Sign in to follow this  
siliconman01

A Word of Caution on Scheduled Scans Parameters/Setup

This is a word of caution to users concerning establishing a Scheduled Scan.

IF you set up a scheduled scan (Complete or Custom), you are most likely expecting the scheduled scan to ALWAYS honor the setup parameters as you configured them when you established the scheduled scan. However, this is not the case with SAS under certain conditions.

For Example:

- Let's assume that you set up a Custom Scheduled Scan that scans Memory, Registry, Startup Locations, Cookies, C:\ drive, and D:\ drive and it is to run silently once per day. (From my perspective, I want this scheduled scan to always honor my setup selections when I configured and established this scheduled scan.)

- Now, at some time in the future, you have a need to manually run a custom scan that scans only cookies. So you open the SAS GUI, select "Custom scan" and click on the "Scan your computer" hot button. On the Custom Scan Options window, you then set up to scan only cookies. You run the cookie scan via Start Custom Scan and close the SAS GUI and walk away.

WHAT YOU MAY NOT BE AWARE OF is that you also changed the Scheduled Custom Scan to scan only cookies. Every day, your scheduled custom scan is now scanning nothing but cookies forever more. Users must always be vigilant in recognizing/remembering that they have to go back and set up the custom scan parameters to what they want their scheduled custom scan to be IF they changed something to run a special manual custom scan (or Complete Scan).

This is a word of caution to users concerning establishing a Scheduled Scan.

IF you set up a scheduled scan (Complete or Custom), you are most likely expecting the scheduled scan to ALWAYS honor the setup parameters as you configured them when you established the scheduled scan. However, this is not the case with SAS under certain conditions.

For Example:

- Let's assume that you set up a Custom Scheduled Scan that scans Memory, Registry, Startup Locations, Cookies, C:\ drive, and D:\ drive and it is to run silently once per day. (From my perspective, I want this scheduled scan to always honor my setup selections when I configured and established this scheduled scan.)

- Now, at some time in the future, you have a need to manually run a custom scan that scans only cookies. So you open the SAS GUI, select "Custom scan" and click on the "Scan your computer" hot button. On the Custom Scan Options window, you then set up to scan only cookies. You run the cookie scan via Start Custom Scan and close the SAS GUI and walk away.

WHAT YOU MAY NOT BE AWARE OF is that you also changed the Scheduled Custom Scan to scan only cookies. Every day, your scheduled custom scan is now scanning nothing but cookies forever more. Users must always be vigilant in recognizing/remembering that they have to go back and set up the custom scan parameters to what they want their scheduled custom scan to be IF they changed something to run a special manual custom scan (or Complete Scan).

Tom - this is the same as version 4.x used by over 40 million users, while it will be nice to have individually customized scans, we haven't had this as a big request and thus it was not targeted for the first 5.0 release - I believe we made you aware of this in our testing communication.

How about highlighting the 100's of improvements we have made to the product? :) I will get together a list of all of the improvements and post those publicly so users can see the 100's of items that have been addressed, improved and added.