Sign in to follow this  
silverwolf0

All my programs stopped working, icons disappeared

I got a malware called XP Home Security on my old Dell computer running WinXP. The malware would prevent any applications from opening and popup a message saying my computer was infected and that I should buy their program. I had malwarebytes installed but it wouldn't run. I put a copy of SuperAntispyware Portable on a thumb drive and ran the program from there. It detected a trojan and several other stuff. When the computer restarted after removing the malware, all the icons on my desktop and explorer were blank white and every time I tried to run a program like firefox or the add/remove program from the control panel, the windows cannot open this file dialog pops up. What do you think is wrong with my computer now?

Thanks. That seemed to fix all my issues. Is there a way to fix all my program shortcut icons on the desktop? I did it with firefox by manually creating a shortcut and dragging it out to replace the blank one, but I have a lot of blank icons to fix.

You're welcome.

Run Tweak UI, click on "Repairs" and you'll see a rebuild icons option.

http://download.cnet.com/Tweak-UI/3000-2072_4-10002117.html

Just so all know; there is a SUPERAntiSpyware EXE file association fix as well; and it is not contingent on the operating system.

https://www.superantispyware.com/downloads/SAS_FixEXEfile.com

The malware resurfaced again. I had run both malwarebytes and antivir antivirus and removed whatever they found. I could get on the internet for ar session, but when I got on it a few minutes ago, the xp home security thing started to pop up again. I am running superantispyware again to delete it. The thing that has popped up in superantispyware that may or may not be the malware is called trojan agent/gen-fakealert[local]. It has 3 items listed when you expand it and one is listed as a running process so I assume it is it.

Make sure both MB and SAS are updated before running full/complete scans.

I also suggest you disable System Restore before running the scans. Remember to re-enable it afterwords.

One other thing, are you going through a router? The reason I ask is that the router may be infected.