Sign in to follow this  
qrius2noall

UNINSTALLATION PROBLEM

HI TO FELLOW MEMBERS FROM THIS NEWBIE !

I had installed and used with much pleasure the SUPERANTISPYWARE(VERSION 3.5.0.1016).In order to download,install and use the better version of the same,Iam trying to uninstall it but an error keeps on popping up

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event Category: None

Event ID: 11316

Date: 3/22/2007

Time: 12:25:52 AM

User:

Computer:

Description:

Product: SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition -- Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\WISCDDCBBF1270346BC938BBCC81A1EEAAA_3_5_0_1016.MSI

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 7b 43 44 44 43 42 42 46 {CDDCBBF

0008: 31 2d 32 37 30 33 2d 34 1-2703-4

0010: 36 42 43 2d 39 33 38 42 6BC-938B

0018: 2d 42 43 43 38 31 41 31 -BCC81A1

0020: 45 45 41 41 41 7d EEAAA}

IAM NOT ABLE TO EITHER UNINSTALL OR REINSTALL SUPERANTISPYWARE.THUS JUST STUCK WHICH IS FRUSTRATING(especially being a newbie,dont know much about it)

I HOPE THE NICE PEOPLE AROUND HERE WILL HELP ME OUT WITH EASY TO DO SUGGESTIONS/TIPS IN LAYMAN'S TERMS.

THANKING IN ANTICIPATION

i also had a problem with uninstalling SAS build 3.5.0.1016.. i didn't see any error messages, and i didn't check for errors in "event viewer", but i did notice that NONE of the files in the SAS folder, in c/program files/SAS, were unininstalled when i ran the uninstaller, and the SAS context menu-item was not removed..

i could manually delete the files in the SAS folder, but i could not figure out how to remove the context menu item.. and i also manually deleted one or more SAS files in c/windows/system32/drivers, whatever SAS-files i could find, and i got rid of the SAS regkeys that i could find, as necessary though actually i believe that i didn't find any SAS regkeys to remove..

i also had a problem when i installed SAS build 3.5.0.1016: when i would click the SAS icon in the start/all programs menu, instead of SAS running, it would run what seemed like a "repair install", and my guess is that this is also why the uninstaller wouldn't run properly..

i had a similar experience with the new "ad-aware" "installer" that was recently uploaded to cnet's "download.com", feb 12th, 2007 where clicking the ad-aware icon in start/all programs would run what seemed like a "repair install" and then, when running the uninstall, none of the ad-aware files in c/program files/lavasoft/ad-aware would be removed..

i don't know if the problem stems from SAS and lavasoft's trying to make their installers "vista"-compatible, or if the problem is with MS's "msiexec.exe"..

well, to test, i ran the adware unininstall and the SAS uninstall (i uninstalled one, rebooted, and then uninstalled the other, and rebooted).. apparently, with the new vista-compatible installers, when you use "add/remove" to "uninstall" a program, instead of the program uninstalling, it runs a "repair install", or something like a repair-install..

incidentally, i was not able to simply delete all of the files in the SAS folder, even in "safe mode".. i had forgotten about that, when i made my earlier post.. i used "hijackthis" to remove the "sas-winlogon notify" thing, rebooted, and then was able to delete the associated file, and i used "regsvr32" to "unregister" another file, rebooted, and then was able to delete it.. i also did some additional things in trying to manually uninstall SAS, but i won't go into the details..

the new vista-compatible installers are not win xp-compatible.. i think that microsoft is at least partly responsible for this problem..