Sign in to follow this  
Stickks

Client Side Feedback

First off I would like to say that I'm loving the changes in 5.0 and yes, it still has a few quirks that need to be worked out. It's a pre-release and I'm completely understanding that fact. However...

I would like to point out what I would call a "non-critical issue". It is an issue that I noticed only a few minutes before writing this post.

A few days ago I installed the full(paid) version of 5.0 on my home machine and tonight I stayed up a little later than usual and as I start to become sleepy I decide its time to go crash out and I put my computer to sleep. Satisfied that it is asleep from watching the power management individually shut all the components down and hearing the final 'click' from the power supply I get up from my desk and start to walk towards my bedroom. No sooner had I made it out of the room and I hear the 'click' again. I spin around with a perplexed look starting to form on my face and walk back towards the computer. As I'm sitting down in my chair watching my monitors power up and hearing my computer coming back to life I start to wonder what the hell just woke up my computer. Then, out of nowhere, pops up the SuperAntiSpyware splash screen. My perplexity changes into understanding of whats going on. I watch the Home screen appear just as the splash screen disappears and within seconds it initiates a full scan. I begin to chuckle a bit and think to myself, "SuperAntiSpyware just hijacked my computer...woke it up from a dead sleep to run a scan."

I do have to say, that is one of the nicest features you get from the paid version which leads me into the 'however' part of the story.

However...

Upon realizing that it was a full scan was happening at 2am I wondered how often it had been scanning. So I cancelled the scan and went on a hunt to find the scheduled scanning options. I have to say that from being familiar with version 4, locating the scheduled scanning options was an educated guess. 3 menus deep in the options to be specific but that's neither here no there. The real issue I had was once I got to the scheduled scans options I could find options to do just about anything I wanted it to do.

I could set it to wake the computer at any time I wanted, at any combination of days, I could hide the UI, force a reboot if needed, and heck, even check for updates prior to the scan. The next thing I noticed is that it is set to scan every single day. That was one default setting that I hated about AVG Free. AVG quickly realized that was a little overkill and in their 9.0 version it was changed. Although it bothered me that by default it is set to scan every single day I'm still pretty impressed with the options but maybe its just that I'm tired and don't see it anywhere but where's the option for it to put my computer back to sleep when its done? Realizing this kind of gave me the feeling you get after your car is searched by the cops and they leave all the crap from your glovebox laying in the seat...

What I'm trying to say here is if your going to wake my computer up in the middle of the night, every night. then have the courtesy to put it back to sleep. You have included an option to shut the computer down after a scan, but if I wanted my computer shut down, I would have done it in the first place and I wouldn't be writing this.

One final note, scanning everyday by default is a bit over kill.

As mentioned in the beginning of this post, this is my feedback, based on my personal opinions. I am in no way trying to defile the SAS name nor attack the quality of the product. I'm just hoping that my feedback can help to improve the product from a customer perspective.

Doesn't your computer go back to sleep based on the conditions that you have specified in the Control Panel>Power Options?

Doesn't your computer go back to sleep based on the conditions that you have specified in the Control Panel>Power Options?

Of course. More specifically, I prefer to use powercfg from the command prompt with custom schemes based on the various tasks that I assign to my computer. By default my computer stays awake for 1 hour of non use but powering down non critical components in between. I think you may have completely missed the point of the original post.

It was just creepy that prior to writing the OP, I had put my computer to sleep, and minutes later, after I turned all the lights out, that it sprung back to life. Just like that creepy moment before somebody gets killed in a horror movie.

I would like to sleep function in the scheduled tasks, I think it would be a nice addition to the currently listed options. Maybe a little code that could invoke something similar to "rundll32 powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState". Of course, that suspends the computer rather than just putting it to sleep, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make.

Hi Stikks

We did move some options around in 5.0 to streamline the UI. Scheduled tasks can be modified by clicking the Configure... link next to Scheduled Scanning & Automatic Updates on the main window. As you found, it is also accessible via the Scanning Control tab within preferences.

As for re-sleeping; there isn't an obvious method that Windows gives us to detect that a computer was asleep and was woke to perform our task, so it couldn't be done reliably. I'll add a feature request for an option for "sleep after scan", much like our current "shutdown after scan" option.

Thank you for the feedback!

- Dave

I just noticed in the recent update that you guys added the feature to have SAS either shutdown, hibernate, or sleep the computer after it finishes its scan. Thank you very much for adding those features, it is much appreciated.

Stickks

I just noticed in the recent update that you guys added the feature to have SAS either shutdown, hibernate, or sleep the computer after it finishes its scan. Thank you very much for adding those features, it is much appreciated.

Stickks

+1 :wink: