Sign in to follow this  
confuseduser

Windows 7 64 bit with win 7 anti-spyware 2011 rogue virus

hello, I have the famed win 7 anti-spyware 2011 rogue virus on my computer (I'm typing this from my laptop), and I am unable to open SuperAntiSpyware or, for that matter, malwarebytes. I copied over SuperAntiSpyware onto a USB drive and plugged it into the infected computer, but when i try running it it says:

The Title is :"Unsupported 16-bit Application"

and the body is:

"The program or feature "/??/E:/SUPERAntiSpyware.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."

There is slightly different wording when I try to run one of the microsoft tools for removing malware, and that one is actually designed for the 64 bit version of windows 7.

This problem doesn't happen for all .exe files though, I tried running teamspeak 3 and it worked fine.

I have tried changing the names of SUPERantispyware and other malware removers, but it doesn't work. I have tried running as an administrator but it doesn't work. I have tried running in safe mode with networking but it doesn't work. I have tried restoring to a previous point but for some reason the only point is has recorded before now is earlier today, I tried restarting to then and the virus was still on my computer.

please help, thank you in advance!

I actually tried both of those yesterday, neither worked, the same thing happened as with the other prgrams I tried using.

I did however find a solution, there is a video walkthrough on youtube that worked perfectly, at one point it says to use malwarebytes which I did, but I'm sure SUPERAntiSpyware would work aswell, I just used malwarebytes because the video suggested it.

The video can be found here:

I actually tried both of those yesterday, neither worked, the same thing happened as with the other prgrams I tried using.

I did however find a solution, there is a video walkthrough on youtube that worked perfectly, at one point it says to use malwarebytes which I did, but I'm sure SUPERAntiSpyware would work aswell, I just used malwarebytes because the video suggested it.

The video can be found here:

In these cases we recommend you open a CSR; so we may run a diagnostic and add definitions for the issues you are experiencing. Just for future reference! Also remember; One solution is never enough these days. You need multiple layered security to ensure your computers safety!