistall/install to no avail. Please help.

My laptop running windows XP has been acting very funny as of late. My hotmail account was hijacked and was sending spam to my contacts, I have since cleared it up but I believe it was because of my laptop. My laptop is now running really slow. I could not update the definitions on SAS. I went through the manual route and have also tried to unistall/install to no avail. Please help.

It seems your hotmail account was phished. You should change your password as soon as possible on that account. As far as infections on your actual computer are concerned; please boot into safe mode and run a complete scan.

It seems your hotmail account was phished. You should change your password as soon as possible on that account. As far as infections on your actual computer are concerned; please boot into safe mode and run a complete scan.

Yeah, I've taken care of the email. I will try to boot in safe mode and run a complete scan, and will post the results.

Okay, so I was able to update in safe mode and ran a scan. However, the results were that it only found 4 tracking cookies and it usually finds about 70 to 120 threats. Also there are two users on my computer and it only finds threats from the other user and not the main/administrator which is mine.

Okay, so I was able to update in safe mode and ran a scan. However, the results were that it only found 4 tracking cookies and it usually finds about 70 to 120 threats. Also there are two users on my computer and it only finds threats from the other user and not the main/administrator which is mine.

What is your current version of SUPERAntiSpyware?

Open Internet Explorer and navigate to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings. If anything is checked in this window, uncheck it and click ok. Now try to update SAS. If that doesn't help, make sure SAS is allowed through your firewall.

Also, run an online scan with Eset NOD32:

http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner