Sign in to follow this  
Electro-User

SUPERantiSpyware Causing Computer problems WIN XP SP3

HP Computer - WIN XP SP3 Media Center

SUPERantiSpyware is causing problems with re-install of WIN XP SP3

I was having problems with this computer as it would Power Off in Normal Mode (but not in safe Mode) and without being able to remedy this I did a Clean Install of the original WIN XP SP2 from the original disks

I updated to SP3 and the computer worked fine for 24 hours, No Problems. No more Powering Off on its own.

BUT THEN when I reinstalled SUPERAntiSpyware (paid edition) and after the install and when getting updates it immediately powered off. I turned it on again and it powered off again.

I remembered that Norton's 60 day trial was included on the original disks/install but I didn't install it.

Thinking this may be causing the problems I used the NRT Norton Removal Tools to remove it, rebooted, and as recommened by TimW I rebooted and then ran it again, rebooted

I used Revo Uninstaller to remove SUPERAntiSpyware. I rebooted the computer and it ran fine with no shut downs/Power offs.

Thinking everything was OK I reinstalled SUPERAntiSpyware and right after the install the SAME THING happened again...it immediately powered off.

I used Revo Uninstaller to remove SUPERAntiSpyware and the computer is running fine again.

Not sure why this is happening as I have used SUPERAntiSpyware for a couple of years and no conflicts.

Can someone please check the attached logs and see if you see anything that is causing this to happen.

It seems odd the power off problem is happening again after wiping the disks clean and starting new.

I am dumbfounded.

I originally posted this over at MajorGeeks and was advised maybe I should post it here :wink:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=235842

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem, after SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition install in that my computer has just completely shut down without any cause, so I can't conceive it being a coincidence that another user is having the same problem.

I had SUPERAntiSpyware free a few months ago. And it did find few minor items during first scan so it was doing better than Avira personal free which discoverd nothing so I was pleased with the performance of the program.

However also during this period of the trial my computer itermittently shut down, like powers down as if it was unplugged??? Couldn't figure out what the issue could be with a computer IT tech so we..

Also did a full re-install and an update included service pack 3 and just the other day decided to reintall SUPER ANti...free again and yesterday my computer powered down again for no reason. I called my tech friend and he witnessed one shut down, even asked if I had accidentally disconnected the power supply but as I was sitting beside him he was completely baffled and that's when we decided to do a complete clean re-install of my OS.

In conclusion two separate installs of this program one after a complete wiped drives re-install of my system my computer has again started experiencing weird shut downs.

I would never have considered the SUPER Anti.. could be the culprit but runnning XP pro service pack 3 and as I was considering the pro version I am now not feeling so secure with regards to such an identical computer shut down problem as the previous post user experience.

I am grateful for the post as mentioned I've never had my computer ever just shut down, inexplicably.

I believe there must be a glitch between the SUPERAnti.. and Microsoft, as MS is infamous for inconsistencies.

I would like to use the pro version of SuperAnti...but not until there is some resolution or discovery of what this glitch may be and how to fix it.

If Admin support for SUPERAnti... is aware of this post please advise.

Regards.

Deleteurself

Hello,

I am having the exact same problem, after SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition install in that my computer has just completely shut down without any cause, so I can't conceive it being a coincidence that another user is having the same problem.

I had SUPERAntiSpyware free a few months ago. And it did find few minor items during first scan so it was doing better than Avira personal free which discoverd nothing so I was pleased with the performance of the program.

However also during this period of the trial my computer itermittently shut down, like powers down as if it was unplugged??? Couldn't figure out what the issue could be with a computer IT tech so we..

Also did a full re-install and an update included service pack 3 and just the other day decided to reintall SUPER ANti...free again and yesterday my computer powered down again for no reason. I called my tech friend and he witnessed one shut down, even asked if I had accidentally disconnected the power supply but as I was sitting beside him he was completely baffled and that's when we decided to do a complete clean re-install of my OS.

In conclusion two separate installs of this program one after a complete wiped drives re-install of my system my computer has again started experiencing weird shut downs.

I would never have considered the SUPER Anti.. could be the culprit but runnning XP pro service pack 3 and as I was considering the pro version I am now not feeling so secure with regards to such an identical computer shut down problem as the previous post user experience.

I am grateful for the post as mentioned I've never had my computer ever just shut down, inexplicably.

I believe there must be a glitch between the SUPERAnti.. and Microsoft, as MS is infamous for inconsistencies.

I would like to use the pro version of SuperAnti...but not until there is some resolution or discovery of what this glitch may be and how to fix it.

If Admin support for SUPERAnti... is aware of this post please advise.

Regards.

Deleteurself

Thank you for the quick response to disable automatic re-start but my system is already set up that way. The re-start is and was unchecked.

Any advice is great, and very much appreciated! So Thank you for your tip.

I'm not going to uninstall right away I'll monitor the situation and re-post any feedback that worked or if the issue persists. What's a ticket?

Welcome to the SAS forum.

I've been assisting on this forum for about five years, and I don't recall ever encountering an issue like yours. With that being said, it seems like a driver issue.

Try disabling auto restart on errors, and see if you get an error code instead of the shut down.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm

Seth - I disabled Auto Restart - re-installed SUPERAntiSpyware, I ran a scan, removed 2 "Disabled SecurityCenterOption" Registry items and then it immediately powered OFF.

