Sign in to follow this  
Madeline

Downloading database updates....

.... takes ages! This is partly because I'm on dial-up and partly because it has to be done twice.

I usually right click on the icon in the Notification Area and then click 'Check for Updates'. This is fine as far as it goes, I get the latest database, but it's apparently not system-wide. If I go to SAS on my husband's user account, it still shows the old defs. I used to download the latest defs as a .zip file and open it in both user accounts, but even then, it either didn't always show the correct defs or the right date - I've forgotten which! Is there any way I can download the new defs just once please?

As it is, I update only once a day because it's so time-consuming. SAS seems to be the only program like this; with other programs I use, updates are system-wide. I find it odd too since scans do seem to be system-wide.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Madeline

.... takes ages! This is partly because I'm on dial-up and partly because it has to be done twice.

I usually right click on the icon in the Notification Area and then click 'Check for Updates'. This is fine as far as it goes, I get the latest database, but it's apparently not system-wide. If I go to SAS on my husband's user account, it still shows the old defs. I used to download the latest defs as a .zip file and open it in both user accounts, but even then, it either didn't always show the correct defs or the right date - I've forgotten which! Is there any way I can download the new defs just once please?

As it is, I update only once a day because it's so time-consuming. SAS seems to be the only program like this; with other programs I use, updates are system-wide. I find it odd too since scans do seem to be system-wide.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Madeline

The upcoming 5.0 has 30% smaller definition files as well as global definitions :)

The upcoming 5.0 has 30% smaller definition files as well as global definitions :)

That's excellent news, thanks. Another good reason to look forward to v5.0! In the meantime, I'll just go on updating as usual.

Madeline :)