Sign in to follow this  
JohnnySokko

Installing updates to SAS

Hello,

I have a question regarding checking for and downloading new malware definition updates.

There are apparently two ways to do so. You can either click on the "Check for Updates" button on the home-screen of SAS when it opens, or you can right-click on the SAS icon in the system tray which will also provide an option to update.

I would like to know if there are any differences between these two ways of updating?

I wouldn't think there would be, but since each of the two different update buttons act different when they are clicked on, I am wondering if there really are any differenced and, if yes, what are the differences.

If I click on the "Check for Updates" button on the home-screen of SAS, it downloads and installs whatever updates are available. No problem.

However, if I download updates through the menu that opens up by right-clicking the icon in the system tray, it acts differently. Doing it that way brings up an Install Wizard to download and install the updates. It doesn't do that when I update from the home-screen. Why the different process? It seems odd.

Can somebody please explain this.

Thank you. : )

When you use "Check for Updates" via the SAS icon right click option in the Notification Tray, SAS not only checks for malware definition updates, it also checks for SAS program revision updates. If it finds that you are using an old version of SAS, the update module will offer you the option to download/install the latest SAS program version.

If you use the "Check for Updates" on the main SAS GUI, it only checks for malware definitions updates...no program revision updates.