Sign in to follow this  
jer

XP Antivirus 2011 removal problem

I ran SAS Portable on a friends computer that was infected with XP Antivirus 2011. It found and quarentined 128 items. The popups are gone, but so is eveything else. I Cannot run any programs. A window pops up that says "windows does not recognise this program, select either go online or chose from list" I downloaded and ran the SAS_FixEXEfile as mentioned in a previous post. Most things work ok after I run the SAS_FixEXEfile untill I restart the computer and then everything is broken again. I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I ran SAS Portable on a friends computer that was infected with XP Antivirus 2011. It found and quarentined 128 items. The popups are gone, but so is eveything else. I Cannot run any programs. A window pops up that says "windows does not recognise this program, select either go online or chose from list" I downloaded and ran the SAS_FixEXEfile as mentioned in a previous post. Most things work ok after I run the SAS_FixEXEfile untill I restart the computer and then everything is broken again. I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Please follow the same steps in safe mode. What version of SUPERAntiSpyware are you currently running?

Thanks for the reply. I am using the portable version 4.54.1000. I also have the free version 4.54.1000 saved. I I was unable to boot into safe mode using the F8 key, and was not sure how to get there another way. I have since found out that I may be able to get into safe mode by running msconfig, is that correct? If so I will try it and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

I was able to boot into safe mode using msconfig. I ran the SAS scan and SAS_FixEXEfile. I rebooted into normal startup, and things are better! Only one small problem left, Automatic Updates will nor turn on. I'm not sure if this was caused by the infection, or if I have some other problem?