fm12

I must say something...

Not too long ago (an hour ago) I came across a rather nasty form of malware (it shut down my computer O_O) called trojan.agent gen- fake alert steam... something like that. I had superantispyware on my netbook already, and when I saw that nasty malware pop up I ran SAS. It didn't find a thing... I felt like all hope was lost... Then I thought, Update SAS perhaps? All hope was not lost yet!! Once it completed the update, I ran SAS one more time, a full 45 minute scan. Sure enough, it found something this time. I removed it, then SAS prompted me to restart my computer and next thing I know my computer was working again.... at last..

Or so I thought, see this virus left an issue with my exe files on vista. This meant that I couldn't open anything without my computer prompting me "choose which file to open this application" and windows could not run this file since it does not exist, system 32 etc. After grueling minutes of research I found a solution... The first thing I did was do a system restore, and it worked. It was fixed....!

Now after this whole situation i'd just like to say thank you so very much for this program. Its amazing, its name does not lie. I will recommend this program to anyone who is looking for a good antispyware program. From now on, if I ever use someone else's computer and I see a program that isn't superantispyware, I will instantly tell the owner of that computer to get it.Thank you very much! Best of wishes from myself! :D

Thanks for your comments fm12.

Infections causing .exe files (or any other files) to not run is quite common. Using system restore to attempt repair of such isn't the preferred method. Reason being, the restore points are often infected or corrupt due to the infection(s), which can often result in re-infection, or the system not booting after the system restore.

The preferred method is to use a program that repairs the file association for .exe files, or any other type of file. Let me know if you would like further information on such programs.

Thanks for your comments fm12.

Infections causing .exe files (or any other files) to not run is quite common. Using system restore to attempt repair of such isn't the preferred method. Reason being, the restore points are often infected or corrupt due to the infection(s), which can often result in re-infection, or the system not booting after the system restore.

The preferred method is to use a program that repairs the file association for .exe files, or any other type of file. Let me know if you would like further information on such programs.

Thank you for your reply!

That was one of my concerns actually. Being the type of person who goes for the easiest solution, I was willing to do it before pondering those consequences. Though I feel safe now, I wouldn't know what to do if such a thing were to happen again in which the system restore files were infected. Would you perhaps consider giving me the names of such programs? Though nothing appears to be wrong right now, it could occur once again. I did lie though, sorry, prior to trying the system restore I did some research and tried an SFC SCANNOW solution. Later on I found out that such a solution could have potentially damaged my computer. See my skills in computer repair aren't too great. Its something I think I realize now...

You're welcome.

SFC/ SCANNOW won't repair the modified registry entries that control file associations. That command rarely fixes anything unless Windows specifically requests that it is run.

Once your system is clean, purge system restore by disabling it for the C drive, restart the computer, then enable it again.

Have a look here for easy and safe file association fixes for Vista and Windows 7:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html