Sign in to follow this  
ky331

SASCoreService; Trusted Items

1) Does the SASCore Service perform any function(s) in the FREE version (in particular, under Win XP/SP3, 32-bit)??? I see that this service defaults to an automatic startup. But as best as I can determine, even when the service is stopped, SAS can be opened, updated, and a scan performed. If this is indeed the case, can one safely disable auto-startup of this service, either by setting it to disable or to manual startup?

I'm assuming it has a purpose either in the paid version (real time protection?) or [based on what was implied in another thread] perhaps in a 64-bit windows system???

2)I can't seem to be able to get SASv5 to TRUST an item found in a scan... and this is regardless of whether or not the SASCore Service is running. Version 5.0.1076

5.0.1076 on XP pro SP3

I confirm that attempting to set detected items to trust does not work. In my case I have 2 security centre alerts (deliberately) disabled. These are detected in the scan. I check them, clicking trust selected items button, gives the 'are you sure?' box. Click OK. Then click manage allowed items button: window opens but shows no entries. The same detections then reappear in subsequent scans.

5.0.1076 on XP pro SP3

I confirm that attempting to set detected items to trust does not work. In my case I have 2 security centre alerts (deliberately) disabled. These are detected in the scan. I check them, clicking trust selected items button, gives the 'are you sure?' box. Click OK. Then click manage allowed items button: window opens but shows no entries. The same detections then reappear in subsequent scans.

Already resolved :) New version coming :)

The core service provides us additional scanning abilities in the Free Edition as well, so it should not be stopped, nor altered.

The core service provides us additional scanning abilities in the Free Edition as well, so it should not be stopped, nor altered.

Not to belabor the point, but my [admittedly limited] understanding is that if a service is set to MANUAL, it won't start automatically, but WILL start "as needed". So you're saying that even setting the core service to manual is problematic?

The reason I'm asking is that I typically run a SAS scan only once, maybe twice, a week... and so would prefer not to start "extraneous" services on a routine basis. But if it's really needed, I will certainly do so. I like your program, and value what it can do :-)

Not to belabor the point, but my [admittedly limited] understanding is that if a service is set to MANUAL, it won't start automatically, but WILL start "as needed". So you're saying that even setting the core service to manual is problematic?

The reason I'm asking is that I typically run a SAS scan only once, maybe twice, a week... and so would prefer not to start "extraneous" services on a routine basis. But if it's really needed, I will certainly do so. I like your program, and value what it can do :-)

It uses 0% CPU when SUPERAntiSpyware is not running - it should be left as automatic start :)

just found/updated to build 1078, and the TRUST feature is now working as it should :-)

thanks again for your assistance.

just found/updated to build 1078, and the TRUST feature is now working as it should :-)

thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks for testing!