I uninstalled SUPERAntiSpyware and no more shut downs/power offs.

How could a new installed clean system get these "Disabled SecurityCenterOption" items?

I have a firewall up. Could there be some glitch between the Win XP PRO SP3 and some other HP software item that loads with the install that affecting SUPERAntiSpyware etc and causing the power off?

Seth - I disabled Auto Restart - re-installed SUPERAntiSpyware, I ran a scan, removed 2 "Disabled SecurityCenterOption" Registry items and then it immediately powered OFF.

I uninstalled SUPERAntiSpyware and no more shut downs/power offs.

How could a new installed clean system get these "Disabled SecurityCenterOption" items?

I have a firewall up. Could there be some glitch between the Win XP PRO SP3 and some other HP software item that loads with the install that affecting SUPERAntiSpyware etc and causing the power off?

I don't know at this point. My best guess is a driver conflict.

It's an issue that the developers will probably have to address.

Delete...are you using an HP as well?

I don't know at this point. My best guess is a driver conflict.

It's an issue that the developers will probably have to address.

Delete...are you using an HP as well?

The DisabledSecurityCenterOption is a detection of the windows firewall setting being disabled. Please trust and allow that detection upon your next scan. As far as the immediate shutdown is concerned; I have forwarded the information to the developers for further diagnosis.

The DisabledSecurityCenterOption is a detection of the windows firewall setting being disabled.

Yes, but it was a little odd to see it on a clean install. I'm thinking it had to do with Norton and the removal of such.

To anyone having this issue:

Please post your system specifications including Operating system; service pack, SAS version information as well as brand of computer.

Seth - Yes I too think that Norton had something to do with this.

Computer: HP s7600n WIN XP SP3 AMD CPU

SAS Version: 4.50.1002

BIOS: Phoenix Technologies,LTD 3.05 11/1/2006

The System and Applications logs from the Event Viewer are attached.

NOTE: I installed SAS Pro again last night - computer ran fine as long as I didn't start-up SAS - as soon as I started SAS today around 1:40 pm the computer powered off.

Event_Viewer_Apr_12___.zip

What version of norton are you using? Did you recently update?

I did a new install/recovery for WIN XP Media Center using the original recovery disks from HP.

Norton 2006 60 day trial was some of the software that was included (I had no choice it was put on the computer along with other trial software)

After computer was up and running a Norton window would keep popping up asking to complete the set-up for the 60 day trial.

I never completed this but used the NRT Norton Removal Tool (used it twice) to remove Norton.

A link to MajorGeeks explaining all this is in my first post here

I NEVER heard back from SUPERAntiSpyware support.

They sent me an email saying they would back but NOTHING.

I have the PAID Pro version.

It's been a FEW WEEKS now and I'm W-O-N-D-E-R-I-N-G...how long I am going to have to WAIT????????????????????????

You'd THINK they would of responded by now AND also a response in this forum.

On April 14th I received a 2nd email from support that said:

Your support ticket CSR00066346 has been updated

SUPERAntiSpyware.com <no-reply@superantispyware.com>

Apr 14 2011 (Thu)

10:52:15 AM PDT

SUPERAntiSpyware.com Replied:

Hello Craig Aloisio,

I have forwarded your information to the developers to see if they have any insight into the situation.

Regards,

SUPERAntiSpyware Customer Service

Hi Electro.

I can't comment on the ticket, but I'm wondering if for some reason SAS is consuming an excessive amount of CPU cycles, which in turn causes the CPU to overheat and the system to shut down.

1) What does your CPU usage normally show (from task manager), and how much does it rise when you try to run SAS?

2) Is your CPU heat sink clogged up?

I am a software engineer working on SUPERAntiSpyware. I would like to find a resolution to your problem.

Are you running as an administrator when this occurs?

At what point, during the running of SAS, does this occur? Immediately on startup, after a scan, during the clean/remove stage?

Do you have realtime enabled?

Thanks

Don

I am a software engineer working on SUPERAntiSpyware. I would like to find a resolution to your problem.

Are you running as an administrator when this occurs?

At what point, during the running of SAS, does this occur? Immediately on startup, after a scan, during the clean/remove stage?

Do you have realtime enabled?

Thanks

Don

WOW over 2.5 months after posting I had this problem with the SUPERAntiSpyware software someone from there ACTUALLY posted that they want to help resolve it.

I had given up on you guys as no one EVER replied from SUPERAntiSpyware after I got a SUPPORT TICKET on April 14. WHY issue a support ticket if you are not going to help me. I have the PAID version

I am in no way a complainer but give me a break guys this is POOR WAY OF DOING BUSINESS and POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE to a loyal supporter and promoter of your product to friends, family and co-workers over all these years.

ok DON to answer your questions:

1) I am always running as administrator - so yes it happens when logged on as administrator

2) It happens at different times; just after the computer starts and everything is up and running, sometimes after a scan, sometimes during a scan

3) it happens when Realtime is disabled and when it is enabled

Being that I never got help from you guys I had to take it off my computer and use another product and the computer runs fine now.

I would like to go back to using SUPERAntiSpyware as I love it when it works and have used it for a long time.

PLEASE try to figure this out so I can go back to using it again.